Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Rent supplement is in the crosshairs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 am 
Holiday Home Owner

Looks like rent supplement is in the crosshairs at last.....

Quote:
It is understood the Government is hoping to generate about half the potential welfare savings from a new clampdown on fraud but much of the remaining savings are expected to come from a substantial cut in the €500 million annual expenditure on rent supplements.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king3.html

Post subject: Re: Rent supplement is in the crosshairs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am 
Under CAB Investigation

any word on cuts to this?
http://www.gra.cc/rent.shtml
Quote:
Rent Allowance from 1 June 2007 € 4,162.48 pa

Tax free I assume also

Former CEO of Bank of Ireland Mike Soden has said many of the people who took out buy-to-let mortgages used the money to fund lavish lifestyles. Who would have made the money, had the market not collapsed? The individual would have.
(http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banks-to-use-rent-receivers-to-collect-buy-to-let-mortgages-561140.html)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 am 
Under CAB Investigation

doubled in the bertie years

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 am 
Too Big to Fail

We are going to hear so much nonsense, dishonesty and downright cretinism about cuts in RA in the coming weeks.

The last time there were cuts, Threshold came out condemning it. I sent them an email explaining how they were doing the exact opposite of what they thought they were doing - representing people's housing rights - but I never even got a reply. (In my most optimistic moments I wondered whether the email was so revelatory to them that they were too dumbfounded to reply. Ha! Some bloody hope.)

No doubt campaigners for the unemployed and poor will weigh in with similar views this time, not to mention the likes of The NAMA (who oppose changes to UORR's, which are somewhat analagous to RA) to the CIF to LL representatives. We'll hear about people being "out on the streets" and how it'll make property investment less attractive to "international" "investors". We'll hear about "small businessmen" and "entrepreneurs" being thrown under the bus.

It'll be nasty and I envisage many a frustrating Liveline episode.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 am 
Old Time Landlord

Cuchullainn wrote:
Looks like rent supplement is in the crosshairs at last.....

Quote:
It is understood the Government is hoping to generate about half the potential welfare savings from a new clampdown on fraud but much of the remaining savings are expected to come from a substantial cut in the €500 million annual expenditure on rent supplements.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king3.html

I Laughed Out Loud when I heard this on the radio this morning.... how long has it taken them to start cutting this?
Here live in private accomadation the taxpayers will pay your rent!!!

ENJOY!
Rent supplement is the MOST abused system in Ireland....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 am 
Too Big to Fail

Ireland_is_different wrote:
any word on cuts to this?
http://www.gra.cc/rent.shtml
Quote:
Rent Allowance from 1 June 2007 € 4,162.48 pa

Tax free I assume also

Quote:
The Revenue Commissioners are investigating the potential tax liability on more than €200 million worth of allowances paid each year to gardaí.

Revenue officials are examining whether tax should be paid on most of the 46 allowances currently claimable by members of the force, The Sunday Business Post has learned.

The most costly Garda allowance for the exchequer is rent allowance, which costs the state between €55 million and €60 million annually.

Each officer, up to and including chief superintendent, receives the pensionable €4,017.55 rent allowance payment annually.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/garda-targete ... 59034.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am 
Speculator

Couple behind us have been living in their house funded by the Rent supplement scheme for the last eight years. She is in her mid to late 20s, has never worked in that time, her partner works on and off (mostly doesn't work!),occasionally disappears for months on end, gardai call to the house at regular intervals. They have four kids, two cars (one Beemer) and a pedigree dog.They go on holdays, kids are always dressed in the latest designer gear. We get up to go out to work at six every morning,have sacrificed many things in order to pay our mortgage for the last ten years, can just about afford to run a car and say to ourselves are we total fecking eejits when we see their subsidised lifestyle.

(p.s. when their shore backed up sewage into their neighbours garden due to nappies being thrown down it, she said to the neighbour ' ah sure don't worry about it, I'll get the landlord to sort it out and throw you a few bob compo')

By the way I dont know where that Holiday Home Owner bit below my username came from-we only have the house we are paying our mortgage on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 am 
Old Time Landlord

Julio Medallion wrote:
Couple behind us have been living in their house funded by the Rent supplement scheme for the last eight years. She is in her mid to late 20s, has never worked in that time, her partner works on and off (mostly doesn't work!),occasionally disappears for months on end, gardai call to the house at regular intervals. They have four kids, two cars (one Beemer) and a pedigree dog.They go on holdays, kids are always dressed in the latest designer gear. We get up to go out to work at six every morning,have sacrificed many things in order to pay our mortgage for the last ten years, can just about afford to run a car and say to ourselves are we total fecking eejits when we see their subsidised lifestyle.

