PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:17 pm 
Nationalised

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:18 pm 
Nationalised

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:42 pm 
Nationalised

I think when you match the figures of what size of mortgage loans first time buyers are getting with the above you can read a pattern.
This pattern is backed up by a bank report i read before (I will link that when I get a chance) and basically first time buyers dont want apartments, they want houses and they are mostly buying houses. Look at the consistency in the amount of detached houses built year after year in the above graph.

I think the speculators bought a lot of duds.

duds = apartments.

Oh oh can we have that in the glossary TUG

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:44 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:
75% of FTBs purchase a dwelling between 100,000euros and 250,000euros.
It also says 39.9% of FTBs buy a 3 bed semi and 36.1% buy detached and that a very small % buy apartments (5.4%).

The above quote is from this thread http://thepropertypin.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

about this article

http://www.esri.ie/irish_economy/perman ... report.pdf

Now posters who were on that thread can you tell me if I am going crazy or not but did they alter their report to leave out information. Information like what we discussed !!! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:54 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
duds = apartments.

Oh oh can we have that in the glossary TUG

:P

The glossary is in open development and therefore anyone can contribute.

Personally, I'd rather not say all apartments are shit because they're not, I've seen some decent developments. Personally, I think the madness is when people convince themselves a mid-terrace house is better than an apartment just because it has the magic word "house" attached.

There's some serious issues with all these terraced developments that have gone up in suburbia and commuterville.

I mean if you can't get access to the garden without going through the house, that's just not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
Personally, I think the madness is when people convince themselves a mid-terrace house is better than an apartment just because it has the magic word "house" attached.

There's some serious issues with all these terraced developments that have gone up in suburbia and commuterville.

I mean if you can't get access to the garden without going through the house, that's just not good.

No access to the garden is definitely not good, especially if you own mud loving dogs. But not all terraces are in new developments. Many terraces built 120-40 years ago were well built and more spacious than many modern detached houses. It might be a pain to keep your bin out front but you have your own front door, no management charges, nobody under or below you and you generally own the freehold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:13 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
iguana wrote:
No access to the garden is definitely not good, especially if you own mud loving dogs. But not all terraces are in new developments. Many terraces built 120-40 years ago were well built and more spacious than many modern detached houses. It might be a pain to keep your bin out front but you have your own front door, no management charges, nobody under or below you and you generally own the freehold.

Totally and maybe I should have specified, new-build.

What I also love is how the lingo has now changed to calling mid-terrace, "townhouse"... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 pm 
Homeless

What if said "Townhouse" is actually in the city centre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm 
Nationalised

A small terraced house (about 500-700sq ft ish) in Ireland has historically been called a 2 up 2 down or else a "Housheen" , I'll stick to "Housheen" ta v much can you glossary that pls :wink:

I would have thought a townhouse was a semi or mid terrace or non detached house with no front garden, replaced by parking to the door.

sometimes no back garden either :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

SBB wrote:

Then 9 times out of 10 it will be pre-faced with the word "Georgian" :D

When I was looking for a house I would never include the term townhouse in my searches. To my mind a townhouse is a house shaped duplex on top of an apartment, like this: http://www.myhome.ie/search/property.as ... earchlist=

And they are rarely freehold. I can never understand how so many people feel so strongly about owning, often for emotional rather than logical reasons, yet they are happy enough to buy leasehold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:18 pm 
Homeless

Those Georgian Townhouses are not freehold properties btw they were built on 999 year leases - almost all of the inner city (between the canals) in Dublin is leasehold. As are most of the more desirable areas of London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

SBB wrote:
Those Georgian Townhouses are not freehold properties btw they were built on 999 year leases - almost all of the inner city (between the canals) in Dublin is leasehold. As are most of the more desirable areas of London.

A huge amount of property in London is leasehold. Even just ordinary streets and terraces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:11 pm 
Property Magnate

SBB wrote:

so in the country its a country house....not great for the mental images of having arrived, kinda destroys the importance of being earnest, not much fun bumberrying around a 2 up 2 down country house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:14 pm 
Property Magnate

ex tenement quaint arisans cottage

ex council house - established communnity

duplex - apartment thingy

townhouse - apartment thingy.

terrace - two story apartment thingy...

do they pass muster for the dictionry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:30 pm 
Nationalised

Well if investors have bought duds then things in Castleknock are bad getting worse

http://www.thepropertypin.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1830

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property