Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1366 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Supermarkets
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:39 pm 
Nationalised

Split from Signs of Depression thread... work away.

dipole wrote:
http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/superquinn-dunnes-lose-large-market-share-as-aldi-soars-3206670.html

LIDL and ALDI continue to gain market share and more power to them I say.

Yes that is the way but there is the negative felt on multiple other balances sheets. So the net gain is not stability in the short term. Balances sheet aka the pocket of the people may improve but it is relative to diminished earnings/incomes.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

"The overall value of the Irish grocery market fell 0.9pc over the year to August 5."
People simply can't afford the rip-off prices of TESCO, Dunnes and SuperQuinn anymore.

If the basic necessities of life are too expensive in Ireland then the nation is uncompetitive and earnings/incomes will be diminished anyhow as jobs move overseas to nations where the inhabitants needs to be paid less just to subsist.

Post subject: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Nationalised

dipole wrote:
"The overall value of the Irish grocery market fell 0.9pc over the year to August 5."
People simply can't afford the rip-off prices of TESCO, Dunnes and SuperQuinn anymore.

If the basic necessities of life are too expensive in Ireland then the nation is uncompetitive and earnings/incomes will be diminished anyhow as jobs move overseas to nations where the inhabitants needs to be paid less just to subsist.

The majority of products are not the basic necessities of life. If its got branding and marketing behind it shouting at you to buy it you probably don't need it particularly when it's the food end of the market.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

In pure KGs the amount of product you can purchase in a LIDL or ALDI in Germany for €10 is very impressive; fruit juice, fresh fruit, veg, dairy, bread, lightly processed food of all descriptions are all very cheap and much cheaper than I remember in LIDL Ireland.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm 
IMF'd

dipole wrote:
In pure KGs the amount of product you can purchase in a LIDL or ALDI in Germany for €10 is very impressive; fruit juice, fresh fruit, veg, dairy, bread, lightly processed food of all descriptions are all very cheap and much cheaper than I remember in LIDL Ireland.

I dunno, the fruit and veg in the local Lidl and Aldi in Tullamore is pretty cheap, good quality, and has large sourcing in Ireland (i.e. Irish-sourced where the crop exists).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Nationalised

yoganmahew wrote:
dipole wrote:

I dunno, the fruit and veg in the local Lidl and Aldi in Tullamore is pretty cheap, good quality, and has large sourcing in Ireland (i.e. Irish-sourced where the crop exists).
+1. Aldi veg is usually great, certainly compared with the compost Dunnes sell.

Post subject: Re: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I remember when Lidl came to my town about 11 years ago. Their arrival automatically caused the other supermarkets to lower/match their prices and improve quality for key groceries. It was very noticeable.
Now there is a Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco and an Aldi within a 5 minute walk radius. Lidl & Aldi quality of food is excellent particularly their fruit&veg and imported continental foodstuffs such as ham.
I hope Irish consumers continue to switch from branded products to generic store versions and shop around for the best deals.

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing & moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' - Bertie Ahern 04/07/07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
I remember when Lidl came to my town about 11 years ago. Their arrival automatically caused the other supermarkets to lower/match their prices and improve quality for key groceries. It was very noticeable.
Now there is a Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco and an Aldi within a 5 minute walk radius. Lidl & Aldi quality of food is excellent particularly their fruit&veg and imported continental foodstuffs such as ham.
I hope Irish consumers continue to switch from branded products to generic store versions and shop around for the best deals.

Or even better, cut out the middlemen and buy directly from farmers markets whenever possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

dipole wrote:

thank God for lidl and Aldi....

Great for saving the few bob every week compared to the other clowns!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

What is most startling in today's grocery stats is the phenomenal growth of Aldi.

From the Indo:

Quote:
German discounter Aldi posted the biggest gain. Its market share soared 25.2pc (in the last 12 weeks).

Post subject: Re: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 pm 

I have a few of these near me and they have sort of become the place you can pop out to if you need something. This role used to be performed by a garage. The savings between the two (garage to aldi) are massive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I find that Alidi and Lidl do not stock varied enough products. There's always something that I wanted and can't get.

In saying that, I find the "shopping experience" there much preferable to Tesco exactly because of the lack of choice. I find the sheer range of products very confusing and discomforting somehow in Tesco/Superquinn/Dunnes. Maybe its because I'm a man but I actually enjoy the lack of choice and that there isn't 40 different types of marmalade. Psycologically, I'm happier shopping at Lidl than Tesco - It's sort of a relief. Am I mad here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm 
Property Magnate

Don't think you're mad at all. Likewise I like the lack of choice. One brand of cheese, jam, olive oil etc is enough for me.
Reminds me of eastern european supermarkets in the early 90's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 pm 

and boy do you have to be fast with packing your bags......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

fungus wrote:
What is most startling in today's grocery stats is the phenomenal growth of Aldi.

From the Indo:

Quote:
German discounter Aldi posted the biggest gain. Its market share soared 25.2pc (in the last 12 weeks).

I don't know if you are been funny.

Once again the Indo journos demonstrate their ability to read press release and their inability to understand maths. Aldi do not have 25.2% plus of the market, just their share of the market rose by 25.2%., which is not that amazing, given the low base.

I can see Dunnes and Superquinn been out of the market in a few years. Superquinns will just be SuperValu and Dunnes will be like Pennys,with their usual open management style. Hope Supervalue keep the Superquinn sausages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1366 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next