Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1034 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Strike Season
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 pm 
Too Big to Fail

First over the top - the National Bus Drivers Union

Quote:
MEMBERS OF THE National Bus and Rail Union have rejected the Labour Court’s cost-cutting recommendation at Bus Éireann in a ballot taken today.
An all-out strike will now go ahead from Sunday.

The all-out strike action could continue for an indefinite period of time.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-st ... 4-May2013/

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

Post subject: Re: Strike Season
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:56 pm 
Single Home Owner

Union politics in Dublin Bus is crazy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
Neo Landlord

caught the last 2 minutes of a cooper interview, 45k a year for driving an old bus eh.... tis no wonder the place is moving money hand over fist. 30k would be plenty for what is in all essence unskilled labour. It will be telling how this plays out quick fold or a definite hard ball strategy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
propietario wrote:
Union politics in Dublin Bus is crazy

Yes they are.

And in Bus Eireann? Where this article concerns...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

corkfella wrote:
caught the last 2 minutes of a cooper interview, 45k a year for driving an old bus eh.... tis no wonder the place is moving money hand over fist. 30k would be plenty for what is in all essence unskilled labour. It will be telling how this plays out quick fold or a definite hard ball strategy

In that case, apply for a job there.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:23 pm 
Single Home Owner

corkfella wrote:

I think they might even have a DB pension scheme (not sure if it is still open)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm 
Neo Landlord

the edge wrote:
corkfella wrote:

why would I? its not my industry but my brother works in transport and truck drivers who work far longer hours do not come close to these bloated wages.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm 
Property Magnate

the edge wrote:
corkfella wrote:

You know there are plenty of people who would be interested in applying for one of these jobs at 45k. Not sure how often these jobs come up though. It's very good pay for a job that doesn't need any qualifications or extensive training and isn't physically demanding. I've no doubt it comes with it's own challenges but so does every job on the planet.

I do feel sorry for people being asked to take any form of paycut at a time of tax increases etc and someone on 45k isn't exactly on the pigs back but the fact remains that if this was a private company then it would be bust by now and everyone would be out of work. The staff are being offered an alternative to this - they are not going to get much sympathy from the public. Particularly on the increase to a 39 hour week. A lot of people would love to only have to do a 39 hour week.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Didn't someone post here about Arriva trying to recruit Irish people to work the buses in Malta for €250pw?
Ah here it is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58652&p=693738&hilit=malta#p693738

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing & moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' - Bertie Ahern 04/07/07

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

alex_a wrote:
I do feel sorry for people being asked to take any form of paycut at a time of tax increases etc and someone on 45k isn't exactly on the pigs back but the fact remains that if this was a private company then it would be bust by now and everyone would be out of work.

The thinly veiled call for privatisation, yes, I expected that would rear its head sooner or later.

Would you truly drive a bus for 45k gross in preference to being on the scratcher? I wouldn't. It's a comparatively stressful job with a significant risk of physical threat on some routes and carrying significant and potentially criminal legal risks if you become involved in a crash - even if, as happened with the case of the bus that mounted the pavement on the quays a few years back, you are found innocent of any wrongdoing.

But you don't consider that alex_a, do you, because you have been so brainwashed by anti-public sector shills in the corporatist media that you cannot process any other perspective.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm 
Too Big to Fail

corkfella wrote:
the edge wrote:
corkfella wrote:

why would I? its not my industry but my brother works in transport and truck drivers who work far longer hours do not come close to these bloated wages.

The fact that your brother is being exploited by private sector interests should not prevent you from showing solidarity with public sector workers who may currently happen to have better conditions.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 pm 
Neo Landlord

the edge wrote:
corkfella wrote:
the edge wrote:
corkfella wrote:

The fact that your brother is being exploited by private sector interests should not prevent you from showing solidarity with public sector workers who may currently happen to have better conditions.

come off it will you. exploited by the private sector, that commie stuff is laughable. he works hard and gets a fair wage and is happy in his work.

bus eireann is an badly run public sector body that is heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. It needs to cut costs thats thereality.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:40 pm 
Property Magnate

the edge wrote:
alex_a wrote:
I do feel sorry for people being asked to take any form of paycut at a time of tax increases etc and someone on 45k isn't exactly on the pigs back but the fact remains that if this was a private company then it would be bust by now and everyone would be out of work.

The thinly veiled call for privatisation, yes, I expected that would rear its head sooner or later.

Would you truly drive a bus for 45k gross in preference to being on the scratcher? I wouldn't. It's a comparatively stressful job with a significant risk of physical threat on some routes and carrying significant and potentially criminal legal risks if you become involved in a crash - even if, as happened with the case of the bus that mounted the pavement on the quays a few years back, you are found innocent of any wrongdoing.

But you don't consider that alex_a, do you, because you have been so brainwashed by anti-public sector shills in the corporatist media that you cannot process any other perspective.

You need to get over yourself and your assertion that someone who disagrees with you is brainwashed. And I re-iterate that a huge number of people would happily do this work for 45k. No doubt there are already a number of people doing more or less the same job for a lot less. And there was no call for privatisation from me. But there is an expectation that comparatively highly-paid workers in a loss making organisation should expect to take a salary cut if they want to retain their jobs. And that expectation should not only apply to private organisations.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm 
Too Big to Fail

alex_a wrote:
You need to get over yourself and your assertion that someone who disagrees with you is brainwashed. And I re-iterate that a huge number of people would happily do this work for 45k. No doubt there are already a number of people doing more or less the same job for a lot less. And there was no call for privatisation from me. But there is an expectation that comparatively highly-paid workers in a loss making organisation should expect to take a salary cut if they want to retain their jobs. And that expectation should not only apply to private organisations.

Whether knowingly or otherwise, your statement that "if this was a private company then it would be bust by now and everyone would be out of work" is basically mouthing propaganda from privateer shills - Shane Ross, Sean Barrett, all the usual suspects.

The reality is that a decent transport system cannot be run as a profit-making private corporation. The French and Germans realised this decades ago, which is probably why they have the best transport networks in the world - and almost entirely state-owned.

Your argument therefore fails at the first hurdle.

But, hey, congrats on falling, hook, line and sinker for the divide and conquer strategy being pushed - now more or less openly and in plain sight - by the ruling class.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I think you will find the losses in the French and German systems are (closeted) in the rail infrastructure companies as opposed to the costs in the operating companies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1034 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next