Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Sloppy sloppy journalism
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 am 
Of Systemic Importance

FFS Coles your position is using Una's sexuality to try to create issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 am 
Nationalised

I think it's great to see Coles doing a complete 180 from posting ad hominem insults on the Pin to defending the victims. Makes me feel happier about posting here.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 am 
Nationalised

I don't engage in ad hominem stuff. It takes from the forum. If anyone wants to engage with me on the topics then fire ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 am 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
I don't engage in ad hominem stuff.

The "sneer and jeer brigade" will be surprised to hear that. :)

Anyway, we were talking about sloppy journalism. Are we out of examples?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:58 am 
Nationalised

Barney Gumble wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
I don't engage in ad hominem stuff.

The "sneer and jeer brigade" will be surprised to hear that. :)
You need to blame Gene Kerrigan for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Una Mullally: "Why the abortion strike will succeed"
Strike 4 Repeal’s planned action will inspire movement against the Eighth Amendment

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una-m ... -1.2955661

Take a day off work to strike, and hope you job is still there when you get back

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:48 am 
Speculator

Coles2 wrote:
I don't report many posts but in this case I don't really have any option. Contributors need to remember that it's not acceptable to make reference to private individuals or other contributors in terms of their sexual orientation or preference.

Also I think it's worth reminding ourselves of the rules of this forum. They exist for good reason.

Kindness is a virtue and the kindness of strangers is virtue in motion.

Perhaps there is a need for a Things We Did Not Know Last Week thread.

That is the difference between you and me. I do not complain about posts. I do not need to run to a virtual mammy if I do not like what people write.

Who would have thought that a person who responds with sneering and personal comments with a hair-trgger alacrity is himself such a delicate flower who has such a princess-and-the-pea sensibility?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:54 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

FreeFallin wrote:
It seems an odd thing to have to apologise for...journalist v journalist wise especially. It was hardly libellous though something must have come into Newstalk on legal headed paper for him to say that

Or alternatively, he realised in the cold light of day that it made him look kind of stupid. Though if Hook apologised for everything he said that made him look stupid, it'd take up most of his show.

Can't see how it could possibly be seen as libellous, though. Just very unprofessional for anyone who calls themselves a journalist.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:22 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Worstpigeon wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
It seems an odd thing to have to apologise for...journalist v journalist wise especially. It was hardly libellous though something must have come into Newstalk on legal headed paper for him to say that

Or alternatively, he realised in the cold light of day that it made him look kind of stupid. Though if Hook apologised for everything he said that made him look stupid, it'd take up most of his show.

Can't see how it could possibly be seen as libellous, though. Just very unprofessional for anyone who calls themselves a journalist.

The apology sounded like it was being read ouy by Hook from something smone else prepared. It sounded like 1 of those apoologies your hear when a libel letter has arrived in to the Editor.
Definitely not an off the cuff effort

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Average Irish rent rises by €134 a month, says report

The average cost of renting a home in the Republic has increased by €134 a month over the last year,

What he means of course is that the monthly cost of renting a home has increased by €134 over the last year. I'm not sure which is worse, Conor Pope's sloppy drafting or the sub-editors who put up with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23