Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kilkenomics - DMcW organises an economics festival in No
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 pm 
First Time Buyer

Quote:
Wouldn't agree that the Russian number cruncher stole the though the show, more like he wouldn't shut up and give everyone else a chance to talk. A lot of what he said was rubbish as well, Germans cannot afford BMW's or Mercedes, that rubbish, the German roads are littered with them, he also said to give someone a total number of years on the social welfare for life, say 5, and when they use them up that's it, cast them aside. I understand where he is coming from but that just simply wouldn't work, how many people would we have living on the streets then and if you listen to him, we should just step over them.

Whilst the 5 years benefit thing is clearly a wacky idea i think that he's right that we need to take a look at some of the incentives that exist that allow people to live off the state who could go out and contribute. Re the Germans not being able to afford BMWs - clearly inaccurate - however his general point was that the German consumer doesn't spend as much as they could from a fiscal standpoint which is accurate.

Was mainly impressed with his explanation on the two speed economy we have in terms of the productive sector and the sheltered government subsidised sector which is dragging it down. Its a viewpoint we're all aware of here but it can't be talked about in public enough in my view.

Quote:
When Peter Schiff was getting heckled, badly, the guy shouting at him was a real extremist, shouted at him saying he would buy his book to use it as toilet paper, he should probably read it first, he obviously had no background on Peter and it really pisses me off when people can argue so vociferously when they are clearly ignorant on the the subject.

The schiff heckling was cringable, as was the appearance of a 5 second cameo by shell to sea campaigners - sureal stuff.

Think i might have bumped into our friend from the west midlands too XX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:35 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Puck may be Famous wrote:
Did you set him straight on that prick Fintan O'Toole?

A prick?That's a bit strong. Why do you think he is a prick?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 am 
Under CAB Investigation

laughinglawyer wrote:
@ Puck

Dont know exactly what your gripe with Fintan is -but as I happily said before he has been a good friend for nearer to 40 now than 30 years and he isn't a prick a fool or a hypocryte. He has to my knowledge been a model husband, provider and father and gives a damn sight more than a tithe to causes and people who need it and works extremely hard. But what the fuck you have your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Ivor Lot wrote:
A prick?That's a bit strong. Why do you think he is a prick?

I withdraw the word prick and apologise.

Fintan O'Toole is a sanctamonious fool. He believes that the problems of society are best addressed by income re-distribution. This requires politicians and their beaurocracy to confiscate the earnings of some citizens (backed by the threat of physical violence) and give it to other citizens (less the wages, expences, pensions etc of the beaurocracy).

He is then constantly amazed that the politicians are corrupt and the beaurocracy is self-serving. He writes article after article railing against the corruption and clientilism. In defiance of human nature he calls out for totally honest politicians and selfless clivil servants. Yet the solution to every problem is to give more power to the state. He has a platform to spout this nonsense and he uses it.

I have no doubt that he has a strong moral code and cannot understand how others cannot resist the temptations of office. I would prefer that the functions devolved to govenment by the people were so limited as to allow few oppertunities for influence and corruption.

I have no faith in politicians but great faith in the decency of individuals to look after each other using the full resources of their labours. Fintan has no faith in individuals but great faith in the collective state despite being left down again and again. He gives advice about economics while admitting he knew so little about what was going on during the bubble that he got sucked into property himself. If he would keep his opinions to himself I would have nothing to say against the man.

"By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.- John Maynard Keynes, Economic Consequences of Peace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Any podcasts out there of this event?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Kilkenomics is to run again this year from 2nd to 6th of November.

Promo video on DMcW site here http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2011/08/2 ... omics-2011

Sorry, I dont know how to embed anything except a youtube clip.

"By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.- John Maynard Keynes, Economic Consequences of Peace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Yep, looks interesting. Speakers of interest too.

Hopefully I'll be in the old sod for this one, will make for an involving weekend to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:05 am 

I don't think that's the 2011 line up, that's the 2010 line up and schedule, looks like they haven't updated the site yet, unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The lineup for Kilkenomics 2011 is finally up

www.kilkenomics.com

No-one that would really intrest me to be honest (sorry RonanL). The Mauldin guy seems interesting enough and I like Max Kaiser when he makes an effort display his intelect rather than just do the shouty thing.

I think I'll give it a skip this year. You can hear most of them on Vincent Browne any night of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Doesn't the year fly! :D

Kilkenomics 2012 will be from 1st to 4th of November.

www.kilkenomics.com

The only people that would interest me would be Max Keiser, Bill Black and Dimitry Orlov.

Can't really see myself making the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 am 
First Time Buyer

I have repeatedly emailed Kilkenomics this year and last, requesting that they incorporate digital currency into their website shopping cart. But like most non-geeks, the poor fools havent a clue about it and are keeping their heads in the sand.

As a result, they will not be getting any of my money this year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 am 
Nationalised

Davos with jokes - FT.com http://on.ft.com/1bI8ZZp via @FT

Simon Kuper - the well known soccer writer

Quote:
Davos with jokes
By Simon Kuper
‘No speaker at Kilkenomics faked omniscience … panels were moderated by comedians in the backrooms of pubs’

If you’re a middle-class person visiting a pretty little city you’ve never seen before, you stop at the estate agent’s window and fantasise about buying something. When I did that in Kilkenny in southern Ireland recently, I had a shock: it was affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 am 
Nationalised

Quote:
Dan Ariely, bestselling author and professor of psychology and behavioural economics at Duke University visits the RSA to examine the mechanisms at work behind dishonest behaviour, and the implications this has for all aspects of our social and political lives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

First contributors are up for Kilkenomics 2015 and McWilliams has landed a big fish.......

Yanis the Greek!

http://www.kilkenomics.com/contributors ... varoufakis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

Big fish? I've pulled fish less slippery from the Nore than him.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 am 

More interested in Nassim Taleb.. .Surely one of the most intelligent people alive today?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next