Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Post codes to be operational in 2 yrs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:04 pm 
Property Magnate

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news ... 92373.html

I am really looking forward. The existing system is rubbih.

Post subject: Re: Post codes to be operational in 2 yrs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:08 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Dempsey announced postcodes in 2005, to be in place for 2008!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:12 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

But why 3 letters and 3 numbers, would 5 numbers aka the US system not be better?

"This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-story crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'. A large crisis requires a large plan. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants." - Blackadder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 pm 
Property Magnate

I enjoyed a system in the Middle East where everything was numbers. Area, block, road, building and then apartment if applicable. Screw up a single number in area / block and there is no chance of letter getting through. I would suspect letter / numbers are better in this respect. Also I am sure three letter / three numbers lend themself to more combinations and better systemisation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
Property Magnate

The first to suffer will be the EA. The scope for b/s about the area in the sales add will be reduced. This is also a condition mos likely without which it would be impossible to introduce a UK-style house sales prices record.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Pretty good article by Damien Mulley in the Sunday Times on this topic. Sunday 28th September 2008.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 837446.ece

Quote:
Why do we need a postcode if we can log on to Amazon.com, order our books and tell the site our GPS coordinates? Or if we don’t have a GPS device, we just click on a Google Map, zoom into where our house is and tell Amazon: “there I am; remember that for next time, too”.

Quote:
When it comes to postal addresses though, it’s An Post and not the OSI that has the most accurate database. An Post knows where every single house is, even O’Sullivan’s up the hill outside Dingle, the one that’s not that other O’Sullivan’s. Unfortunately that database is kept in the heads of post office staff.

An Post and its unions clearly have an advantage here and will do their best to keep this amazing database private. The argument in favour of postal codes was that it would route around the hard-to-access data that An Post had on addresses. But when everyone is going to be GPS-equipped in the medium to long term, this idea doesn’t make sense any more. We will all eventually be able to broadcast our location with GPS devices.

This looks like being e-Voting Mark 2. Decide you need something. Go to tender. Buy something for obscene amount of money. Realise after a couple of years that you've just bought an out of date pile of shite.

1. Do you need it?
2. Are there free solutions?
3. Ignore 1 and 2 and spend spend spend.

Last edited by Howitzer on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

While this might look like some kind of progress I view it with utter suspicion. This is a money-making scam for An Post. They will be the owners of the list - targeted junk mail and telephone calls will become the norm. Opt out clauses are, in my experience, worthless - I get quite a lot of crap through my door and in my ear already despite being on every 'preference' list. If my experience in the UK is anything to go by junk communication will rise by an order of magnitude. Be careful what you wish for. However, on the bright side, the gubbernment are almost certain to f**k it up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Here's an article about a solution that an Irish company has already come up with (no conection).

http://www.directionsmag.com/article.ph ... 2897&trv=1

It's a pretty good solution and would work with virtually zero cost. Sorry, I'll correct that, already works with virtually zero cost.

This article came out in October last year so, what with Lehmanns and all, I'm not surprised Eamonn Ryan hasn't got round to reading it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:48 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Yes, talk about reinventing the wheel! The PONC system is already up and running at zero cost to the taxpayer. All An Post need to do is start using it. Last I heard PONC were talking to satnav people to get them to incorporate the PONC on their systems. Somebody send the url to Eamonn Ryan asap! :roll:

F*cking civil servants! XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:53 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

coc wrote:
Last I heard PONC were talking to satnav people to get them to incorporate the PONC on their systems.

Done
Quote:
Garmin, the manufacturer of the most popular consumer GPS receivers in Ireland, has implemented PON Codes for testing on the Garmin Nuvi 700 series of SatNavs and has received extremely positive feedback for navigation requirements by the logistics community and emergency services.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

You guys are idiots, seriously.

You go out finding working solutions to problems, that don't cost anything.
Do you fucking realise that we're in the middle of a recession?
There's are literally thousands of public servants trying to justify their jobs, and this is all you have to offer.

What if someone finds out about this PONG system or whatever it's called? What then?

I'll tell you what then. No working groups. No 3 years of investigation.
No reports that have to be reviewed by still another working group.
No Taoiseach saying that the findings of the report require a long term implementation.
No implementation group.

It's gurriers like you that'll have half the public sector out on the Dole.

And then ye'll come up with some sort of computerised Dole system so even the social welfare
staff are let go. Let me guess, there's a system called OpenDole that's free and available for download.

-Rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Sorry. My bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm 
Nationalised

I put the PON code from my gaff in the Postcode field for deliveries and around half of all couriers use it nowadays out my way .

It is a letters and numbers system and is not controversial in Gaeltacht areas because the letters are not like BAC or DUB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Urghh, just listened to Eamon Ryan on Matt Cooper. Worry not RD, the jobs of countless pen pushers is safe.

A couple of points jumped out.

Existing Dublin post codes will be incorporated into the new system, so your code will be something like D4XXXX. - A obvious sop to the Irish Property lobby.

For "privacy reasons" the code will be designed so it only narrows your address down to one of, maybe, 40 properties. Hopefully this was just a bit of waffle as, by design, this means any rural postcode will be useless as it may encompass an area the size of a townland. It also sounded like these postcodes were being generated manually somehow, like there was a room full of PS employees merilly digitising polygons.

As described, this will be a new e-voting fiasco, The orignal progblem not understood, left in the hands of Civil Service fools, distorted to cater for every lobby group until the final product is pushed out serving no real purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

OpenDole

LOL....

We are experiencing the most profound global economic crisis in seventy years. As Martin Wolf observed in the Financial Times on January 7, this is the year in which the fate of the world economy will be determined, maybe for generations. Hopes that the globally unbalanced growth of the middle years of the decade can be restored are mistaken. The only question is about what will replace it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next