Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1672 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: PAN-CHAOS - Libya > Egypt > Syria > Iran > Iraq > US
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

Watching this on tv at the moment. I am not an expert on the Middle East. If there is regime change what if any are the world wide implications, Egypt is the biggest receiver of military aid after Israel in the region. Whilst Egypt isnt oil rich do we still have lots of oil tankers going through Suez. I just say protesters holding posters of Nasser.Thoughts anyone and of course are there any Irish with property interests in the coastal areas

Last edited by Open Window on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
edit title from Egypt...

Post subject: Re: Egypt implications of regime change
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 am 
Neo Landlord

Streams here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
http://www.presstv.ir/live/llnw/

They have locked down the internet & mobile comms in Egypt, anyone got a better live stream?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:11 am 
Under CAB Investigation

hydra wrote:
Streams here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
http://www.presstv.ir/live/llnw/

They have locked down the internet & mobile comms in Egypt, anyone got a better live stream?!?

Even with the net down I got a really strange email earlier from a bloke claiming to be Mubarak, said he's living in a state of de Nile and wants help getting 50 million dollars out of the country, says he'll give me 10% just to use my bank account, sounds too good to be true! 8DD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 am 
Neo Landlord

I assume your taking the piss, care to enlighten me?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:14 am 
Old Time Landlord

Seems to be taking a leaf out of Cowens playbook, refuse to resign and reshuffle the cabinet, while waffeling about the good of the people etc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

Dow down 100+ points CNN partly blaming the Egyptian situation,has the price of oil risen??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 am 
Neo Landlord

It most certainly has, up over 4%, anyone know if you can setup paddy power spread betting accounts at the weekend, I usually don't gamble, but....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 am 
Under CAB Investigation

can only be good if another dictator falls. might bring some relief to the palestinians imprisoned in Gaza and make israel think twice about invading lebanon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 pm 
Nationalised

Wonder how the Saudi regime will handle it?

Social Media Revolution Hits Saudi Arabia -> http://www.npr.org/2011/01/26/133212623 ... udi-arabia

Quote:
There is a social media revolution in Saudi Arabia.
Ten million Saudis are online, 3 million belong to Facebook, and Twitter feeds are up more than 400 percent.
Recently, many tweets and posts have been focused on the uprising in Tunisia. In fact, Saudi's social media activists spread videos and news updates at the peak of the street protests — and the interest has stayed high ever since. And, now, Saudi bloggers have added the unrest in Cairo to the topics receiving much attention.

there is more

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 pm 
Nationalised

discostu wrote:
Watching this on tv at the moment. I am not an expert on the Middle East. If there is regime change what if any are the world wide implications, Egypt is the biggest receiver of military aid after Israel in the region. Whilst Egypt isnt oil rich do we still have lots of oil tankers going through Suez. I just say protesters holding posters of Nasser.Thoughts anyone and of course are there any Irish with property interests in the coastal areas

This could potentially go down like the fall of the Soviet Union. The Warsaw Pact were the first group of countries to fall. After that, it was the USSR itself. The US regime must be worried now, they bankroll the dictators in these regions and instability spreading to Saudi must worry them as a collapse there would bring forward the collapse of the dollar. Mind you the collapse of that regime has been anticipated for some time by the Americans and put forward as a justification for the invasion of Iraq.

Yemen Ignites in Protests Against President -> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/ ... 9460.shtml

Quote:
(AP) SANAA, Yemen - Tens of thousands of people called for the Yemeni president's ouster in protests across the capital on Thursday inspired by the popular revolt in Tunisia.

The demonstrations led by opposition members and youth activists are a significant expansion of the unrest sparked by the Tunisian uprising, which also inspired Egypt's largest protests in a generation. They pose a new threat to the stability of the Arab world's most impoverished nation, which has become the focus of increased Western concern about a resurgent al Qaeda branch, a northern rebellion and a secessionist movement in the south.

there is more

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:26 pm 
Neo Landlord

China censors "Egypt"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... d9cea7.1b1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:57 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Two unelected vicious dictators brought down in the Middle East a month and not a B52 or bunker buster in sight.
Compare to the hamfisted attempts of regime change by the US and UK.
Mubarrek was a puppet of western powers. He has nothing for his people and was an enabler in the attacks against the Arab people in Iraq and Gaza. He has worked alongside the Israelis in keep Gazans in a state of perpetual siege.
I'd say the Muslim Brotherhood, which is banned from election, like most opposition parties will romp home in any new elections.
That would mean an Islamic State or republic and tensions with Israel. A unified pan Arab movement may take shape which spells big trouble for the Zionists.
Hopefully Saudi Arabia will be next in line. A mafia state run by vile, corrupt monarchists.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:59 pm 
Real Estate Developer

And yes there will be ramifications for us.
Oil prices will soar. Tankers may have two options to reach our shores. Pay a tax to the Muslim Brotherhood on entry to the Suez or chance the pirates off Somalia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:24 pm 
Property Magnate

Truth.ie wrote:
Two unelected vicious dictators brought down in the Middle East a month and not a B52 or bunker buster in sight.
Compare to the hamfisted attempts of regime change by the US and UK.
Mubarrek was a puppet of western powers. He has nothing for his people and was an enabler in the attacks against the Arab people in Iraq and Gaza. He has worked alongside the Israelis in keep Gazans in a state of perpetual siege.
I'd say the Muslim Brotherhood, which is banned from election, like most opposition parties will romp home in any new elections.
That would mean an Islamic State or republic and tensions with Israel. A unified pan Arab movement may take shape which spells big trouble for the Zionists.
Hopefully Saudi Arabia will be next in line. A mafia state run by vile, corrupt monarchists.

Possibly the case, but in Tunisia, iirc, the regime is not changing, just the faces at the top.
If the same hapens in Egypt, we will have another 30 years ofthe same.
For the Egyptians, and the Palestinians, I hope the change is more than cosmetic, but will not hold my breath.

One way or the other, the US will be very very worried by these events.
Like a dying wasp, they could attack anyone without evident reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:41 pm 
Neo Landlord

don't think much will change in egypt, I think this is all down to economics/demographics, the arab world is full of pissed off unemployed young people

its been a powder keg for years and will only get worse

I hope to see saudi blow up next 8DD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1672 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 112  Next