Post subject: Sean's Castle - Grand Design
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:03 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Grand Designs Celtic tale of anglo, a roscommon castle and even an appearance of ronan lyons
fascinating
anyone else see it

[quote]The new series kicks off with a Grand Design on an epic scale, with the story of one man's heroic attempt to fulfil his childhood dream and bring back from the ruins an incredible castle set in one of the most beautiful landscapes of southern Ireland.

Actor Sean Simons fell in love with the ruins of Cloontykilla Castle when he played there as a boy. Years later he bought it, with the idea of turning it into a spectacular, theatrical mock 16th century home, complete with grand baronial hall, luxury bedrooms, sweeping staircases, water spouting gargoyles, Jacuzzis in the battlements and a huge recording studio in the basement.
But would it prove to be a magnificent personal masterpiece, or a garish sub-Disneyesque disaster?

After borrowing an eye-watering 1.2 million Euros, Sean launches into his project just as Ireland plunges into recession. He has a head full of fairy tales, but no help from an architect, and only a few detailed design drawings. Making things up as you go along is fine if you're building a toy castle, but not when you've got a large team of builders on site, a schedule to hit and the bank looking over your shoulder.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gran ... /episode-1

Post subject: Re: Sean's Castle - Grand Design
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I thought it was a repeat with all the Anglo stuff, though the bank ended up leaving him high and dry, I didnt have as much sympathy as I might have had; he must have been an infuriating fecker to work with, with all the ad hoc changes.

Last edited by slasher on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 pm 
Nationalised

I have to say, I feel some sympathy for him. Partly because I have a friend in a similar situation (now most likely NAMA'd). Partly because it was 2008 that the bank started to give him the money/gave him the approval. They've now left him in limbo.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

He was an awful eejit though

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
Nationalised

Homemaker wrote:

Oh god yeah :)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:16 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

He was extremely nieave.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 am 
Private Tenant

Homemaker wrote:

+1

I couldn't stand him! Working with or for him would have been a nightmare. The way he knocked down internal walls over a weekend and thought he was the great lad would have pushed me over the edge.. To cap it all off then he sacked the workforce for not working as fast as he would like! It's hard to keep to a schedule when the owner of the house is knocking down walls on a whim I'm sure..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 am 
Property Magnate

Saw this one and thought it was highly entertaining but embarrassing - it really exposed the full extent of the gombeenism which does on in this country to (what I imagine is) the middle class, Brits who make up the Grand Designs audience.

There is the evidence folks:
- the programme examined the renovation of a listed building which is by law supposed to be supervised by an architect but there was no evidence of one.
- there were apparently no drawings to guide the unfortunate builders which raises the question of how Roscommon County Council could have reached a decision on planning permission.
- half way through the build the owner abandoned plans to build a glass safety railing on the roof and replaced it with a stone wall, thereby breaching planning permission. But viewers were told 'the Heritage Officer loves the new wall'.
-Despite moaning about how the 'ordinary man' is paying the price for the bust, the castle's owner fired his builders for no obvious reason in the middle of the build which was also in the middle of the bust. Their chances of getting new employment in construction in that part of the country at the time were close to zero.
- the banks funded this folly in the first place: the estimated renovation costs were over a million, it had no plans and no obvious function (bedrooms too small for a high class hotel) and is in a beautiful part of the country, but tourists are as scarce as hens' teeth in Roscommon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

mocame wrote:
Saw this one and thought it was highly entertaining but embarrassing - it really exposed the full extent of the gombeenism which does on in this country to (what I imagine is) the middle class, Brits who make up the Grand Designs audience.

- the programme examined the renovation of a listed building which is by law supposed to be supervised by an architect but there was no evidence of one.
- there were apparently no drawings to guide the unfortunate builders which raises the question of how Roscommon County Council could have reached a decision on planning permission.
- half way through the build the owner abandoned plans to build a glass safety railing on the roof and replaced it with a stone wall, thereby breaching planning permission. But viewers were told 'the Heritage Officer loves the new wall'.
-Despite moaning about how the 'ordinary man' is paying the price for the bust, the castle's owner fired his builders for no obvious reason in the middle of the build which was also in the middle of the bust. Their chances of getting new employment in construction in that part of the country at the time were close to zero.
- the banks funded this folly in the first place: the estimated renovation costs were over a million, it had no plans and no obvious function (bedrooms too small for a high class hotel) and is in a beautiful part of the country, but tourists are as scarce as hens' teeth in Roscommon.

I doubt if there was any proper financial plan from Anglo
As regards embarrassing, it was good to see such things exposed to as wide an audience as possible. The exposure of all kinds of gombeenism is to be encouraged.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:20 am 
Too Big to Fail

mocame wrote:
Saw this one and thought it was highly entertaining but embarrassing - it really exposed the full extent of the gombeenism which goes on in this country to (what I imagine is) the middle class, Brits who make up the Grand Designs audience.

+1

It was a beautiful location all the same.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am 
Under CAB Investigation

What exactly has Sean Simons acted in?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 am 
Under CAB Investigation

NegativeEquity wrote:
What exactly has Sean Simons acted in?

Grand Designs?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Under CAB Investigation

You should read the comments in the linked article in the OP.

"By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.- John Maynard Keynes, Economic Consequences of Peace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

mocame wrote:

Perfectly put. And, he can't see the connection between his 'anything goes' attitude and what's happened in the banks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I wonder if it's the same "actor Sean Simon" who's mentioned here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50168 for buying the beautiful St George's church in Hardwicke Place and then failing to turn it into a theatre.

Edit: Hardwicke Place