Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viewing Highly Recommended - The Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 am 
Nationalised

Name: ps200306

House buying status: Bought in 1988, sold in 1989. Too busy to try to get back on the ladder until 1994, when prices had already gone up more than I cared to pay. Have taken the view ever since that Irish house prices are a) insane, b) signify some deep malaise in the Irish psyche. Nevertheless, bought a site in Wexford and built modestly and cheaply, c. 1998-2003. Thought commuting to Dublin would be a drag, but now I love it and don't want to move back.

Employment status: IT guru.

View on the public sector: Was a public servant myself many years ago. It's a pretty sick place, despite a lot of hard workers. Same the world over. It's not going to change. When the IMF comes and axes half of them, they'll inevitably be the wrong ones.

AAM status: Never liked it, ever since my first attempt at signup was rejected due to an inappropriate username(!). Haven't gone near the joint since discovering the Pin.

View on an Irish property crash: Sorry for all the people who got sucked in, including many friends. Don't know why I was immune. Natural caution, perhaps. I saved, and bought/built for cash. Will never take out another mortgage if I can help it.

Where would I buy property: SCD, if I ever buy again, and can do it for cash. Won't fret if it doesn't happen for a long time.

Interests: Learning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
First Time Buyer

Name - GruttePier
Sex - Male
Age - Good
House Buying Status - n/a

View on Irish property - Still overpiced.

View on the public sector - Spoiled. Obviously overpaid. I remember reading some analysis on FT alphaville regarding the differences between pay in public and private sector that was done for the 2002 (?) benchmarking, but in the end did not feed into it because it did not support the hypothesis that public sector was underpaid. This pay combined with other terms of empoyment like days off for study and pension (plus one year lump sum) are grossly generous. I believe the Croke Pork deal is morally wrong. Any country facing problems (e.g. the deficit) like Ireland does, should not cut services etc.. but reduce the public sector wage bill to bring it in line with the private sector and include all variables.

View on Ireland - Where to start? It depresses me every day. I just cant understand how most things are so badly managed and run. And not just in the last 10 years, but far before that. First thing that should be changed is the electoral system. Having local representatives in a national parlement does my head in. More tasks and reseponsibilities should be assigned to county council level. Plenty of other things should be changed (HSE, FAS, driver license system, stop teaching Irish history on schools). But in the end of the day there is little hope anything will ever change, the corrupt culture is there in the higher echelons. This together with the apathy of the Irish, will make sure things will not change. Every day I work with the most talented people, just dont understand why as a collective it fails so badly.What Ireland needs is a 166 German TD's in the dail, and that takes a lot for me to say, being Dutch :D
Why am i still here? On an individual level I find Irish people the most pleasant I have ever met. Also the sea and nature make it a great place to live.

Would I Emigrate? - Well , I emigrated here, but luckily work wise etc... I would be able to go tomorrow if I want. In general though Ireland is great for kids to grow up in so family reasons dictate I am still here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:03 pm 
Homeless

Name - Kumakku
Sex - Male
Age - 31
House Buying Status - Never Bought.

View on Irish property - Needs to fall by another 50%

View on the public sector - High wages/benefits have done nothing except make the county vastly overpriced, as an IT employee making a normal wage, I have struggled through the boom years to make ends meat. The Depression is the best thing that ever happened as far as i can see.

View on Ireland - I like Ireland a lot, but I find there is basically an attitude problem, I hope in the future people can address this. Irish people are nice, but too forgiving and apathetic to the things that really matter.

Employment : IT - just quit

Would I Emigrate? - I'll be gone by the end of the month.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Name: pyrite manor

House buying status: Bought in 2005 home is in an estate riddled with pyrite which destroyed plans to sell at a profit in 2008
Employment status: Public Sector, Education

View on the public sector: Tired of lazy cliches from those in the Private Sector, media etc, those in glasshouses etc...

AAM status: Found that it gradually became less relevant over time.

