Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I dunno, coast guard :?:

Garda investigation finds no evidence of corruption in quashing of penalty points

From the article:

Quote:
It concludes there is no criminal case to answer by any gardaí or those whose points were terminated; and that no gardaí received any reward, monetary or otherwise, for clearing points from licences.

I think they mean there is no evidence that any Gardai received any reward yet

In any case it's stil wrong and how in god's name won't a single head roll over this?

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Renting And Proud! wrote:
I dunno, coast guard :?:

Garda investigation finds no evidence of corruption in quashing of penalty points

From the article:

Quote:
It concludes there is no criminal case to answer by any gardaí or those whose points were terminated; and that no gardaí received any reward, monetary or otherwise, for clearing points from licences.

I think they mean there is no evidence that any Gardai received any reward yet

In any case it's stil wrong and how in god's name won't a single head roll over this?

Quelle surprise!!!

We don't do accountability.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 am 

The fact that the Gardai usurped the Courts and quashed penalty points without reference to the Courts and in contravention of legislation is of itself corrupt. They have corrupted the penalty points system. They have acted in a corrupt manner by subverting the law.

Robert Pierse, road traffic law expert solicitor from Kerry, was brilliant on this point on the late debate some time back. Well worth a listen. He made ribbons of the Garda who was on the panel. He said the fact that the Garda was professing ignorance of the Act which was very clear was staggering. The Garda said it wasn't his area of expertise. Pierse told him it was the Garda's job to know and administer the law.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Too Big to Fail

Another whitewash to add to the endless list.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am 
Nationalised

Systemic & endemic Corruption

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?

The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
If any poster here was offered to have their points quashed, you're telling me you wouldn't grab it with both hands?

This is a bullshit argument

I'm of the opinion, do what you like - but be prepared to pay the consequences. Unfortunately in ireland there rarely are consequences for those who try put one over honest people

If you could make fortunes peddling heroin and pay off police to go unpunished would you?

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm 

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

I know of Garda that regularly quash penalty points and hand out those "car of the road / no car tax for me" forms.
I have not had to get points quashed, but I would ask if I was given points. But I only ask because I know I'd get them quashed.

This is now especially so since the Gov are allowing insurance companies access the penalty points database.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

This is a bullshit argument

I'm of the opinion, do what you like - but be prepared to pay the consequences. Unfortunately in ireland there rarely are consequences for those who try put one over honest people

If you could make fortunes peddling heroin and pay off police to go unpunished would you?

You never answered the question. What if you are caught without a seatbelt and the garda gives you a ticking off but no points, would you go along with that?

The way things are supposed to work is that we're supposed to know virtually everything about what they [the government] do: that's why they're called public servants. They're supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that's why we're called private individuals.― Glenn Greenwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
You never answered the question. What if you are caught without a seatbelt and the garda gives you a ticking off but no points, would you go along with that?

In relation to the first question:

Quote:

No I wouldn't. I'd never ask a guard to put himself in that position tbh (although I'd only know one guard who I'd call a friend). If I was told I was getting points and the letter never arrived I would keep my mouth shut however

In relation ot the next question you asked I'd shut my mouth and take what punishment I was given, in some cases that was a ticking off in others a fine and in one case points. We pay the guards to use their sense and discretion in relation to the law

We are mostly not talking about Guards using their "discretion" here, we are talking about wide scale removal of points on the basis of a nod and a wink to a guard we are friendly with

And you never answered my question

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

What's that got to do with anything above? No one said that. Yours is a Strawman argument.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm 
Too Big to Fail

tulip wrote:
Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

What's that got to do with anything above? No one said that. Yours is a Strawman argument.

Answer the question please.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

In relation to the first question:

Quote:

Quote:
No I wouldn't. I'd never ask a guard to put himself in that position tbh (although I'd only know one guard who I'd call a friend). If I was told I was getting points and the letter never arrived I would keep my mouth shut however

You just criticised yourself. So, you would like to get away with getting the points then.

Quote:
In relation ot the next question you asked I'd shut my mouth and take what punishment I was given, in some cases that was a ticking off in others a fine and in one case points. We pay the guards to use their sense and discretion in relation to the law

I know. And my greatest worry now is thta gardaí might be relectant to use their discretion because of this.

Quote:
We are mostly not talking about Guards using their "discretion" here, we are talking about wide scale removal of points on the basis of a nod and a wink to a guard we are friendly with

Maybe so.

Quote:
And you never answered my question

Your question is a fallacy as dealing with heroin is a criminal offense. People who don't wear seat belts are not criminal, heroin dealers are.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next