Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1177 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:29 pm 
Nationalised

Mid January election being mooted.

Varadkar says Fine Gael are standing behind Frances Fitzgerald. Fianna Fail have called their own no confidence motion. That's the end of 'confidence and supply', so now an election is pretty much inevitable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Can't see the election teams or even the candidates wanting a Jan election. Dark evenings, crap weather, having to work hard over xmas.
Don't see it happening

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 am 
Single Home Owner

FreeFallin wrote:
Can't see the election teams or even the candidates wanting a Jan election. Dark evenings, crap weather, having to work hard over xmas.
Don't see it happening

The Fitzgerald matter will be forgotten about after the first week of the campaign. All the focus then will move onto the Brexit talks where Leo will use the veto. This will lead to a boost in the FG poll ratings and will result in them increasinng their number of seats and retaining their position as the largest party.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 am 
Too Big to Fail

Do Fianna Fail really want to go to the country against SF now?

I reckon it's bluster which Martin will reign back in if Leo won't give him a scalp. He's threatening to pull the plug now only to align FF with SF in the eyes of the voters.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Ok so overseeing the Gardai we have the Garda Ombudsman, Garda Inspectorate, and the Policing Authority. As well as multiple Tribunals.

Do we now need some independent agency to oversee the Department of Justice. They're just so opaque and mendacious we need that now ? The Justice Agency. The department is just a vortex.

Imagine if McCabe hadn't found that recording of his conversation. I wonder can the electorate really put themselves in his shoes. I doubt it. People usually feel really poor in January. I wouldn't fancy being a government fighting an election.

Leo's diplomats are telling all of Europe that the Tories are in turmoil, but he's the one who has an election ? Ultimately because he's had 3 Justice ministers in a row who had rings run around them by the mandarins and the Gardai. It's all a bit Tin Pot South American

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:09 am 
Of Systemic Importance

This is the text of the email. If this is the quality of writing at the top of the civil service it's no wonder that we have dysfunctional government.

Quote:
Could you pass this on to the Minister for information please.

I took a call this afternoon from -------- in relation to the O’Higgins Commission of Investigation (which is investigating the matters identified by the Guerin report).

------- wanted to let me know that counsel for the Garda Síochána has raised as an issue in the hearings an allegation made against Sergeant McCabe which was one of the cases examined by the IRM [independent review mechanism. The allegation had been that a serious criminal complaint against Sergeant McCabe (which he has always denied) had not been properly investigated by the Garda Síochána. The IRM found that an investigation file on the case had in fact been submitted to the DPP, who had directed no prosecution, and the IRM, which because of the seriousness of the allegation had been considering whether to recommend its inclusion in the O’Higgins terms of reference, in the end recommended no further action by the Minister.

Presumably the Garda Síochána are raising the matter on the basis, they could argue (and Sergeant McCabe would deny), that it is potentially relevant to motivation. ---- advised me that counsel for Sergeant McCabe objected to this issue being raised, and asked whether the Garda Commissioner had authorised this approach. ----- also told me that the Garda Commissioner’s authorisation had been confirmed (although I understand separately that this may be subject to any further legal advice).

----- and I agreed that this is a matter for the Garda Commissioner, who is being legally advised, and that neither the Attorney nor the Minister has a function relating to the evidence a party to a Commission of Investigation may adduce.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:55 am 
Under CAB Investigation

There were nearly 30 first-time TDs among the supporters of the government.

All of them would be very nervous at facing re-election particularly because their pension rights only kick in after two years..

Elections are really expensive. Parties cannot raise large amounts of funds anymore and a campaign would flatten most of them.

I have always maintained and continue to do so that there will be no election until 2019 at the earliest.

This is just political journalists talking up a crisis because it makes them look like they're doing something useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

A Garda internal audit report has said that "no assurance" can be given that procurement rules were being properly followed on major IT contracts with Accenture.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0107/93157 ... -concerns/

Faint whiff of kickbacks, aka corruption, to senior Gardaí.
A vocal TD says this is widespread in the public sector: "It occurs to me this is a common theme through every single public body which comes before us; non-compliance with procurement rules, although the value of the non-compliance is at a level here we haven't seen before,"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

temene wrote:
A Garda internal audit report has said that "no assurance" can be given that procurement rules were being properly followed on major IT contracts with Accenture.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0107/93157 ... -concerns/

Faint whiff of kickbacks, aka corruption, to senior Gardaí.
A vocal TD says this is widespread in the public sector: "It occurs to me this is a common theme through every single public body which comes before us; non-compliance with procurement rules, although the value of the non-compliance is at a level here we haven't seen before,"

Accenture hired a number of retired Gardai for the Pulse system work, so you'd assume the relationship with AGS is fairly deep.

With their charge out rates for consultants being off the scale, you can imagine why they want to avoid open and transparent procurement processes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I was talking to a Detective back around October who's based in my area in Dublin. There had been 5 robberies that week in the locality.
He entered them to Pulse as such but the local Super, upon reviewing that stats for that period, had 3 of them downgraded to criminal damage. His reasoning: nothing was reported stolen in those 3 incidents despite the perp gaining access to the house.
And this messing with stats going on at a time when there has never been a greater focus on the info coming out of the Gardai. They don't give a fek.

Gardaí claim number of burglaries down at end of 2017
Provisional figures show rate dropped 23 per cent between October and December
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3351762
Quote:
Provisional statistics produced by the Garda show the level of burglaries decreased by 23 per cent nationally over the period.
This coincided with the launch of the winter phase of Operation Thor targeting roving criminal gangs, and followed a spike in burglaries in the months leading up to the winter period.
There were regional variations in the drop-off with 40 per cent fewer burglaries reported in the southeast over November and December, compared to a 15 per cent reduction in the northern region, which showed the most modest decline.
There was an 18 per cent reduction in reported burglaries in the Dublin area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am 
Too Big to Fail

GRA is dysfunctional says the Sindo, referring to an internal GRA audit.
25% (€658k) of 2016 ordinary garda fees spent by GRA chiefs on expenses, meetings and so on

Imagine that!
€2.5m go from ordinary garda subscribers every year to the GRA. The State gives €125k per year.
Money well spent?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

More news today about Garda & drugs collusion in Midlands
Internal garda probe into reappearance of missing drugs
I assume it is linked to Gda Keogh said his life has been destroyed since presenting allegations of criminal wrongdoing in the Midlands, where he was deployed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Four garda suspended over claims of cocaine use in public
The three men and a woman aged in their 20s and 30s were informed that they had been suspended from duty late on Monday night as a part of a massive Garda internal disciplinary probe. No drugs found.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am 
Too Big to Fail

Another Garda probable suicide
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3388318

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 am 
Nationalised

temene wrote:

You`d have to look into whether the suicide rate is higher than normal, its a big organisation and some of them have access to guns so as grim as it sounds it isnt unusual for suicidal people to prefer kill themselves with a gun than via another methods

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1177 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property