Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: Supermarkets
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:50 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

A good description of a giffen good

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffen_good

Doctors and farmers hoping for prices to soar :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Does anyone buy meat from online butchers?
Are they better value or quality than the physical shop butchers?

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing & moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' - Bertie Ahern 04/07/07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Irish grocery market slips into deflation

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/04 ... on-kantar/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:33 pm 
Nationalised

temene wrote:
Does anyone buy meat from online butchers?
Are they better value or quality than the physical shop butchers?

I've bought direct from organic farms on occasion... better quality for sure, probably not better value.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Very very hard to compete with commercial operations on price.

The only way to do it is to sell directly to the customer a superior product.

We have a local butcher here that is also a farmer and manages to sell below supermarket price but still do well for himself. No middleman whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

TheJackal wrote:

They seem to have quietly sidestepped the shrinkflation that is going on, I recently see that the 2 litre bottles of fizzy drink is now 1.75 litre instead numerous products have fewer grams in the packet and bog rolls have bigger cardboard tubes wrapped to the same diameter of paper.

A lot of hidden inflation out there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:37 am 
Too Big to Fail

Iceland are opening in my area next month. Can't wait!
This is their new Tallaght store http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/ice ... n-tallaght

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:35 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

dolanbaker wrote:
TheJackal wrote:

They seem to have quietly sidestepped the shrinkflation that is going on, I recently see that the 2 litre bottles of fizzy drink is now 1.75 litre instead numerous products have fewer grams in the packet and bog rolls have bigger cardboard tubes wrapped to the same diameter of paper.

A lot of hidden inflation out there.

Goodfellas pizzas have shrunk recently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:50 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Aptamil baby formula dropped from 1kg to 900g in the recent past but I just copped it last week.
It's price has stayed mental though at €13.50 or so. And we go through 1 every 6 or so days. Thank fek our youngest will soon be on cows milk.

How formula can be so expensive when it's produced here en masse is beyond me. They must be making a killing on it.
Gouging at its worst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm 
Nationalised

Tesco are phasing out single use plastic bags in the UK, a year after they did it in Ireland. The slight difference is that in the UK the 5p single use bag will be replaced by a 10p "bag for life". In Ireland the same switch brought the price from 22c to 70c. You have to admire their brazenness in saving Treasure Island from pollution ... or dilution. :|

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Tesco are phasing out single use plastic bags in the UK, a year after they did it in Ireland. The slight difference is that in the UK the 5p single use bag will be replaced by a 10p "bag for life". In Ireland the same switch brought the price from 22c to 70c. You have to admire their brazenness in saving Treasure Island from pollution ... or dilution. :|

Hmm. I should've known there was a government twist to it. I did vaguely know that the 22c was 100% attributable to the government levy on bags. What I didn't know was that the government mandated 70c as the minimum price for durable bags to be levy free:

"Plastic shopping bags designed for re-use are exempt from the levy provided the retailer charges at least 70 cent for the bag"
http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/environme ... fault.aspx

In response, Tesco doubled the price of "bag for life" from 35c in 2011. I suppose you could argue it was a reasonable move -- why charge nearly the same price and hand half of it over to the government when you can have the lot yourself. So the question is why the Irish government thinks such a huge multiple of the UK price is needed to disincentivise plastic bag use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am 
IMF'd

ps200306 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:

Hmm. I should've known there was a government twist to it. I did vaguely know that the 22c was 100% attributable to the government levy on bags. What I didn't know was that the government mandated 70c as the minimum price for durable bags to be levy free:

"Plastic shopping bags designed for re-use are exempt from the levy provided the retailer charges at least 70 cent for the bag"
http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/environme ... fault.aspx

In response, Tesco doubled the price of "bag for life" from 35c in 2011. I suppose you could argue it was a reasonable move -- why charge nearly the same price and hand half of it over to the government when you can have the lot yourself. So the question is why the Irish government thinks such a huge multiple of the UK price is needed to disincentivise plastic bag use.

Becase 10c is small enough to throw away? For the first time in my life this summer, I went to the UK (Devon) and thought that the verges were less clean than those in Ireland.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 am 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:
Becase 10c is small enough to throw away? For the first time in my life this summer, I went to the UK (Devon) and thought that the verges were less clean than those in Ireland.

I was driving near Cavan the other day and there was a clean up crew working along the verges, they had a full (wheely bin sized) black bag stacked every 50metres or so ready for collection. Maybe it's simply because we clean them more often.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

dolanbaker wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:

I was driving near Cavan the other day and there was a clean up crew working along the verges, they had a full (wheely bin sized) black bag stacked every 50metres or so ready for collection. Maybe it's simply because we clean them more often.

Cavan used to do well in annual cleanest town area last time I saw the results of that nationwide survey published so it might be an outlier!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm 
IMF'd

onioneater wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:

Cavan used to do well in annual cleanest town area last time I saw the results of that nationwide survey published so it might be an outlier!

It could be that we clean more often, but that too would be a huge change of attitude :)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next