Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1075 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 9, 2014
Posts: 2019
Look on the bright side - they escaped rent increases until now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Mar 20, 2007
Posts: 8342
https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-r ... n-1811239/
€2,950 Per month
Image

_________________
"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide." - Bertie Ahern, 4/July/2004
"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10348
mambo wrote:
https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/east-wall/8-church-avenue-east-wall-dublin-1811239/
€2,950 Per month

And why not? Three bedrooms ... should be able to get at least a dozen people in there. A snip at only sixty quid a week per head. :(

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3386
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
'Deeply troubling': Dublin rent €380 higher a month than at Celtic Tiger peak
Latest Daft report
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: Oct 11, 2017
Posts: 26
On a political level, it's difficult to see how any renter (and there is a great number of them) could vote for Fine Gael in the next election.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3386
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
Salamander wrote:
On a political level, it's difficult to see how any renter (and there is a great number of them) could vote for Fine Gael in the next election.
Only 33% rent, the other 66% want their "investment (home)" to appreciate. We can see now that FG don't want an election till 2021.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Oct 7, 2014
Posts: 1006
temene wrote:
Salamander wrote:
On a political level, it's difficult to see how any renter (and there is a great number of them) could vote for Fine Gael in the next election.
Only 33% rent, the other 66% want their "investment (home)" to appreciate. We can see now that FG don't want an election till 2021.


I've had this conversation with plenty of property owners. While it is depressing how many want increasing house values, plenty don't. This includes those who some day want to trade up, those who have kids trying to buy, and those who just don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 11764
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
Forcing up property prices is the only policy. Nothing else matters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 612
why the comparison to tiger rents that were actually relatively low,

its headline grabbing nonsense


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3386
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
cyrusir wrote:
why the comparison to tiger rents that were actually relatively low, its headline grabbing nonsense

Because 2008 was the highest rents had ever been


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 612
temene wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
why the comparison to tiger rents that were actually relatively low, its headline grabbing nonsense

Because 2008 was the highest rents had ever been


Yes and relative to property prices they were low and that was a decade ago


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3386
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
cyrusir wrote:
Yes and relative to property prices they were low and that was a decade ago

And property prices were fuelled by a cheap credit boom, and we citizens guaranteed the reckless lending by banks in September 2008. Rents were fuelled by inward migration of people building houses for us to flog to each other.
Now, rents are fuelled by mortgage restrictions, huge lack of supply, and again inward migration to fuel a boom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 612
temene wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Yes and relative to property prices they were low and that was a decade ago

And property prices were fuelled by a cheap credit boom, and we citizens guaranteed the reckless lending by banks in September 2008. Rents were fuelled by inward migration of people building houses for us to flog to each other.
Now, rents are fuelled by mortgage restrictions, huge lack of supply, and again inward migration to fuel a boom


You would advocate loosening of the mortgage restrictions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 9, 2014
Posts: 2019
Without doubt open market rents are expensive - however most tenants in Dublin have been protected from this reality by the introduction of the rent cap legislation. Perversely its introduction is contributing to higher rents by inducing private landlords to leave the market and thus reducing supply. A stabilization at these new levels will happen over the coming months.

However we are 14 months into the rent cap legislation. Without doubt on month 37 all tenants who benefited from rent cap protection will be faced with mark to market increases. These increases will not be captured in the current rental stats but will be felt much more widely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3386
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
cyrusir wrote:
You would advocate loosening of the mortgage restrictions?

No! Only pointing out where the rental demand is coming from


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1075 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com