Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 5, 2008
Posts: 1997
Location: I like Dalkey
TheJackal wrote:
Predictions on his future Irish sentence?
I will be surprised - pleasantly surprised - if anything actually happens.

_________________
.
Housing should be affordable and plentiful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 1318
NegativeEquity wrote:
TheJackal wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Id say the DPP is pretty pissed off right now: "We try and extradite from a country that we don't even have an extradition treaty with and they say YES?? Goddamn it now we're gonna look like idiots if he gets a slap on the wrist. What shitty luck."


Predictions on his future Irish sentence?

I'm going for 5 years, 3 of those suspended?


60 hours community service

He'd only get something that light if he had a couple of hundred previous convictions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Apr 1, 2011
Posts: 877
Location: Dublin
Thomas Byrne got 16 years 12 suspended with fraud of €52 million... Michael Lynn's is €80 million. No reason he won't get the same


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
TheJackal wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Id say the DPP is pretty pissed off right now: "We try and extradite from a country that we don't even have an extradition treaty with and they say YES?? Goddamn it now we're gonna look like idiots if he gets a slap on the wrist. What shitty luck."


Predictions on his future Irish sentence?

I'm going for 5 years, 3 of those suspended?


They will have to keep him inside pending trial. I suspect he will be sentenced to time served, if that.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31629
Location: Tullamore
Mantissa wrote:
TheJackal wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Id say the DPP is pretty pissed off right now: "We try and extradite from a country that we don't even have an extradition treaty with and they say YES?? Goddamn it now we're gonna look like idiots if he gets a slap on the wrist. What shitty luck."


Predictions on his future Irish sentence?

I'm going for 5 years, 3 of those suspended?


They will have to keep him inside pending trial. I suspect he will be sentenced to time served, if that.

Yeah, as a flight risk, he'll be inside I reckon.

Given how fast the wheels of Irish justice turn, it could be three years...

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Posts: 5061
yoganmahew wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
TheJackal wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Id say the DPP is pretty pissed off right now: "We try and extradite from a country that we don't even have an extradition treaty with and they say YES?? Goddamn it now we're gonna look like idiots if he gets a slap on the wrist. What shitty luck."


Predictions on his future Irish sentence?

I'm going for 5 years, 3 of those suspended?


They will have to keep him inside pending trial. I suspect he will be sentenced to time served, if that.

Yeah, as a flight risk, he'll be inside I reckon.

Given how fast the wheels of Irish justice turn, it could be three years...


Plus he's already done over a year in prison in Brazil. So likely to go free after sentencing to time served


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
Would they take time served awaiting extradition into account? Seems cheeky given that it was his own fault for running.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:23 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Posts: 295
Sala wrote:
Thomas Byrne got 16 years 12 suspended with fraud of €52 million... Michael Lynn's is €80 million. No reason he won't get the same


Thomas Byrne got sixteen years with four suspended.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex ... 51416.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Posts: 295
Mantissa wrote:
Would they take time served awaiting extradition into account? Seems cheeky given that it was his own fault for running.


Yes. It's a condition imposed on his surrender.

See 'conditions imposed' in the linked article

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.2039521


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:40 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Posts: 295
I know that the public perception is that corporate offenders 'get a slap on the wrist' but the following all served time (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

Thomas Byrne - Sixteen years (4 suspended)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex ... 51416.html

Carol Hawkins - Seven years

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/adam ... 50153.html

Heather Perrin - 2.5 years

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo ... 15427.html

Paul Begley (Garlic Man)- Two years (after appeal)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0215/367937 ... ley-court/

David O' Shea - 4 years (6 months suspended)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jail ... 55045.html

Niall Colfer - 2 years

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 49573.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
conneely wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Would they take time served awaiting extradition into account? Seems cheeky given that it was his own fault for running.


Yes. It's a condition imposed on his surrender.

See 'conditions imposed' in the linked article

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.2039521


Thanks.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:12 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 7093
Quote:
THE saga of fugitive Michael Lynn in Brazil appears to be nearing an end as the country's Supreme Court confirmed his extradition could proceed as planned.

The court first ruled the former solicitor should be extradited in December 2014. But a series of delaying tactics by Lynn’s lawyers drew out the legal process, even as their client remained in a dirty and overcrowded jail he said was making him ill.
The decision comes nine years after he first fled from justice and three years since he was arrested in his beach hideout near the city of Recife.


http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/so ... 46501.html

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:13 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: May 18, 2007
Posts: 6114
Location: On the Road
Havent been following this but Im surprised that theres an extradition treaty now in place between Ireland and Brazil. Dont DFA have to satisfy themselves with regard to human rights issues at the Brazilian end before such an accord could be signed ie so that the arrangement is reciprocal?

The Colombia Three managed to evade extradition because such an accord was unthinkable with Colombia. I wouldn't have thought that Brazil was any better...which is (presumably) why Lynn fled there in the first place....of course they may have just consulted with representatives of the OCI with a view to satisfying themselves as to conditions therein....

_________________
"It is difficult to be certain about anything except what you have seen with your own eyes, and consciously or unconsciously everyone writes as a partisan.”
― George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: May 12, 2012
Posts: 2006
conneely wrote:
I know that the public perception is that corporate offenders 'get a slap on the wrist' but the following all served time (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

Thomas Byrne - Sixteen years (4 suspended)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex ... 51416.html

Carol Hawkins - Seven years

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/adam ... 50153.html

Heather Perrin - 2.5 years

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo ... 15427.html

Paul Begley (Garlic Man)- Two years (after appeal)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0215/367937 ... ley-court/

David O' Shea - 4 years (6 months suspended)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jail ... 55045.html

Niall Colfer - 2 years

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 49573.html


Very good point.

I think the perception is that these are all good old-fashioned demonstrable fraud by person A with the loot kept and spent by person A.

I think the public angst is for about bigger stuff like insider trading where:
-The actions are less direct
-The actors don't necessarily benefit from the malfeasance
-Taxpayers/shareholders take the hit.
Where people are rarely even charged.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:40 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: May 12, 2012
Posts: 2006
conneely wrote:
I know that the public perception is that corporate offenders 'get a slap on the wrist' but the following all served time (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

Thomas Byrne - Sixteen years (4 suspended)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex ... 51416.html

Carol Hawkins - Seven years

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/adam ... 50153.html

Heather Perrin - 2.5 years

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo ... 15427.html

Paul Begley (Garlic Man)- Two years (after appeal)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0215/367937 ... ley-court/

David O' Shea - 4 years (6 months suspended)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jail ... 55045.html

Niall Colfer - 2 years

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 49573.html


Very good point.

I think the perception is that these are all good old-fashioned demonstrable fraud by person A with the loot kept and spent by person A.

I think the public angst is for about bigger stuff like insider trading where:
-The actions are less direct
-The actors don't necessarily benefit from the malfeasance
-Taxpayers/shareholders take the hit.
Where people are rarely even charged.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com