Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Health and Social Budget overruns - making the rest moot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:19 pm 
IMF'd

GameBlame wrote:
How broken would the emergency health system be right now in Dublin if the swift care clinics and private hospital A and Es weren't open.

You mean if the money that goes on private health went on public health instead? It'd probably be about the same...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:29 pm 
Nationalised

mocame wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
The HSE have just advertised advertised for a general manager of St Columcille's (aka Loughlinstown) Hospital.

This is a starting salary of €3300 topping out at €3750 pcm. Is the HSE really going to attract high-quality managers in at these kind of wages with Dublin housing costs?

Isn't that hospital gradually being transitioned into a long-term care home? Their A&E is gone thank god. I think this is really a local admin/manager position and the shots are actually called at a group level. The most important skill is probably using Excel to do all the monthly reporting rather than any vision or strategy.

Have you read the job description? It implies it is a demanding senior management position.

Jaysus, if that's a "demanding senior management position" in the public sector, things are worse than I thought :-D

Jobs like this have very little room to actually do anything creative; you cannot off your own bat:
- Hire
- Fire
- Set pay or conditions for any staff
- Set charges to your clients
- Increase or decrease staffing levels in any area
- Instigate any capital expenditure

You're basically a middle manager implementing policy and pay scales set by the government and your bosses (in this case the COO of a hospital group).

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

yoganmahew wrote:
GameBlame wrote:
How broken would the emergency health system be right now in Dublin if the swift care clinics and private hospital A and Es weren't open.

You mean if the money that goes on private health went on public health instead? It'd probably be about the same...

Like much of the money that went into the health system during the boom it would've been consumed by increases in pay & benefits.

Are the SIPTU nurses in St James now looking to strike because the hospital wants to charge them for parking??? How much does a car parking space in Dublin City cost the private sector each year?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

yoganmahew wrote:
GameBlame wrote:

Interesting phrase to use - "that goes"
How would it go exactly in this case?
As someone who afford it do I have to pay this extra amount, will I be seen faster, can I choose not to pay and still be seen at the same speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:52 pm 
Nationalised

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/g ... -1.2615958

Quote:
GPs being overwhelmed by ‘children with runny noses’
Parents bringing healthy children into clinics because of free Government scheme

Co Louth GP Dr Ruairi Hanley said children with ‘runny noses’ are clogging up GP’s surgeries.
Speaking on the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk, Dr Hanley said that other patients with greater needs were losing out on appointments and treatment.
He said a number of measures should be considered by the Government such as introducing a small charge per visit along with a public education programme.

seems to tally with the free medicines - even a small charge results in people finishing first pack of meds before getting another

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:15 pm 
Nationalised

slasher wrote:
seems to tally with the free medicines - even a small charge results in people finishing first pack of meds before getting another

Same with the free A&E back when it was free. I would hate to see anything stand in the way of a sick person being seen by a GP, but I suspect a €5 GP charge would have been a better idea, although not as headline-grabbing.

Fundamentally the issue is that the government shouldn't be contracting out GP care to private providers and should be employing the GPs directly on a salary. They're slooowly starting to that I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:12 pm 

slasher wrote:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gps-being-overwhelmed-by-children-with-runny-noses-1.2615958

Quote:
Parents bringing healthy children into clinics because of free Government scheme

Co Louth GP Dr Ruairi Hanley said children with ‘runny noses’ are clogging up GP’s surgeries.
Speaking on the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk, Dr Hanley said that other patients with greater needs were losing out on appointments and treatment.
He said a number of measures should be considered by the Government such as introducing a small charge per visit along with a public education programme.

This is probably true, but doctors are supposed to be scientists.

You'd get laughed out of a surgery if you said anecdotes had convinced you that nettle stings caused rabies.

Yet a doctor is able to get away with conclusions based on a few chats with his buddies and it's treated as gospel!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:23 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I genuinely know an Nordie bird whose Nordie dad got the bus back up there after suffering a mild heart attack while visiting her in Dublin rather than face the potential of incurring costs down here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:50 pm 

grumpy wrote:
I genuinely know an Nordie bird

What is a 'Nordie bird'?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:26 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
grumpy wrote:

What is a 'Nordie bird'?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Skippy 3 wrote:
slasher wrote:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gps-being-overwhelmed-by-children-with-runny-noses-1.2615958

Quote:

This is probably true, but doctors are supposed to be scientists.

You'd get laughed out of a surgery if you said anecdotes had convinced you that nettle stings caused rabies.

Yet a doctor is able to get away with conclusions based on a few chats with his buddies and it's treated as gospel!

Government gives sweets, and you're skeptic people are eating these sweets.

They need to at least put a minimum charge on visits - or government should stop getting involved.

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:20 am 

conork wrote:

Government gives sweets, and you're skeptic people are eating these sweets.

They need to at least put a minimum charge on visits - or government should stop getting involved.

I agree totally. Access to medical treatment should involve a level of co-payment on a sliding scale of ability to pay. From zero in rare cases (rough sleepers for example) to 80% for very high earners.

The current 'binary' system where small changes in circumstances tip you from paying zero to 100% is neither efficient nor equitable.

My point on the doctors is that a lot of them get a free pass from having their claims treated with scepticism simply because the prefix 'Dr' is used before their name.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:45 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Skippy 3 wrote:
grumpy wrote:

What is a 'Nordie bird'?

A bird from norn iron.

They are fucking dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
A bird from norn iron.

They are fucking dangerous.

Ain't that the truth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am 
Real Estate Developer

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/i ... -1.2618129

Quote:
Ireland tops EU table for percentage spent on health
Health accounted for 19.9% of government spending in 2014, almost 5% above EU average

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next