Post subject: Commuter Belt: The Benefits of Suburban Life - Metro Herald
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm 
Speculator

Saw this in this morning's Metro Herald.

Link to the full article here (page 25):
http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2010/03/11/

Quote:
Thousands of people live in Dublin’s commuter belt, which over the past decade has extended well beyond the M50, lassoing
counties such as Cavan, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Meath,Wicklow, Westmeath and Wexford. As property prices spiralled out of control in the capital, buyers were forced further afield in search of more spacious, reasonably priced homes.

What is left after the downturn is an inexhaustible list of counties – and isolated estates in Co Dublin – from which exhausted drivers travel to the capital for work before facing the same bleary-eyed journey home. Or is that just what smug city folk like to think? The truth is that unlike residents of Dublin city, those living in the commuter belt have the physical and psychological space to enjoy their time off, simply by escaping the chaos of the capital every evening. And with improving public transport links, commuter-belt dwellers are no longer pitied as the city slickers’ poor relations.

Anna Durkan of estate agents Durkan Residential says there are great deals on houses in areas outside the capital, such as the Luasbound Citywest. ‘First-time buyers who may have bought smaller places in the city are now moving out to the commuter belt and buying four-bedroom houses,’ she says. ‘The thing is, the transport links are improving all the time, which can only boost prices later on. It depends on what the buyer wants, but there is great access to sports clubs, like Gaelic and rugby, in these areas.’

Better public transport is a godsend for anyone who has already bought, or, is planning to buy outside Dublin. Gorey resident Jonathan Luff spent almost two years travelling to Dublin for work and experienced first-hand the improvements to the train service to Pearse Station which now operates six times a day. ‘At first, I had to start my train journey by taking a 15-minute drive to Arklow Station as it wasn’t until well into the first year that they included Gorey on the Dublin run,’ he explains. ‘The journey itself took around two hours and I’d spend this time chatting with other commuters, reading or relaxing; which was all very rewarding.’

Further down:

Quote:
Closer to the city, first-time buyer Eilis Slattery has been living in Adamstown, 16km west of Dublin, for more than a year. The best of both worlds, the development is the perfect distance from the noise of the city while having excellent public transport into the capital. It also has three schools, some of which hold night classes, and there is a local grocery shop and a bar, while the area’s new coffee shop is expected to open any day now.

Post subject: Re: Commuter Belt: The Benefits of Suburban Life - Metro Herald
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm 
Nationalised

Whats the bets that coffee shop will never open.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:01 pm 
Single Home Owner

Who wants to bet me a fiver that article was written by the IAVI?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

If you do have a long commute then you might as well convince yourself of the merits of it, especially if there is no option to get out of it.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
- Cicero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Where's the bit about parents not seeing their kids from 7-7?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 pm 
Nationalised

rebelbuttmunch wrote:

Under the benefits section...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

yoganmahew wrote:
rebelbuttmunch wrote:

Under the benefits section...

Heh, that actually gave me a chuckle, because I've just been shouting "get back into to bed" at the kids. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 pm 
Single Home Owner

Quote:
Heh, that actually gave me a chuckle, because I've just been shouting "get back into to bed" at the kids. :)

Get off the internet and look after your kids!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:20 am 
Real Estate Developer

Try and convince this Person who wants to swap a 2,200 sq ft bungalow for a matchbox in Dublin :nin
Quote:
RURAL CARLOW - MAGNIFICENT SCENIC LOCATION MINUTES FROM MOTORWAY - SWAP FOR DUB APARTMENT?

2200 sq ft, architect-designed house, split level 3-bed bungalow on 1-acre site with glorious views. Photos of house and views on request. Underfloor heating. Broadband. Just few minutes from Dublin-Waterford motorway almost completed. Swap for 2-bed apartment. Particularly interested in Heuston South Quarter, Kilmainham Sq., Canal Sq/ Hanover Quay areas

[url]http://www.daft.ie/discussions.daft?dcn[discussion_id]=124361&dcn[root_discussion_id]=0&dcn[forum_id]=9[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 am 
Speculator

Quote:
‘The journey itself took around two hours and I’d spend this time chatting with other commuters, reading or relaxing; which was all very rewarding.’

sounds great, rather have a chat down the local with a few friends than some headcase on a train. if i have to get a train i will do my picross, not make new friends..

Quote:
the development is the perfect distance from the noise of the city

im about 6k out and i still cant hear it, i dont think can hear it in fairview park if i am down that way. this article is pure fluff

Quote:
the area’s new coffee shop is expected to open any day now.
[/quote]
BD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I have to say I have had two experiences of this..

The first was when we moved from Cork in 2002, we lived in a small village outside of Naas, lovely house, lovely neighbours, but I hated it...commuting as far as Lucan for me was a pain in the tits, up in the dark, going home in the dark.

We now live in Maynooth and when I was commuting in 2007 I loved it, I'd walk to the train, in Pearse in 40 mins, Dart to Sydney Parade, no matter what the weather I loved it.

As a friend said to me... give it a year or two and see if you are still loving it, lamently I couldnt.

A lie takes 15 lies to cover up, and its a geometric progression....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:48 am 
Too Big to Fail

Metro Herald wrote:
The truth is that unlike residents of Dublin city, those living in the commuter belt have the physical and psychological space to enjoy their time off, simply by escaping the chaos of the capital every evening.

What chaos? I live a 30 minute walk from O'Connell Street in a house with a garden which I'm looking to put garden furniture into so I can have breakfast outside in the summer - never quite got around to it last summer because I only moved in there mid June. I live 15 minutes from work. I live 15 minutes from the beach I spend most of the summer on. I live 15 minutes from the climbing wall where I usually climb 2-4 times a week during the winter. I live 10 minutes from DCU. I have a decent public transport system into town if I don't want to drive.

Against that I rent, but I made the quality of life call about 5 years ago when teh choice was Dublin or Slane and I don't regret it. I'd go crazy if I had to spend any longer commuting to work than I already do because there are so many other things I have to be doing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

This really is a terrible article, if you want to live in a country town live in north county dublin. Simples.

"Dah's not salt, it's pepper ye muppet"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Calina wrote:
Metro Herald wrote:
The truth is that unlike residents of Dublin city, those living in the commuter belt have the physical and psychological space to enjoy their time off, simply by escaping the chaos of the capital every evening.

What chaos? I live a 30 minute walk from O'Connell Street in a house with a garden which I'm looking to put garden furniture into so I can have breakfast outside in the summer - never quite got around to it last summer because I only moved in there mid June. I live 15 minutes from work. I live 15 minutes from the beach I spend most of the summer on. I live 15 minutes from the climbing wall where I usually climb 2-4 times a week during the winter. I live 10 minutes from DCU. I have a decent public transport system into town if I don't want to drive.

Against that I rent, but I made the quality of life call about 5 years ago when teh choice was Dublin or Slane and I don't regret it. I'd go crazy if I had to spend any longer commuting to work than I already do because there are so many other things I have to be doing.

Sounds nice!
I got myself an allotment to quell my urge for the countryside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:45 am 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
JackWade wrote:
Saw this in this morning's Metro Herald.

Link to the full article here (page 25):
http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2010/03/11/

Quote:

Eh, what chaos? :?: