Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 4, 2008
Posts: 2547
I dunno, coast guard :?:

Garda investigation finds no evidence of corruption in quashing of penalty points

From the article:

Quote:
It concludes there is no criminal case to answer by any gardaí or those whose points were terminated; and that no gardaí received any reward, monetary or otherwise, for clearing points from licences.


I think they mean there is no evidence that any Gardai received any reward yet

In any case it's stil wrong and how in god's name won't a single head roll over this?

_________________
Borrowers seeking mortgages have had to resort to saving deposits, forcing many to sit by and watch house prices tumble without being able to do anything about it. Sunday Independent - June 1 2008

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Feb 4, 2011
Posts: 1435
Location: A rock drifting aimlessly in the north atlantic
Renting And Proud! wrote:
I dunno, coast guard :?:

Garda investigation finds no evidence of corruption in quashing of penalty points

From the article:

Quote:
It concludes there is no criminal case to answer by any gardaí or those whose points were terminated; and that no gardaí received any reward, monetary or otherwise, for clearing points from licences.


I think they mean there is no evidence that any Gardai received any reward yet

In any case it's stil wrong and how in god's name won't a single head roll over this?


Quelle surprise!!!

We don't do accountability.

_________________
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something...."
Last words of Pancho Villa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 4772
Location: location location

_________________
I dream of a better tomorrow, a place where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 4, 2009
Posts: 1465
The fact that the Gardai usurped the Courts and quashed penalty points without reference to the Courts and in contravention of legislation is of itself corrupt. They have corrupted the penalty points system. They have acted in a corrupt manner by subverting the law.

Robert Pierse, road traffic law expert solicitor from Kerry, was brilliant on this point on the late debate some time back. Well worth a listen. He made ribbons of the Garda who was on the panel. He said the fact that the Garda was professing ignorance of the Act which was very clear was staggering. The Garda said it wasn't his area of expertise. Pierse told him it was the Garda's job to know and administer the law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Mar 7, 2012
Posts: 3156
Location: Lovely Leitrim
Another whitewash to add to the endless list.

_________________
If Monday was a browser it'd be IE.
Snapchat has replaced facebook as the imbeciles tool of choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Posts: 8151
Location: Australia
Systemic & endemic Corruption


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Posts: 4801
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: May 18, 2009
Posts: 3852
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?

_________________
The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 4, 2008
Posts: 2547
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


This is a bullshit argument

I'm of the opinion, do what you like - but be prepared to pay the consequences. Unfortunately in ireland there rarely are consequences for those who try put one over honest people

If you could make fortunes peddling heroin and pay off police to go unpunished would you?

_________________
Borrowers seeking mortgages have had to resort to saving deposits, forcing many to sit by and watch house prices tumble without being able to do anything about it. Sunday Independent - June 1 2008

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Feb 4, 2011
Posts: 1435
Location: A rock drifting aimlessly in the north atlantic
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


I know of Garda that regularly quash penalty points and hand out those "car of the road / no car tax for me" forms.
I have not had to get points quashed, but I would ask if I was given points. But I only ask because I know I'd get them quashed.

This is now especially so since the Gov are allowing insurance companies access the penalty points database.

_________________
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something...."
Last words of Pancho Villa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: May 18, 2009
Posts: 3852
Renting And Proud! wrote:
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


This is a bullshit argument

I'm of the opinion, do what you like - but be prepared to pay the consequences. Unfortunately in ireland there rarely are consequences for those who try put one over honest people

If you could make fortunes peddling heroin and pay off police to go unpunished would you?


You never answered the question. What if you are caught without a seatbelt and the garda gives you a ticking off but no points, would you go along with that?

_________________
The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 4, 2008
Posts: 2547
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
You never answered the question. What if you are caught without a seatbelt and the garda gives you a ticking off but no points, would you go along with that?


In relation to the first question:

Quote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


No I wouldn't. I'd never ask a guard to put himself in that position tbh (although I'd only know one guard who I'd call a friend). If I was told I was getting points and the letter never arrived I would keep my mouth shut however

In relation ot the next question you asked I'd shut my mouth and take what punishment I was given, in some cases that was a ticking off in others a fine and in one case points. We pay the guards to use their sense and discretion in relation to the law

We are mostly not talking about Guards using their "discretion" here, we are talking about wide scale removal of points on the basis of a nod and a wink to a guard we are friendly with

And you never answered my question

_________________
Borrowers seeking mortgages have had to resort to saving deposits, forcing many to sit by and watch house prices tumble without being able to do anything about it. Sunday Independent - June 1 2008

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Oct 22, 2007
Posts: 1512
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


What's that got to do with anything above? No one said that. Yours is a Strawman argument.

_________________
No tool is omnicompetent. There is no such thing as a master-key that will unlock all doors.
--Arnold Toynbee

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: May 18, 2009
Posts: 3852
tulip wrote:
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


What's that got to do with anything above? No one said that. Yours is a Strawman argument.


Answer the question please.

_________________
The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: May 18, 2009
Posts: 3852
Renting And Proud! wrote:
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
You never answered the question. What if you are caught without a seatbelt and the garda gives you a ticking off but no points, would you go along with that?


In relation to the first question:

Quote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?


Quote:
No I wouldn't. I'd never ask a guard to put himself in that position tbh (although I'd only know one guard who I'd call a friend). If I was told I was getting points and the letter never arrived I would keep my mouth shut however


You just criticised yourself. So, you would like to get away with getting the points then.


Quote:
In relation ot the next question you asked I'd shut my mouth and take what punishment I was given, in some cases that was a ticking off in others a fine and in one case points. We pay the guards to use their sense and discretion in relation to the law


I know. And my greatest worry now is thta gardaí might be relectant to use their discretion because of this.

Quote:
We are mostly not talking about Guards using their "discretion" here, we are talking about wide scale removal of points on the basis of a nod and a wink to a guard we are friendly with


Maybe so.

Quote:
And you never answered my question


Your question is a fallacy as dealing with heroin is a criminal offense. People who don't wear seat belts are not criminal, heroin dealers are.

_________________
The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron