Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: Post codes to be operational in 2 yrs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

grumpy wrote:
Frankly I was staggered that she managed to pen an article without mentioning the LGBT community, abortion rights or Trump.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 pm 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:
marcexec wrote:
I have to admit I was sceptical of Eircode and would have preferred a geolocation based system.
I have since come around and realized the benefits to state agencies, especially in the absence of a proper cadastre system as it at least gives every mailbox a unique ID.

Yeah once you realise that most applications want a contact point, or delivery point, rather than a geographic point it makes much more sense than a pure geo-based system, which is ironically extremely ambiguous for many applications.

Could the two elements not have been combined? I know Eircode said they couldn't arrange geo-based sequential codes, as this wouldn't allow for new buildings, but surely there was a way around this that would still tie codes to a location?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Journalist discovers Ireland's furniture retailer is looking for eircodes and concludes that eircodes are of no use whatsoever!

I am glad I gave up the IT subscription.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:15 pm 
Nationalised

mortgageboy wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
marcexec wrote:
I have to admit I was sceptical of Eircode and would have preferred a geolocation based system.
I have since come around and realized the benefits to state agencies, especially in the absence of a proper cadastre system as it at least gives every mailbox a unique ID.

Yeah once you realise that most applications want a contact point, or delivery point, rather than a geographic point it makes much more sense than a pure geo-based system, which is ironically extremely ambiguous for many applications.

Could the two elements not have been combined? I know Eircode said they couldn't arrange geo-based sequential codes, as this wouldn't allow for new buildings, but surely there was a way around this that would still tie codes to a location?

Yes and no. It would have been possible to use a geo-based co-ordinate set but only issue a subset of those co-ordinates; however that doesn't really help in practice since you still need a central agency to (1) issue the post codes and (2) provide a file that can be used to verify that a post code is valid. Given that you need a central agency, you then want to fund it using licence fees, so you need to obscure the post codes somewhat to make it commercially viable. And anyway you lose the value of having it be co-ordinate based if you can't derive your post code from your co-ordinates.

Essentially you can't have a system that is both:
1 - Useful for identifying premises; and
2 - Usable without reference to a central database

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:16 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Mantissa wrote:
She really is terrible. She didn't even do sufficient research to find out that it has nothing to do with An Post ("An Post’s poorly designed postcode system should already have been returned to sender")

An Post unsurprisingly took umbrage at her lies/inability to factcheck her own prejudices:

Quote:
The original subheading on this column referred to ‘An Post’s poorly designed postcode system’. An Post has pointed out that it had no role in the design of eircode and that it has no responsibility for monitoring the uptake of eircodes. This was edited on February 13th, 2017.

She reads like a parody of an idiot liberal snowflake journalist, except that wouldn't be funny...and it really isn't funny that she gets paid for this drivel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm 
Single Home Owner

Letter from da minister with some eircode usage facts.

Very ignorant effort at a rant from Una, the IT need to find a new controversialist to draw in those clicks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Have you noticed how Una's current profile pic looks like it was taken while she was being told off for doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 pm 
Nationalised

Terra Incognita wrote:
Have you noticed how Una's current profile pic looks like it was taken while she was being told off for doing something wrong?

Spot on !

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 am 
Nationalised

I don't follow Una Mullaly like I did that atrocious Isabel Morton thing the Times hired years ago. So I simply don't know if she is crap.

But as i live out the country with 3 near neighbours named Patrick Fahy I do understand what the motivation was for creating Eircode. However, ultimately the best location data for deliveries is your Mobile Number.

Couriers always ring to see if you are actually at home and if not then that local garage will do fine and you can get it on the way home. No amount of postcoding will cope with a closed door and nobody home which is normal during courier business hours as we are all at work. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

2Pack wrote:
However, ultimately the best location data for deliveries is your Mobile Number.

Couriers always ring to see if you are actually at home and if not then that local garage will do fine and you can get it on the way home. No amount of postcoding will cope with a closed door and nobody home which is normal during courier business hours as we are all at work. :)

Yes, I have to agree with this, but we have come to an arrangement with the regular couriers to place the parcel in a certain location at the house. And the mobile phone is still useful for giving directions to those who can't read a map or still refuse to use the postcode to locate us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm 
Nationalised

Serious question: How are deaf people supposed to receive parcels?

Address and postcode? No pal, I must talk to you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

slasher wrote:
Serious question: How are deaf people supposed to receive parcels?

Address and postcode? No pal, I must talk to you!

And what about people with no arms! How are they supposed to receive parcels?

Eircode hadn't thought of that!

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41