Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: What they said, when they said it. Quotes from VIs.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:19 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Let's not bring up the embassing truth :) Anyway it is much more comforting to blame everything on FF.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:40 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Luan wrote:
Let's not bring up the embassing truth :) Anyway it is much more comforting to blame everything on FF.

Where did i say that. Dont embass yourself

"Those who yearn for the end of capitalism should pray for government by men who believe that all positive action is inimical to what they call thoughtfully the fundamental principles of free enterprise." - JK Galbraith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 am 
Too Big to Fail

Andy wrote:
Carrot and stick wrote:
Andy wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:

In fairness, to take the analogy further, all the other passengers were asking the captain to sale faster toward a bigger iceberg.

I must say, I thought Charlie yesterday was quite funny. The tooing & froing over whether he did anything wrong was gas. Those lads are slippery eels.

Someone here has the quote from Junkcer "We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it"

Gas lad alright
Increased public spending by 50%
Funding tax cuts with property taxes
Decentralisation
Loans from Fingers
Massive increase in spending and public service during the boom
FFS

I think decentralization was a good idea but isn't politically feasible given strength of unions.

Whatever about the public service the least we should be doing is trying to incentivise private companies to locate to the regions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:24 am 
Real Estate Developer

Can you elaborate why there should be an incentive to move to regions?
All the infrastructure is in place to suit the current arrangement.

Irving Fisher, economist, October 17, 1929 wrote:
Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau

Gold and Economic Freedom by Alan Greenspan - 1966
http://www.constitution.org/mon/greenspan_gold.htm

Milton Friedman best moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kx__dnAWqQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:41 am 
Property Magnate

Andy wrote:
I think decentralization was a good idea but isn't politically feasible given strength of unions.

Decentralisation has happened albeit not to the scale envisaged by McCreevy. What sunk it was the financial crash not unions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:15 am 
Nationalised

Decentralisation is a good idea. Selecting the locations based on the Minister in charge is beyond pathetic. Gateway towns with good transport links? Nah. Caher-fuckibg-civeen!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 am 
Too Big to Fail

conork wrote:

As opposed to piling ever new company within 25km of Dublin city center with the corresponding pressure it puts on Housing costs, water supply, traffic gridlock etc etc. Not a rural/urban divide but clearly the infrastructure in place can barely support the current set up never mind adding to it. Not saying every new company should be forced out of Dublin but clearly there needs to be a more long term balance adopted or else in 50 years most of the population will live in Dublin (prob a slight exaggeration but you get the idea).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm 
Real Estate Developer

NegativeEquity wrote:
conork wrote:

As opposed to piling ever new company within 25km of Dublin city center with the corresponding pressure it puts on Housing costs, water supply, traffic gridlock etc etc. Not a rural/urban divide but clearly the infrastructure in place can barely support the current set up never mind adding to it. Not saying every new company should be forced out of Dublin but clearly there needs to be a more long term balance adopted or else in 50 years most of the population will live in Dublin (prob a slight exaggeration but you get the idea).

There's a strong argument that we should be aggressively developing Cork, Galway, Limerick, etc. I think there's an element of denial about the future of rural and small town life though - especially for people on lower incomes, insisting on such an inefficient way of living is going to continue to come at a high personal price (including, in this case, access to jobs).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:07 pm 
Real Estate Developer

NegativeEquity wrote:
conork wrote:

From personal experience the state agencies do their very best to encourage companies to locate outside of Dublin but it ultimately comes down to the companies themselves. They want to be where Google and Facebook are, to share in that pool of talent, to be in that vibrant atmosphere. They insist on being within an hour of an airport that has flights to the US. If it's Dublin or somewhere else in Europe the state agencies have to go with Dublin.

As you correctly point out Dublin can no longer support this. The problem is that the energy spent on encouraging companies to locate outside of Dublin is too diffuse - they really need to concentrate on , say, Cork and Galway. Both are nearly there in terms of IT and Pharma. The air links are feasible - even Dublin based companies are flying to the US via London, Schipol and Frankfurt so as long as you have links companies can see the possibilities. Unfortunately both these cities are as gridlocked as Dublin with accommodation costs well above those in comparable European cities.

The thing is native Irish people could set up companies in these towns - but they don't - they follow the same criteria as the multinationals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

muirgheasa wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
conork wrote:

There's a strong argument that we should be aggressively developing Cork, Galway, Limerick, etc. I think there's an element of denial about the future of rural and small town life though - especially for people on lower incomes, insisting on such an inefficient way of living is going to continue to come at a high personal price (including, in this case, access to jobs).

I'm all for this, decentralise to Cork, Galway, Limerick, etc. No point trying to situate the next "facebook" in somewhere like Moate and wasn't suggesting decentralising to small towns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 pm 
Nationalised

NegativeEquity wrote:
No point trying to situate the next "facebook" in somewhere like Moate and wasn't suggesting decentralising to small towns.

Companies are always looking for an economic Moate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Barney Gumble wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
No point trying to situate the next "facebook" in somewhere like Moate and wasn't suggesting decentralising to small towns.

Companies are always looking for an economic Moate.

haha I like it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:49 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Sorry, sorry, sorry https://inquiries.oireachtas.ie/banking/hearings

..with hindsight, the supervisory measures taken by the authority, which I will be outlining in this statement, were not sufficient to meet the challenges posed by the crisis and the recession that emerged. I am deeply sorry about that.
- Patrick Neary, Financial Regulator

I’m very sorry that this ultimately happened on my watch. - Brian Goggins, BoI

I wish to express my sincere regret for my part in those events, and to renew the apology which I made at the AIB AGM in 2009.. - Dermot Gleeson, AIB

I’m very sorry for what happened and my role in these events. I know a lot of people were let down and feel very angry – deservedly so … I take personal responsibility for my actions and omissions. - Eugene Sheehy, AIB

..this does not alleviate the sense of deep regret I feel, as a member of the senior management team in a registered authority that was not more intrusive and did not prevent the collapse of the financial system.
- Con Horan, Financial Regulator’s office

..not seeing the unsound nature of the financial sector was a bad mistake. - John Fitzgerald, ESRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:34 am 
Property Magnate

In an article in the Indo today entitled Nama to build 20,000 houses by 2020 the finance minister is quoted as saying:
"The property model was now probably irretrievably damaged. However, Mr Noonan ruled out simply giving property developers tax breaks, as is being lobbied for by the construction industry."

He further goes on to say:
"What worries me is I was here in the '90s and I contributed to the debates on three Bacon reports. Every one of them was to solve a supply problem in the market and take overheating out of the market. And every time the State intervened, it got worse."

Yet he is happy to meddle with the CB rules - Noonan wants Central Bank to review mortgage caps for first-time buyers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:35 am 
Nationalised

bedsit wrote:
In an article in the Indo today entitled Nama to build 20,000 houses by 2020 the finance minister is quoted as saying:
"The property model was now probably irretrievably damaged. However, Mr Noonan ruled out simply giving property developers tax breaks, as is being lobbied for by the construction industry."

He further goes on to say:
"What worries me is I was here in the '90s and I contributed to the debates on three Bacon reports. Every one of them was to solve a supply problem in the market and take overheating out of the market. And every time the State intervened, it got worse."

Yet he is happy to meddle with the CB rules - Noonan wants Central Bank to review mortgage caps for first-time buyers

I told yis before Noonan is a Gemini. This is what you have to expect.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next