Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viewing Highly Recommended - The Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Name: Mr Magpie
Employment status: Private Sector - Medical Devices/Software

House buying status: Despite constant cajoling by parents did not buy, did the maths one day and it did not make sense, understood little about property/property prices buy knew it did not add up

AAM status: Occasional lurker for advice on saving a shilling or two

View on the public sector: Have a lot of friends that are teachers, they do not endear themselves with some of the 'complaints' they make.
I imported a few cars, remember going into the customs house in Galway to pay the vrt, sitting in that office would make your blood boil!!!

Where would I buy property: Galway

Interests:Mountain Biking, reading (fiction, history, science), rugby

View on an Irish property crash: To use a blackjack analogy, the VI's were doubling down and winning - they had four hands all on 20, but the house got BlackJack. now they try and recoup lost gambling money, playing the same game, it never ends well, walk away.

Timeline for crash: How long is a piece of string?
Every month we save the price of a mortgage repayment, every month houses fall by about a mortgage repayment, that knocks about another month of the time required to repay the interest on the mortgage. So ones saving are 3xSavings, add that to the dearth of mortgages being issued it is easy to see why the only buyers are cash buyers.

View on Ireland: As long as we elect people to make decisions for us we will never progress from parish pump gombeen politics. Every few years politicians come and tell us how wonderful life will be under their benovelant rule, once in power they shaft us and line their pockets. We no longer live in a democracy, yeah we have elections but for what? Lies and broken promises, same shite different party!! FG tell us that the election was democracy in action by kicking out FF, yeah I'm sure the ousted FF politicians on 3 pensions are absolutely heart broken. When you see people like Ivor Callely and others so obviously abusing the system you know the game is rigged and nothing will change without fundamental change at every level of elected office.
All major decisions should be put to the people. Asking them to vote for option A,B C,..., the technology to make this happen exists. Democracies should have a large element of Direct Democracy so the government will be held in check throughout their tenure, and not just for the period up to the election.

People are very cynical now, and won't be fooled quite so easily, they don't believe what they are told by banks, politicians, etc... I remember my grandfather would not trust banks, Doctors, Priests, Guards... At the time I could not understand it, I thought he was old fashioned and crazy, but not i see why. You trust someone/thing, you get burned, the trust never comes back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 am 
Real Estate Developer

Name: Sala

House buying status: renting a cheap but adequate one bed, hoping to buy maybe 2012/2013

Employment status: employed and despise job

View on the public sector: I work in it and am sick of hearing people complain that we all have great perks when I have none of them!
In reality, the moratorium is ridiculous - not filling necessary posts but allowing useless and lazy permanent people stay, do no work and get paid generously for it. Worthless people need to be fired. We definitely need the private sector idea of "Permanency"

AAM status: Lurker

View on an Irish property crash
: Am selfishly gleeful. I thought I would never be able to afford a home in Dublin - now it looks as if I will eventually buy one, a three bed and garden to boot!!
That said, I do feel terribly sorry for people who bought modest but overpriced homes during the bubble.

Where would I buy property: In my dreams, Dublin 2 or 4...close to town, but quiet and safe. On my rubbish (public sector!) salary I need to be realistic and so I am tentatively looking at Marino, and am getting very excited as they have fallen into my price bracket already.

View on Ireland It's depressing. The whole country seems to be suffering from low self-esteem. We are great people and could be a great country if we had the structures in place to support and encourage innovation. And, despite what a lot of people say, I don't think we are doormats. I think the last few years have shown that we are realistic and hard working - everyone recognised the country was in s***e and striking and rioting weren't going to change that.

Interests: drinking wine, browsing daft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:15 am 
Holiday Home Owner

what's aam??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Locutus wrote:
what's aam??

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:07 pm 
Old Time Landlord

Name: Barmiest Loon
Age 35
House buying status: receiving a transfer of ownership
AAM status: discovered AAM from reading the pin
Employment status: Self employed
View on Irish property: the property price rises of last ten years did far more damage to the country than economic. The people are a shadow of their former selves.
Views on Ireland: see above. That said, about to move back after a ten year absence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 pm 
Homeless

Name: fabo

House buying status: Bought a “starter home” in a new west Dublin estate in 2004 – sold in 2009 at a significant loss because I & Mrs fabo realised where the property market in general and our estate in particular were heading. Renting elsewhere and licking my wounds since then. Hoping to buy close to current location in early / mid 2012.

Employment status: Private sector – engineering (non-construction related)

View on the public sector: Most individual public sector workers don’t deserve the bashing they have received in the past few years – however most public sector employees don’t realise how cushioned they have been.

AAM status: Only heard of it from thepropertypin

View on an Irish property crash: The crash was inevitable, necessary and bloody painful for anyone directly affected.
Stabilisation of the market won’t be anything like uniform across the country. Desirable practical family homes (i.e. moderately sized 3 / 4 bed semi-detached houses with proper sized gardens in mature well serviced areas) will stabilize long before the general consensus on this forum would like to think. Undesirable crap (i.e. apartments located beyond city-centres and poorly built cramped houses with gardens the size of postage stamps) will take a very very long time to stabilize or recover. The price gap between desirable homes and most of the crap built in the last decade will continue to widen for the foreseeable future.

Where would I buy property: D6W, D16, D14.

View on Ireland: The Celtic Tiger years gave us the national self-confidence that we had always been lacking – unfortunately we then lost the run of ourselves and fecked the whole thing up. Things will improve and hopefully this time we will have the maturity to not make a balls of it again.
Polliticians need to be lobbied / harassed into introducing legislation that will prevent the next bubble (max mortgage term of 20 years, max loan amount based upon sensible income multiples). If this isn’t done another bubble is inevitable. This won’t be populist though as it will cement the losses of anyone currently in negative equity.