View on an Irish property crash: A lot of people were consumed by greed during the party times. It'll be one LONG hangover. Hate to see where it will all end.

Where would I buy property: Northside, or Rural County Dublin. Prices there are still crazily unrealistic with a lot of dumps still looking for mad amounts of money

Interests: Sport, culture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 am 
Homeless

Name: McM
Age 35
House buying status: Bought doer upper in 2003, stupidly remortgaged it in 2005 to buy over seas property. Looking for 4/5 bed family home in SCD
View on an Irish property crash: Its going down. Where it will end nobody knows. 80% from the peak for SCD hopefuly
Timeline for crash: The Fear is here. Bottom 18 - 24 months from now
Where would I buy property: D4 / 6 Donnybrook or Ranelagh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm 
Private Tenant

Name: Diego Murphy

Sex: Male

Employment Status: Private Sector

Housing Status: Renting with a friend in Cork City Centre. Nice two bed apartment.

View on Irish housing market:Vendors are still not being realistic. I was speaking with an "old school" retired Auctioneer and he was saying that we'll only start buying and selling properties as a nation again once people forget about the dizzy day prices. Saying that you lost 50% on an artificial price just isn't realistic. I think there is further to fall. Personally i wouldn't land myself with a mortgage of more than 160k but i genuinely feel that when i decide to, i will end up buying a nice place for that.

Views on the crash: 10 times ppls salaries....it was always going to happen. From a personal point of view, a part of me is glad it has happened. Otherwise i'd never have even been able to consider buying.

AAM status: Use it to keep an eye on any ways to save money on share dealing. Otherwise nada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Name: taxpayingbagholder

House buying status: living at home. want to buy a 3 bedroom house in dundrum area for e100k when the prices bottom

Employment status: employed in logistics

View on the public sector: cut the waste, reduce numbers by 50%

AAM status: dont know what that is

View on an Irish property crash: market will bottom in 1-2 years when the imf come in

Where would I buy property: a nice part of south dublin

Interests: precious metal, property, inflation,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Name: JohnnyTheFox

Employment Status: Still in long-standing job elsewhere in Europe but doing a mixture of telecommuting and physically commuting from Ireland.

House Buying Status: Just sold our family home in that other European country to move back to Ireland. Living with my parents here while we try to buy. I got turned down for a mortgage (even though I was only looking for < 40% value and < 1.5 x earnings) for spurious reasons so now am forced to do what I can with the cash we got from selling our former home. I was really pissed off with the bank at first but I now view this as a blessing in disguise as it will force me to be disciplined and not overpay and will mean we will stay debt free.

View on the public sector: Never had much time for the public sector generally but most of my personal interaction with front line employees since I came back has been positive. But I'm jealous of the pension entitlements and outraged by some of the benefits and work practices that I know about through friends working in the public sector.

View on Irish housing market: Vendors too emotionally invested in prices at the peak. Too many houses are only for sale in the sense that they have EA signs hung up but unrealistic price expectations means they are not really for sale. One of the three houses on our short-list has been on Daft for three years and another for two years. I think that mindset is so prevalent it is going to take a glut of NAMA residential properties or bank repossessions coming onto the market to really get prices to a sensible level and get the market moving again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:37 pm 
Homeless

Name: I ate all the pies

House buying status: Never Owned Property

Employment status: Engineer (Telecoms)

View on the public sector: Scapegoated

View on an Irish property crash: Expected it, Fictitious Capital and all that Jazz!

Interests: 0%

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 am 
Homeless

Name: Zoran
House buying status: Homeowner
AAM status: Now an Occasional visitor still with all my post count. ???
View on an Irish property crash: It happened in Ireland. Coming to an Australia near me, soon!
Timeline for crash: I'm based in Australia, but of Irish/Slovak origin. Australian house prices started crashing in the past few months and we'll see a steady deline for about three years, I believe.
Where would I buy property: Australia, in three years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm 
Homeless

Name: halfprice

House buying status: From Australia, lived in Dublin last 3 years. Wife and I have house in Australia. Looking to buy at the bottom of market in Ireland for soon to be family and dog/s.

