Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: Post codes to be operational in 2 yrs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 pm 
Nationalised

Being widely implemented in telecoms now. It's the subject of intense industry discussions, especially round some edge cases in the implementation by Capita that are somewhat unexpected. For example, Capita allows you to take your Eircode with you when you move in certain very limited circumstances. This breaks lots of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:33 pm 
Speculator

Mantissa wrote:
Being widely implemented in telecoms now. It's the subject of intense industry discussions, especially round some edge cases in the implementation by Capita that are somewhat unexpected. For example, Capita allows you to take your Eircode with you when you move in certain very limited circumstances. This breaks lots of stuff.

That seems daft. Why on earth would Capita want to do that, perhaps for for deliveries to go to a previous residence (Eircode address) or to retain a Parcel Motel Eircode address with a person if they move?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

onioneater wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

That seems daft. Why on earth would Capita want to do that, perhaps for for deliveries to go to a previous residence (Eircode address) or to retain a Parcel Motel Eircode address with a person if they move?

It's Capita. The overriding objective is to become dug in like an Alabama tick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm 
Speculator

Eschatologist wrote:
onioneater wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

It's Capita. The overriding objective is to become dug in like an Alabama tick.

Not sure I understand how a person or a business retaining an Eircode on Capita's systems if they move would help Capita retain business?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

onioneater wrote:
Not sure I understand how a person or a business retaining an Eircode on Capita's systems if they move would help Capita retain business?

The more complex the requirements, the more entrenched the incumbent IT supplier, and the greater the revenue stream from changes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm 
Nationalised

onioneater wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

yeah weird

though I guess as they are nonsequential there's a little wiggle room technically

Quote:
Parcel Motel Eircode address

what is this now?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

During the big snow I recruited my neighbor and his 7 seater 4x4 to collect doctors and nurses from their homes and get them into work.

Eircode’s made that process painless and efficient.

For any staff wanting a collection all they had to do was give their number and an Eircode to a coordinator in the hospital. Then a list of numbers and Eircode’s were sent to the people who had offered to do the pick ups.

The process was very efficient and cut out all the BS that is normaly involved in finding someone’s house.

I don’t think we could have done it or at the very least it would have taken much much longer with out Eircode’s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
Speculator

slasher wrote:
onioneater wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

yeah weird

though I guess as they are nonsequential there's a little wiggle room technically

Quote:
Parcel Motel Eircode address

what is this now?

Parcel Motels have Eircodes. I was just speculating that perhaps Capita might store delivery addresses against people or businesses that don't change even when the people or businesses move. Or maybe store a registered address for a business that never changes even if the business moves. I have no idea - maybe Mantissa can explain what Capita are doing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm 
Nationalised

The edge case I know of is where a business moves within the same business park and only the first line of their address changes. Capita have allowed some businesses to retain their eircode in that circumstance. It probably makes perfect sense if eircode were only used for postal delivery, but imagine what that does to utilities who have recorded physical premises details against that eircode...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
The edge case I know of is where a business moves within the same business park and only the first line of their address changes. Capita have allowed some businesses to retain their eircode in that circumstance. It probably makes perfect sense if eircode were only used for postal delivery, but imagine what that does to utilities who have recorded physical premises details against that eircode...

Sounds like a recipe for future confusion and a possible nightmare for companies that have assumed that the eircode would always remain static.
An Irish solution to an Irish problem that really didn't exist in the first place. If they have any sense, they'll put a stop to that practice right now.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

Sounds like a recipe for future confusion and a possible nightmare for companies that have assumed that the eircode would always remain static.
An Irish solution to an Irish problem that really didn't exist in the first place. If they have any sense, they'll put a stop to that practice right now.

Yeah tis crazy.

Another issue is the lag in issuing new eircodes. First of all Capita have to wait for An Post Geodirectory to identify a new premises (e.g. a new development is built). Geodirectory provide this data to Capita quarterly. Then Capita generate eircodes and provide them to subscribers quarterly (I believe). So there can be up to a 6-month lag from a house being built to utilities having your Eircode. However in the meantime Capita show the new eircode on their site. So a customer will move into their new house, look up their own eircode, and call a supplier who will not have the Eircode in their systems at all. I believe there are moves afoot to speed up the process but still these edge cases piss people off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property