(p.s. when their shore backed up sewage into their neighbours garden due to nappies being thrown down it, she said to the neighbour ' ah sure don't worry about it, I'll get the landlord to sort it out and throw you a few bob compo')

I feel your pain the most frustraing thing has to be - purchasing a house working your ass off to pay your mortgage... and someone moves in and lives in a house for free and doesn't have to work!!!

The lack or respect for the houses is disgracefull too!!!

Ireland = Have a baby, Don't get married, don't work = Get a free house!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Larry wrote:
No doubt campaigners for the unemployed and poor will weigh in with similar views this time

They already are. I heard one crowd this morning pointing out that CSO statistics show rents increasing at an annualised rate of 2.5% this year so not increasing RA amounts to a cut of 2.5% in real terms.

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them" (G B Shaw)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am 
Nationalised

Julio Medallion wrote:

By the way I dont know where that Holiday Home Owner bit below my username came from-we only have the house we are paying our mortgage on!

It's a "humourous" grading of posters by the number of their posts:
viewtopic.php?p=7090#p7090
Quote:
Rankings:

Underneath my username and just above my avatar / profile picture, you will be able to read a title. That title is a ranking that is automatically ascribed to a users based on the number of posts or relative seniority that a user has achieved.

Again, this is a common feature of most Web Forums but it must be understood that these rankings are merely a bit of fun and do not equate to the real life circumstances of our users.

For example, at the time of writing, I was not attending a planning tribunal - "Planning Tribunal Attendee".

For the record, here are the rankings and number of posts required for each level:

Migrant - 0 posts
Homeless - 5 posts
Private Tenant - 25 posts
Back Home with Mammy - 50 posts
First Time Buyer - 75 posts
Single Home Owner - 100 posts
Neo Landlord - 200 posts
Holiday Home Owner - 300 posts
Old Time Landlord - 350 posts
Speculator - 400 posts
Property Magnate - 500 posts
Real Estate Developer - 750 posts
Planning Tribunal Attendee - 1000 posts
Under CAB Investigation - 1500 posts
Too Big to Fail - 3000 posts
Of Systemic Importance - 5000 posts
Nationalised - 7500 posts

Suggestions for improving or additions to the ranks are most welcome and can be made through the Open Development forum:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 am 
Speculator

Julio Medallion wrote:

Ha ha, you've reminded me of the time a while back when some poster became very animated at the fact that 'Under CAB Investigation' was under his name on posts. "Why is that there? I'm not under CAB investigation. Where did this come from?" (It's just a bit of ranking fun indicative of the number of posts you've made on the site.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:17 am 
Property Magnate

Julio Medallion wrote:

There is a place for some sort of social safety net no argument there but cases like these make my blood boil.

When a society rewards people for working the system rather than honest endeavour the society is broken.*

*(I can't remember what I'm paraphasing here but it is apt)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 am 
Nationalised

Esselte wrote:
Larry wrote:
No doubt campaigners for the unemployed and poor will weigh in with similar views this time

They already are. I heard one crowd this morning pointing out that CSO statistics show rents increasing at an annualised rate of 2.5% this year so not increasing RA amounts to a cut of 2.5% in real terms.

Rent Allowance doesn't benefit the poor or unemployed in any way whatsoever. The money keeps rents artificially high and penalises the working poor who must compete with this unfair subsidy.

And the CSO figures are already out of date. The next plunge has begun.
Graph from Collapso.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:53 am 
Under CAB Investigation

They are moving people from RA to the Local Authority RAS where you can work and pay percentage of household income towards the rent. With RAS there are inspections of places, you can't "top up" payment to landlord, landlord must produce Tax Compliance Cert so there are benefits to it. from landlord perspective rent is guaranteed by local authority and generally people in RAS are "stable families".

Not sure why a single person has to get a place all to themselves though - health and safety maybe?

RA increases per child/bed space required (employed people don't get that)

Also if something is free to a user they generally won't value/respect it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
IMF'd

Julio Medallion wrote:

It's post ranking related - based on the number of posts you've made.

edit: oops, how late am I? Good thing I've been Nationalised...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next