Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Viewing Highly Recommended - The Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 am 
Migrant

Name: Gab28

House buying status: Renting, looking to buy a family home now

Employment status : employed

AAM status: None.

View on Irish property crash: an avoidable; I feel sorry for those who bought their home and are on negative equity. Someone else should have paid for the crash..

Where would I buy property: Dublin (12)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 am 
Holiday Home Owner

Name: TurboBaby

House buying status: Renting outside of Ireland with no immediate desire to buy

Employment status: Private sector – international trade

View on the public sector: It's bloated and there are too many benefits, but as it's so difficult to get fired and there's major resistance towards lower wages, I can see it being a problem for decades.

AAM status: Don't post there but I got banned from boards.ie

View on an Irish property crash: On first look, the property crash was a disaster for Ireland, with families being crippled by massive personal debt and no real means of escape. However, the bubble was the problem, not the crash and personally speaking, lower house prices benefit me and in the long run, the wider economy. Once we reach realistic market prices, the market will function as normal again and capital will be freed from investing in houses and instead go to real wealth creating areas such as manufacturing, research and small business growth.

Where would I buy property: Singapore

View on Ireland: I believe we are on the right path (austerity) but it needs to be austerity for all. I don't necessarily mean the wealthy, who got rich from hard work and innovation, I mean the individuals connected to the political class who are not suffering like average family are. Those who ate at the government trough during the Bertie years.

Interests: economics, investments, football, cooking, tv/cinema.

Bullish on: Hard assets, junior mining stocks, real free market countries such as Singapore and Hong Kong.

Bearish on: the US dollar (massively!), sovereign bonds.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:09 pm 
Homeless

Greetings Pinsters. I have lurked for years and sourced facts and opinion from this site that one never sees in the press, or on commercial or state broadcasters. If one does, it lags the pin by days and sometimes even weeks - in particular the mediocre Irish Times, and the utterly hopeless Irish Independent.

The time has come to contribute, and to seek wisdom from the Pin!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:48 pm 
Migrant

Name: Muirster

House buying status: Renting with friends in Dublin, will consider buying in Cork or Dublin in next few years.

Employment status: Public sector (education), temporary contract.

View on the public sector: Mainly contradictory. I see it as bloated, overpaid, with an attitude of entitlement by some, but also many people are suffering from cuts, particularly affecting frontline staff & services. There are a lot of v dedicated & hardworking people doing their best with the resources they have.

AAM status: None

View on an Irish property crash: Had I been born five years earlier, I could well have been caught up in it, but even at the age of 18/19 I remember thinking it was all madness. Luckily my Dad thought so too & put me onto the Pin where I found solace & some sanity in the madness. I think the crash could have been an opportunity in disguise, had it been handled properly, ie selling off distressed properties at the market value, particularly for those of us who saved & didn't take out insane mortgages, but I see too much talk about protecting Mary & Jim in order to ensure their McMansion they built/bought with the bank's money isn't taken. Am v disillusioned, but I love Ireland too much & family ties are too strong to leave. For now at least. I'm toying with learning German to keep my options open though.

Where would I buy property: Cork/Dublin/possibly Kerry

View on Ireland: I love my country but despair for the 'ah sure it's grand' attitude of its people.
Too many are allowed away with too much, to the detriment of all. Until I see Bertie & his ilk in jail I will not believe that any lessons have been learned or that the the right people have been punished.

Interests - cooking, tv/cinema, current affairs, education, tech.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

Meant to do this ages ago

Name: NegativeEquity

House buying status: Recently purchases first house

Employment status : employed

AAM status: Have an account - never posted - use the Savings best buy section that's about it.

View on Irish property crash: An avoidable mess - no sympathy for a most who crashed and burned afterwards - you reap what you sow. Disaoppointed there was no public hangings of the politicians involved.

Where would I buy property: Barbados

View on Ireland: My avatar says it all.

Interests: economics, investments, football, music/guitar, brewing, gardening

Bullish on: Fook all at moment

Bearish on: Everything at the moment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:33 pm 
Migrant

Name: Forgetful

House buying status: 1st time buyer 2014

View on an Irish property crash: The bubble was huge and lumbering, the crash was huge and lumbering, and I think the 2012-2014 rises were just a huge and lumbering dead cat bounce, being artificially inflated by the government. I see all my friends suffering from artificially high house prices, and artificially high rents and it makes me sick.

Timeline for crash: Difficult to say when the cat will drop again. In the medium future when interest rates rise there will be pandemonium.

Where would I buy property: Near family, not too close to low lying land near the coast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:21 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Thought I might as well fill this in, as I seem to be posting a fair bit lately.

Name: WorstPigeon (It kind of made sense at the time, somehow)

Job:: IT (software engineer)

View on public sector: I think they get far too muck flak, though I envy their pensions.

House buying status: Dodged a bullet not buying with first proper job after college like everyone was telling me to; I know a fair few people who did. Been renting for last decade and have decent savings as a consequence; now looking to buy as a first time buyer. Being very fussy, however; not in a huge rush due to current flat/falling prices, and if I buy I want it to be for a long time; I still ultimately believe prices will fall a lot in the future.

I nearly bought in 2013 when my then-landlord wanted the place back for use as a short-term let, but was too busy at work to get around to it and just rented a new place, which I now regret greatly :)

AAM status: Had an account (or a couple; lost old login details) for ages, rarely used it.

Views on Ireland: We have our problems, but ultimately I prefer it to any other Anglophone country, and that's all I speak properly, so...

Where would I buy: Dublin 4, 6, or bits of 8, maybe bits of 2. Ideally walkable to work in city center, with good public transport. 2 bed apartment or small house. Rented mostly in D8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 pm 
Migrant

Thought I might as well fill this in, as I seem to be posting a fair bit lately.

Job:: Civil Engineer

House buying status: Currently looking to buy as a first time buyer. We can afford about 250-300k which doesn't make for too pleasant searching in the greater dublin area. I work in Swords and her in Sandyford or Leixlip. She normally starts at 7.30 so is before the traffic and I ride a motorcycle so we're a bit more flexible in terms of location.

Where would I buy: Dublin 8, maybe bits of 24. Looking for something with a garage or access to rear garden to store my bike, other than that 2bed+ but don't want to be taking on much renovations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:52 pm 
Nationalised

Alkers wrote:

:?: :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:08 pm 
Private Tenant

Name: A41

House buying status: Renting, saving a nice wedge for a deposit. Wouldn't go near an apartment built in "da boom".

AAM:Never used it

Where I would buy: A house with a back garden for storage. A 25-30 min cycle, with good public transport to work. Not that the public transport can be counted on!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 am 
Migrant

Name: Anthracite (not real name)

House Buying Status: I'm in the industry.

AAM Status: Bunch of fascists. Golfing pricks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21