Despondency 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Depression 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Hope 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Relief 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 106
 Post subject: Q1 2012 survey of Irish Market - Market cycle of emotions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Nationalised

Previous polls: September 2007 | January 2008 | April 2008 | July 2008 | September 2008 | January 2009 | April 2009 | July 2009 | September 2009 | January 2010 | April 2010 | July 2010 | September 2010 | January 2011 | April 2011 | July 2011 | October 2011

Based on general conversations with your friends, colleagues, or intuition what do you reckon the public mood towards the house market is?

Post subject: Re: Q1 2012 survey of Irish Market - Market cycle of emotion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:57 am 
Nationalised

Based on the continued price falls and lack of credit we are definitely at capitulation and beyond.
In fact some investors see opportunity based on the results of the Alsopp auctions and are strictly following the rule of ten.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Panic

Personally know a number of Canny McSavvy's now officially in panic mode, one has advanced as far as Depression on the graph. Heavily subsidising their portfolio of buy-to-lets from their own reduced main salaries plus the range of ancillary additional charges coming down the tracks at residential investment property owners. Wealth destruction acceleration.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Despondancy, but I kind of mean in a hands in the air ambivalent way.....that's how I feel. Unless people start getting real about how fubared things are at home and in Europe for me there's no point in even thinking about property at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Panic but quite close to capitulation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:50 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I've looked back over my voting record on the previous polls, I was voting Fear from 2008 until Oct 11 moved to Panic, now moved to Desperation. Things are accelerating towards Capitulation but it's not there yet. When capitulation comes it may well be reflected in an external devaluation due to currency re-alignment rather than nominal price drops. I'd expect a Euro Lite/Punt Nua to instantly devalue by approx 30% vs Euro.

The Denial/Fear phase of the bubble took five years, I think Despondency will arrive in H2 2013.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 pm 
Neo Landlord

The people I know who are heavily invested - i.e. up to their necks in debt - are very much in despondency and depression, but are so surely trapped that it doesn't really matter. In fact, I was told as recently as last night that one of my close friends has realised that he is at financial rock bottom and has found some relief and freedom in that.
That said, from the point of view of people who would like to buy - myself included in this - all the acceptance in the world is not going to make one jot of difference if there are no properties priced to reflect this on the market. Sure, there are some places that seem like they are reasonable, but I don't want to live in Newport, Tipperary, nice and all as it is, and I don't fancy shelling out half a million shekels to live in some pokey hole in the less salubrious parts of Wicklow.
The attitude of the banks and government have successfully derailed prices from the cycle of emotions. Ireland is different.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

xman wrote:
I've looked back over my voting record on the previous polls, I was voting Fear from 2008 until Oct 11 moved to Panic, now moved to Desperation. Things are accelerating towards Capitulation but it's not there yet. When capitulation comes it may well be reflected in an external devaluation due to currency re-alignment rather than nominal price drops. I'd expect a Euro Lite/Punt Nua to instantly devalue by approx 30% vs Euro.

The Denial/Fear phase of the bubble took five years, I think Despondency will arrive in H2 2013.

Don't follow you there Xman. Desperation comes before panic....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Doh, I voted Desperation in Oct and also on this thread :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:19 pm 
Neo Landlord

I still see it as being a big mix depending on personal circumstances. I see a lot of fear, desperation and even panic amongst the accidental investors but the one seller we tried to engage with remains in complete denial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:24 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

I voted Denial, again. This is based on the same conversations that I've been having for the last 5 years with family, friends and colleagues. There is a small hint of fear in a few though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Fear, but I wouldn't quibble with Foyboy's selection of on-going Denial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I think there is always going to be an ongoing element of denial, but voting for it now when there is widespread acknowledgment of the huge drops that have occurred, and that further may occur seems mistaken to me. It isn't denial in the spirit of the cycle, such as it is.

I hope those pinsters who voted for denial are not waiting to purchase, because they may well find themselves a couple of years behind the curve.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Foyboy wrote:
I voted Denial, again. This is based on the same conversations that I've been having for the last 5 years with family, friends and colleagues. There is a small hint of fear in a few though.

Are they denying prices are down 40-60% from peak? Are they denying the current asking prices of houses?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Nationalised

bugler wrote:
Foyboy wrote:

Are they denying prices are down 40-60% from peak? Are they denying the current asking prices of houses?

I think the denial concerns the consequences of a crashed property market.
No on can deny that it has fallen, but many still believe it will recover.