Interests: technology, cooking, playing with my children

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:54 am 
Too Big to Fail

Name: FreeFallin

House buying status: Bought a starter home in small Sth Dub estate in 2003 – currently residing there with the Mrs and child. More children planned so need a bigger place. No point in even trying to sell the gaff as it's in negative equity and don't want to take the hit.
Looking now to buy a 4 bed in D6W/D14/D16 areas. Been watching the market for a 18months+ and houses that were well outside my range are now within touching distance. But to wait and let them fall even further???

Employment status: Public sector

View on the public sector: serious reality check needed still. Unions call the shots and lots and lots of deadwood drawing big salaries just by having been there for years. Job for life attitude makes the place rotten. There may be too much middle mgmt around allright (most doing damn all), but their hands are tied

AAM status: On it since early noughties. Found this by someone mentioning it there

View on an Irish property crash: Suppose I can say it was always going to happen but did'nt see it coming. No one around me was talking about it. The fear of selling and taking a profit but then not been able to buy anything better made me sit still.
There's at least another 10-15% fall next year and probably a few % after to come. But that would still leave 4 bed semi-d's in some areas of SthDub at 10-15 times the average wages....so what does that say?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:29 pm 
Homeless

Hello! I was Grasshopper, but forgot my password and got blocked. Am now reincarnated as grasshoppertoo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 am 
Migrant

Name: ONQ

House buying status: Bought in 2002, heading for negative equity unless the banks lend again and support the economy they feed off.

Employment status: Almost self-employed.

View on the public sector: Unproductive heads need to roll, productivity needs to improve all round, unnecessary jobs must go.

AAM status: "former poster" ONQ - on the "Sites, Planning Self-Builds and Extensions" Forum and others.

View on an Irish property crash: Move on, but be aware of what's going on in the world.

Where would I buy property: Happy where I am

View on Ireland: Want to play a part in the recovery

Interests: Family, career, seeing Ireland recover.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:48 am 
Under CAB Investigation

onq wrote:
... unless the banks lend again and support the economy they feed off.

They feed off the economy (that is to say extract actual wealth while replacing it with debt) so long as the economy is not real - i.e. falsely inflated/debt based. The economy must be based on fundamentals before the banks can support it. That means reductions in the prices of property to their true economic value. Welcome to reality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 pm 
Homeless

name pinaddict

age cant tell you that

status long time reader and home owner

I love reading the pin but have never had the confidence to post before.

thanks

pinaddict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm 
Speculator

Name: Lawrence

House buying status: Flat from 2004 deep in red, house from late 2009 also in red

Employment status: Left well paid job in Ireland due to taxes, got a better paid job in Saudi with no taxes

View on the public sector: Slash and burn

AAM status: None

View on an Irish property crash: JAFB (just another effin bubble)

Where would I buy property: Retirement gaff in south of France

View on Ireland: Will be back once kids reach secondary school

Interests: Family, job, beach on weekends (we have that in Saudi, yeah), no time for anything else

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm 
Homeless

Name: Wooden Horse.

House buying status: Bought in 2002, in negative equity.

Employment status : Self-employed.

View on the public sector: Overpaid and over-upholstered. Still, have to carry a great deal of the tax burden. Not entirely unsympathetic.

AAM status: None.

View on Irish property crash: An avoidable tragedy. However, now that we find ourselves at that tragedy, I eagerly await a vengeful last act.

Where would I buy property: Dublin (6W, 8, 12).

View on Ireland: I am irrationally hopeful on her behalf.

Interests: The art of living.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 pm 
Homeless

Name: Lefay

House buying status: Have a PPR and a very-bad-investment property. Probably not buying or selling for a decade, but fascinated by the market.

Employment status : Public sector.

View on the public sector: Variable. The public sector isn't one vast monolith and common generalisations are often not valid from one area to the next.

AAM status: Retired!

View on an Irish property crash: The inevitable result of light-touch regulation, cheap money, the Irish obsession with property ownership and 19th century landlordism, and a series of back-firing attempts to regulate the market which pumped more hot air into the bubble at almost every stage.

Where would I buy property: No non-lottery-funded plans to move...

View on Ireland: The economy is stabilising, but the length and depth of the recession has been seriously bruising for huge numbers of people who were already overextended, but managing. I'm cautiously hopeful that things are turning around, and very hopeful that that will not mean a return to bubble-nomics.

Interests: In no particular order, current affairs, reading, food and drink, property, animals.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 pm 
Homeless

Name: Quillow / Al

House buying status: Until recently we were looking. We've now deferred at least a year because the bank will not give us what we want.

Employment status: Private sector – Accountant.

View on the public sector: There's a lot of deadwood spread across the various civil service departments. These need to be removed. Public sector should be run like a company and those not performing should be removed without any hassle. Stuff like this also annoys the crap out of me. €113,649 - €145,953 for "Head of Student Experience". Very, very few public servants should be earning €100k + in an economy like ours (perhaps in any economy).

AAM status: Only ever use it to see the Savings Best Buys

View on the Irish property crash: Was inevitable. The day I saw tiny 4 bed room houses for sale for €795,000 close to where I live was the day I knew it wasn't going to last.

Where would I buy property: D16

View on Ireland: I love it some days, hate it others

Interests: Computers, Football, Rugby, Golf, Most Sports in fact, Reading, Keeping fit etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next