Employment status: DINKS (An Australian term - Double Income No Kids) - but soon to be kids! (I notice that the DINK term has not been adopted in Ireland - so let's start it now!)

View on the public sector: inefficient and needs work - salaries must be cut (same as private sector), efficiency/productivity must be rewarded

AAM status: dont know what that is

View on an Irish property crash: still plenty to go - coming from overseas 3 years ago we were SHOCKED by what people were paying, for what was in reality - shite... also it was easier for us coming from Australia at the time 2007 to avoid buying when 500k Euro was 1 million AUS dollar - so avoided it like the plague

Where would I buy property: we rent in Castleknock, but looking in SCD for a 3-4 bed with a garden (please God)

Interests: XBOX360 and investing in property and shares. Reading the Property Pin (great (informed) craic!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Name: Firstbass

House buying status: have a house in Holland rented out. Bought and sold again in Germany.

Employment status: working, thank god. So is my wife.

View on the public sector: FF made a fatal mistake (amongst all their other ones) in allowing public sentor pay to chase rising house prices, in an upward spiral. They may be scapegoated to some extent but the reality is we can't afford to pay the levels of pay and pensions anymore.

View on property market: There's starting to be a few houses at realistic prices e.g. €2-3000 per sq metre in SCD. The ones priced right are selling, but there's still a huge amount of overpriced property clogging up Daft and Myhome. Average prices still have a long way to go. Based on my experiences of buying in other countries we get terrible, really poor quality houses in Ireland for the money

Where would I buy: southside, redbrick land, or along the coast.. same as most people I suppose :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am 
Migrant

Name: ppatisu

House buying status: Bought in 1993, sold in 1994 (in a great location in SCD-- that in hindsight would have been nice to hold on to) and emigrated (for 2nd time). Bought in US (west coast) in 99 and still own the house. Just rented the house and moved back this year to see how things will work out (and see family more often)... although have the option to head back to US if necessary next year (will depend on work as well as healthcare issues).

Employment status: software developer (currently working short-term contracts via US business).

View on the public sector: reboot needed, but will be dragged out as long as possible. too many folks sucking off the dysfunctional parts of the system that don't want any change but have influence (esp. recent retirees on large packages)

AAM status: rarely/occasional reader.

View on an Irish property crash: feel bad for those that got screwed and pissed off at those that feel like they did nothing wrong (who annoyingly are still revered in many circles!). country needs a perp walk (as much as it needs to win the rugby world cup!!)... although not going to happen IMHO (rugby maybe 8DD )

Where would I buy property: SCD apartment if prices ever get low enough... (although not likely for a few years)

Interests: Learning/education re: surviving the choppy waters ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:36 pm 
Homeless

Name: Formerly known as Honest Barrister

Sex: Male

House Buying Status: Wife bought near the peak in 2006 in Inchicore, might upsize in two years.

Employment Status: Barrister. General civil, insolvency.

View on the public sector: Bloated, with gold plated unaffordable pensions. However, there are plenty of hard working underpaid public sector workers (outside HSE).

AAM status: No interest. Sometime politics.ie viewed & namawinelake always.

Views on Irish property crash: Morgan Kelly has called it right all along; David McWilliams too. The “Dork from Cork” poster on irisheconomy.ie is right on the money too. We are in a debt deflation spiral which will strangle our economy until currency debasement or default. Property taxes and emigration will see house price stagnation, except that some small pockets of undersupply will cause localised price increases.

It is embarrassing that the DPP (soon to retire) has not managed to charge anyone with anything arising out of the whole farrago, including Michael Lynn, Michael Byrne, the Maple 10, and all the other kleptocrats.

Where would I buy: Monkstown, Ranelagh.

Interests: Quiet pint. Loud music.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:42 pm 
Nationalised

Welcome 'Seen too much'. Great intro.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next