Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Sellers ignoring the new BER requirement.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:59 pm 
Single Home Owner

I was just enquiring few properties (three in total) with the local EA and I asked him about the BERs. None of the 3 had it. Are sellers just not taking it serious? Is it not their own interest? Or the opposite?

Is there anything which the buyer can do, demand, report, etc about this?

Post subject: Re: Sellers ignoring the new BER requirement.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Galego wrote:
I was just enquiring few properties (three in total) with the local EA and I asked him about the BERs. None of the 3 had it. Are sellers just not taking it serious? Is it not their own interest? Or the opposite?

Is there anything which the buyer can do, demand, report, etc about this?

jayzus you want to inform on them for not having a BER! :lol:

Just tell the EA you wouldn't be prepared to view a house that had no BER done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 pm 
Nationalised

From 9th January 2013 the BER has to be on the advert. It'll be interesting to see how that is enforced.

Quote:
Most landlords and homeowners are required by law to have a BER certificate for their property so that potential renters or buyers know how energy efficient it is. It helps assess the running cost of the home.

The BER cert covers energy use for space heating, water heating, ventilation and lighting calculated on the basis of standard occupancy.

A BER certificate is accompanied by an advisory report which will identify how you might improve the energy performance of your home.

SEAI chief executive Brian Motherway said: "The new requirement to display BERs in property adverts from January 9 is good news for consumers as more and more people will become aware of the energy performance of a property before they even consider buying or renting it.

Indo, 4th January 2013, more...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It's the law of the land to have one in place at sale or lease - not sure who to report it to though.
There is probably bad reason for the omisson in each case - and if you are seriouslyl
conteplating a purchase on a gaff with one - get your own done prior to bid
if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Is it not only required from 9 january?
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=657247

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing & moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' - Bertie Ahern 04/07/07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm 
Single Home Owner

Tis Meself wrote:
It's the law of the land to have one in place at sale or lease - not sure who to report it to though.
There is probably bad reason for the omisson in each case - and if you are seriouslyl
if possible.

To be honest, I cannot afford to pay for a BER for each property which looks appealing to me. With the new law I was expecting sellers to have them done by now (this was announced back in November) so I could view the BER report myself and not just to be told the BER rating.
I may be too picky or demanding........or just stupid of me thinking that seller would have it so soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Got one done when I sold my house in 2009 - I remember when I looked into it that I could have improved my rating significantly by changing to low energy light bulbs and improving the lagging jacket on the immersion!

After that I never bother with it when looking at houses. Seemed like a money making racket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Galego wrote:
Tis Meself wrote:
if possible.

To be honest, I cannot afford to pay for a BER for each property which looks appealing to me. With the new law I was expecting sellers to have them done by now (this was announced back in November) so I could view the BER report myself and not just to be told the BER rating.
I may be too picky or demanding........or just stupid of me thinking that seller would have it so soon.

Well the vendors are going to have one for any buyer from this month.
Not everyone of your choices needs back-check - just the final chosen one for bid.
From what I hear there are a few too many tame or attached assessors out there - so just be careful out there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

It's also illegal to use a handheld mobile phone when driving, anyone know who I might report this to?

More practically, my experience of bers is that vendor mostly only gets if they think it's good or when the sale is Being concluded.

I think there is also an element of subjectivity based on some of the results I have seen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

My understanding in France is that you have to publish the BER when advertising the property. This dates back a few years at least.
It's very rare to see a property advertised without a rating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 pm 
Single Home Owner

ex-Patrick wrote:
My understanding in France is that you have to publish the BER when advertising the property. This dates back a few years at least.

Was in France a few weeks back and walked past an estate agents in a small French town. It had the standard A4 sheet ads in the window each advertising a single property. The big difference however is that half of each Ad was the graphical version of the BER rating.

Twas a bit over the top really, you couldn't see much from the photo of the house and the amount of blurb text was very limited. I'm guessing the size was imposed by regulations of some kind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

neiljung wrote:
ex-Patrick wrote:

Was in France a few weeks back and walked past an estate agents in a small French town. It had the standard A4 sheet ads in the window each advertising a single property. The big difference however is that half of each Ad was the graphical version of the BER rating.

Twas a bit over the top really, you couldn't see much from the photo of the house and the amount of blurb text was very limited. I'm guessing the size was imposed by regulations of some kind.

Lads, with respect France may be a great model for our civil servants to follow but it's terrible for taxpayers and citizens who labour under costly regulations. Anyone one know if this costly BER requirement is an EU requirement or an option which our regulation-addicted government signed up for?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Quote:
Building Energy Rating (BER) is a requirement of the EU Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings (2002/91/EC of 16 December 2002), which has now been transposed in Ireland by the European Communities (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations 2006 (S.I. No. 666 of 2006).
It's number 666, :shock: http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/General/Why_is_There_a_Need_for_Building_Energy_Rating_BER_.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm 
Old Time Landlord

I wish more properties for sale had BER ratings then it would be easy to see which house will cost me less to heat. at the moment we are viewing a couple of houses built in 98, they are really solidly built but I have no idea if they would cost much more or less to run than a 2008 built house of a similar size??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:16 pm 
Nationalised

Took a picture last June when on holliers (a pinsters is always on duty) of how Parisian EA displayed the BER certifications in their windows. Must post it up.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property