Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
 Post subject: Re: Supermarkets
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
tommyt wrote:
In the clubcard statement - there was six of them for the weeks in Dec and early Jan

I got nothing :(

I got them and also used them to purchase exactly €50 worth of alcohol three weeks in succession, and then went to Aldi or Lidl to do my weekly shop as usual. I'm guessing I probably won't get the vouchers next time around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I remember like 15 years ago, I was walking in city centre of polish town and then I saw a local discount on ground level plus basement. Actually same in Amsterdam, no big ugly signs outside, very neat.

Are there lidl/aldis in Dublin centre like this?

This is my best finding this year:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Longtermrenter wrote:
New Sallynoggin Lidl is lovely, doesnt feel discount at all in layout, we have started doing our weekly shop there now, no complaints.

Agreed, wandered in to check it out last week, expected it to be along the lines of the Aldi around the corner but it feels more like the old SuperQuinn in Blackrock, very nicely done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:18 pm 
Nationalised

pm1977 wrote:
Longtermrenter wrote:
New Sallynoggin Lidl is lovely, doesnt feel discount at all in layout, we have started doing our weekly shop there now, no complaints.

Agreed, wandered in to check it out last week, expected it to be along the lines of the Aldi around the corner but it feels more like the old SuperQuinn in Blackrock, very nicely done.

It's amazing how crap most Tesco shops are compared to the other chains. They are the ones that look like the bargain basement, it's only a pity their prices don't match the appearance. Serious lack of investment I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Good move for Musgraves.
Quote:
Wholesale retailer Musgrave has announced it is to begin exporting SuperValu own-brand products to China following a deal with Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba.
Musgrave will initially supply up to 40 own-brand ambient products, including SuperValu breakfast cereals, coffee, jam, biscuits and healthy snacks.
The company has agreed a partnership with Alibaba and will use its Tmall Global ecommerce platform to sell directly to Chinese consumers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/reta ... -1.2908442

I hate my local supervalu, they really pump out the loud music that it's like a disco at 8 in the morning!

Another reason for my preference for Aldi/Lidl.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Barney Gumble wrote:
pm1977 wrote:
Longtermrenter wrote:

It's amazing how crap most Tesco shops are compared to the other chains. They are the ones that look like the bargain basement, it's only a pity their prices don't match the appearance. Serious lack of investment I guess.

a lot of employees in Tesco looks like they are working as slaves or they are super bored. Speed at the till is amazingly slow as well.

This is my best finding this year:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:47 pm 
Property Magnate

mightyz wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
pm1977 wrote:
Longtermrenter wrote:

a lot of employees in Tesco looks like they are working as slaves or they are super bored. Speed at the till is amazingly slow as well.

Speed at till is my main reason for almost exclusively buying at Lidl or Aldi. It isn't necessarily the people working at the till, it is also the people doing the shopping. Many just couldn't care less how long the queue is, as they are scrambling for change, or having a chat, or waiting for the tide to turn or whatever.
For many it seams to come as a surprise that they need the wallet at the till, given how long it takes to get it out....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:53 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

newirishman wrote:
Speed at till is my main reason for almost exclusively buying at Lidl or Aldi. It isn't necessarily the people working at the till, it is also the people doing the shopping. Many just couldn't care less how long the queue is, as they are scrambling for change, or having a chat, or waiting for the tide to turn or whatever.
For many it seams to come as a surprise that they need the wallet at the till, given how long it takes to get it out....

I've long called for certain supermarket hours for men only :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
newirishman wrote:

I've long called for certain supermarket hours for men only :)

Be careful what you wish for, you'll find a shopping list in your lunchbox!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am 
IMF'd

mightyz wrote:

You've never shopped at Dunnes clearly.
4 tills open, unload my basket at the first one behind one other person who promptly disappears back into the nether to get something else.
Pick up everything to go to the next till - same story, waiting on a missing person and the third... Finally join the queue at the fourth counter where one girl is doing all the work! And yes, it's a mixture of the clientelle and the tills. It does mean that Dunnes get 100% of the shop from forgetful types, I guess if they can remember how to get there...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:43 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Supervalu have had promotions of 50% off meat & free 2 veg for the past few weeks.
Farmers have whinged and whinged about the free veg, even though it's Supervalu subsidising the promotion.
Supervalu have withdrawn the promotion from tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
Farmers have whinged and whinged about the free veg, even though it's Supervalu subsidising the promotion.

Are you absolutely sure that it is 100% Musgraves (Supervaul) subsidized. Usually there is a clause in the supply contracts that the supplier carries some, usually all of the cost of promotions. I would be very surprised if there was not some way found by them to pass the cost of this to the veg suppliers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 am 
Under CAB Investigation

mikewest wrote:
Are you absolutely sure that it is 100% Musgraves (Supervaul) subsidized. Usually there is a clause in the supply contracts that the supplier carries some, usually all of the cost of promotions. I would be very surprised if there was not some way found by them to pass the cost of this to the veg suppliers.

"Supervalu said the entire cost of this promotion is funded by SuperValu." The farmer is arguing it is "unethical". Same when Lidl/Aldi had 5c veg in 2014, the chains paid the farmers the full cost and the retailer bore the cost of the reduction. Yet the farmers whinged.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 am 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
mikewest wrote:

"Supervalu said the entire cost of this promotion is funded by SuperValu." The farmer is arguing it is "unethical". Same when Lidl/Aldi had 5c veg in 2014, the chains paid the farmers the full cost and the retailer bore the cost of the reduction. Yet the farmers whinged.

Maybe the costs of these promotions were factored into the "full cost" that the farmers got for the produce when the contracts were signed, so in reality the farmers bore the costs of these promotions spread over the term of the contract.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 am 
Under CAB Investigation

dolanbaker wrote:
temene wrote:
mikewest wrote:

Maybe the costs of these promotions were factored into the "full cost" that the farmers got for the produce when the contracts were signed, so in reality the farmers bore the costs of these promotions spread over the term of the contract.

From what I recall of the arguments when Lidl/Aldi did this that wasn't the farmers' complaint. What seemed to be their issue was that while Lidl/Aldi were selling those particular veg lines at those prices the market collapsed for them in other stores. So, if the same holds true here, farmers selling mushrooms and onions to Supervalu could still be getting paid but other shops might see their sales of mushrooms and onions dropping so the farmers who supply them lose out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next