Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next
 Post subject: Re: EU "will not bail out Greece"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:46 pm 
IMF'd

Coles2 wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
Syriza back in. Euro lurches lower.

Two interesting things -
Syriza (shorn of the 'hard' left) back in, trouncing everyone else.
The 'hard' left splitters didn't make the 3% threshold.

To me it speaks volumes about a desire for fairness - nothing particularly radical, just that the tax system is trustable, that there's a floor of provision below which people don't want to go, that special interest groups don't get special deals.
Indeed. Same as before the election.

Well, except there's no doubt about where they want to be. In the euro, in the EU...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:03 pm 
Nationalised

The insane hardliners who split from Syriza back in August were wiped out after failing to meet the 3% electoral threshhold for seats. This included the whole of the "Debt Truth Commission" which repudiated all of Greek debt by deeming it odious. A bad day for the Boyd_Barrett Tendency that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Well that didn't take long.

Government that instigated bailout programme calls national strike against bailout programme that it instigated......
Quote:
SYRIZA’s Labor Policy Department called on all workers, unemployed, pensioners and students to join the general strike on Thursday.

In an official announcement, the left-wing party department urges Greek citizens to “actively respond” to the pressure of creditors who continue “the dynamics of extreme, unpopular neoliberal policies.”

- See more at: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/11 ... 3Bj5e.dpuf

I can just imagine Cameron on the blower to Tsipras "2015 was yours, ok? 2016 is mine!".

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:14 am 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
Well that didn't take long.

Government that instigated bailout programme calls national strike against bailout programme that it instigated......

LOL :D :D How is this different to a normal Greek strike then???? :D

http://www.ekathimerini.com/203358/arti ... -to-a-halt

Quote:
The strike has been called by the main public and private sector unions, ADEDY and GSEE. As a result, all public services, including tax offices and utilities, are due to be closed. Public hospitals will be operating with skeleton staff. Pharmacists, doctors, teachers and bank employees will also walk off the job.

Looks like a normal Greek strike to me TBH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 pm 
Nationalised

While Greece got a few € disbursed so far since the election .....the government has also had defections and now has a wafer thin majority especially if there is a contentious vote.

So Tsipras is back looking for opposition support again tomorrow. Opposition support got him through the summer when his very left wing defected ( only to be wiped out totally in the election)

http://www.ekathimerini.com/203827/arti ... ty-leaders

Quote:
At the meeting, the prime minister is expected to present the key points of Athens’s draft plan for pension reform.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:00 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Tsipras is toast - I see one of his central elections pledges has been broken with the privatization of Greek airports going to none other than a German company. It's only the tip of the iceberg though, just wait until he gets to tackle public sector spending - the time frame for his government to fall must only be in months.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... t-35643262

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:22 pm 
Nationalised

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 am 
Property Magnate

Merkel's terrorism against Greece didn't cow the Spanish voters. Tsipras correctly observed that los votantes had issued a crippling defeat to austerity.

Southern Europe no longer has any Austerian governments with a parliamentary majority.

Game not over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:43 pm 
Nationalised

Look who has an offshore bank account!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/worl ... 596933.ece

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:53 pm 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:

Last updated at 12:01AM, October 27 2015?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Greece passes reform bill including the Superfund which will last till 2115

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 36580.html

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:06 pm 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:

Ha, I missed this. I wonder what he has to say about offshore accounts?

Varoufakis, back in April wrote:
Off-shore accounts are utterly useless to those who do not want to cheat their own tax authorities. Simple!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

Off-shore accounts are utterly useless to those who do not want to cheat their own tax authorities. Simple!

He denied it at the time on his blog. He asked for a retraction from the Times and Telegraph. I take it he didn't get it.

Yannis wrote:
...Our campaign for Transparency Everywhere! can thus begin now, in this post. Below the reader will find, in response to the reports regarding the fees, format and travel costs of my recent and future speeches an account of where I have been, whom have I addressed, complete with fees and travel costs.

List A refers to political speeches I gave (or plan to give) since my resignation from the Greek Ministry of Finance. My fee for delivering the bulk of these speeches was the radical number ‘zero’. In three cases I received a small sum (mainly because the organisers insisted I should).

List B comprises two speeches/appearances which I delivered commercially to maintain my economic independent from vested interests and to my other activities. (Note that this ratio of about 12 to 1, unpaid to paid, appearances was also my practice as an academic prior to 2014, when I decided to throw my hat in the ring of politics)....

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 am 
IMF'd

tulip wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

He denied it at the time on his blog. He asked for a retraction from the Times and Telegraph. I take it he didn't get it.

Yannis wrote:
...Our campaign for Transparency Everywhere! can thus begin now, in this post. Below the reader will find, in response to the reports regarding the fees, format and travel costs of my recent and future speeches an account of where I have been, whom have I addressed, complete with fees and travel costs.

List A refers to political speeches I gave (or plan to give) since my resignation from the Greek Ministry of Finance. My fee for delivering the bulk of these speeches was the radical number ‘zero’. In three cases I received a small sum (mainly because the organisers insisted I should).

List B comprises two speeches/appearances which I delivered commercially to maintain my economic independent from vested interests and to my other activities. (Note that this ratio of about 12 to 1, unpaid to paid, appearances was also my practice as an academic prior to 2014, when I decided to throw my hat in the ring of politics)....

I don't particularly doubt him, but the whole issue with the offshore thing is people deciding they are tax compliant and that they don't need to declare anything to their tax authorities. The problem is with people who decide that it's all fine so they don't have to tell anyone (and likewise companies).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 am 
Holiday Home Owner

I wonder if this talk for his pal David McWilliams is one of the paid for appearances?
https://dalkeybookfestival.ticketsolve. ... /873554351

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next