Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: If you're the police, who'll police the police?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
57 YES
52 NO
44 abstains (all the FF incl Donnelly)

The only way there'll be an election is that Fg and FF mutually agree to holding one, or the indos take their ball away in a hissy fit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:41 am 
Nationalised

The funniest part of this evenings debate were the attacks on SF by FG for withdrawing from the Northern Assembly. The line was:

"Yis destroy evertin' yis touch! Yis try to callapse dis gubbermint lik yis callapsed de nordren assemly"

There is fairly universal agreement that there was no option but to collapse the Northern Assembly after the scale of the DUP fraud became apparent. I didn't realise FG were so sore about it.

Anyway, this thread will run and run.

Last edited by Coles2 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:43 am 
Nationalised

Is there a list of who voted what,

Lets say I had a tale to tell about corruption both systemic and targeted within An Gardaí Siochana and ways to reform it who would I write to? Some politicians? The media? What result or effect, if any, would it have? Any point? I always felt it was semi pointless since I know the wall you come up against.
But not the whole country knows the wall you come up against

I never pursued anything from my time in the guards since I kept my head down after leaving and was emigrating anyway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 am 
Nationalised

I'd be very interested in hearing your insights from your time in the force. I'm sure a lot of other contributors would too. Particularly in relation to the institutional culture.

I am absolutely certain of the fact that none of the 'bad guys' are ever motivated by malice. They simply have their priorities arseways and they attach too much importance to defending their institution. It's always the same. They will do anything to defend their institution regardless of how utterly corrupt, disgraceful and criminal it is.

Anyone who didn't catch Tom Clonan's interview earlier on TodayFM really should listen to it.

https://www.todayfm.com//The-Last-Word- ... 26%2339%3B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:21 am 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
I'd be very interested in hearing your insights from your time in the force. I'm sure a lot of other contributors would too. Particularly in relation to the institutional culture.

I am absolutely certain of the fact that none of the 'bad guys' are ever motivated by malice. They simply have their priorities arseways and they attach too much importance to defending their institution. It's always the same. They will do anything to defend their institution regardless of how utterly corrupt, disgraceful and criminal it is.

Anyone who didn't catch Tom Clonan's interview earlier on TodayFM really should listen to it.

Very good listen, that guy knows how a democracy is supposed to work

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Too Big to Fail

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

At least Dermot Earley came out of it better than the rest because I'd always held him in high regard.

That people can be so cruel to a colleague/friend for a perceived wrongdoing, have that colleague vindicated and then not bring yourself to apologise or at least extend an olive branch. That's the part of his story that irked me the most.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Dubhgeannain wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

At least Dermot Earley came out of it better than the rest because I'd always held him in high regard.

That people can be so cruel to a colleague/friend for a perceived wrongdoing, have that colleague vindicated and then not bring yourself to apologise or at least extend an olive branch. That's the part of his story that irked me the most.

A lot of weak damaged people out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:
Dubhgeannain wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

It is my instinct to have limited sympathy here. He appears to have joined the Free State Army around 15 years after what happened to Hefferon and Kelly
http://www.thedetail.tv/articles/if-it- ... government

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
GameBlame wrote:
Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:

It is my instinct to have limited sympathy here. He appears to have joined the Free State Army around 15 years after what happened to Hefferon and Kelly

you have limited sympathy for whom?
To clarify: My own remark was not intended to signify any sympathy for the harassers/abusers who punish whistle-blowers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I do have sympathy for him. Also when he hints near the end of the interview that the State being under pressure in the 60s 70s and into 80s is an explanation for the Garda monster then I start backing away slowly.

Look into what happened to unhelpful officers 15 years before you joined pal. What made him think anything had changed in those 15 years ? Idealism I guess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:11 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Free State army!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 pm 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
When he enlisted how could Tom Clonan have known what happened during the Arms Trial and who was on the side of honesty and decency? The entire mechanisms of the State was used to destroy those men and to blacken their names.

Anyway, shame that article couldn't get his name right. Colonel Michael Heffernan was one of the finest men this country ever produced, and I think it's fair to trace a continuum from the the way he and his family was treated to the way Tom Clonan was treated, to the way all the current whistleblowers are being treated (McCabe, Harrison, Wilson, Jonathan Sugarman etc etc, and indeed the hundreds of other people who have been destroyed through the years for standing up for decency.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:

"Yis destroy evertin' yis touch! Yis try to callapse dis gubbermint lik yis callapsed de nordren assemly"

There is fairly universal agreement that there was no option but to collapse the Northern Assembly after the scale of the DUP fraud became apparent.

Can you provide a source for this claimed "universal agreement" - outside the ramblings of a few pro SF bloggers?

I thought the general consensus was SF pulled out of government to aid their internal politics as Martin McGuiness was about to retire due to ill health.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Good old wasp killer's 2 cents

Michael McDowell calls on Garda Commissioner to stand aside

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.2977920

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

And I wasn't aware that the enquiry into 'cash for ash' was already done and dusted and that the DUP had findings against them for fraud!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 69  Next