Post subject: "Thank the brave Brian Lenihan when we exit the bailout next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:54 am 
Under CAB Investigation

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/victoria-white/victoria-white-thank-the-brave-brian-lenihan-when-we-exit-the-bailout-next-month-250239.html

Did anyone else read this drivel? Victoria of course fails to mention that her husband was Lenihan's cabinet colleague and current Green Party Leader Eamon Ryan. Funny that.

she ends the piece with this.
Quote:
How often Lenihan’s wife Patricia Ryan must have rued that day as she sat at home, night after night, waiting for her terminally ill husband to come home from his department. It is possible that she shared his commitment to this country to such a degree that she sacrificed that time without resentment. I don’t know.

But I know one thing for sure: if we get to Dec 15 and successfully exit the bailout we will have learned nothing, absolutely nothing, if we try to pretend it wasn’t the courage of Brian Lenihan who charted our course.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Last edited by Ivor Lot on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "Thank the brave Brian Lenihan when we exit the bailout
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 pm 
Nationalised

It's just the fast track canonisation of Saint Lendahand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

It's an awful shame someone of such wisdom and insight was never in a position of influence to change things for the better. Or even if she had known someone in such a position, we could be living in a very different world.

Instead she married some sort of failed bicycle salesman.

Patricia Ryan isn't the only one who rues every fucking minute that fucking halfwit spent in his department.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:

The infantile idea put about that by choosing to save the banks the Government was choosing not to maintain the social infrastructure — and the fact that this idea had traction — just shows how uneducated we are as a people.

What a stupid bitch.

She has no idea what she's prattling on about.

These fucking people make me extremely angry. Suggesting that, even with hindsight, there weren't better options than the shit show we were led down.

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

coc wrote:
It's an awful shame someone of such wisdom and insight was never in a position of influence to change things for the better. Or even if she had known someone in such a position, we could be living in a very different world.

Instead she married some sort of failed bicycle salesman.

Patricia Ryan isn't the only one who rues every fucking minute that fucking halfwit spent in his department.

You misunderstand coc. The writer of the piece,Victoria White; is Eamon Ryan's wife. Patricia Ryan was married to Lenihan. I think she's a judge, circuit court maybe.
Or just reading you there again maybe you don't misunderstand at all. Anyway, I jut wanted to clarify as it's confusing that Lenihan's wife is also a Ryan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:05 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Thanks Ivor. Yes, I see that my post might look like I'm confusing my Whites and my Ryans. To be clear then, Victoria and Eamon are disgusting parasites, who are inexplicably given platform after platform to retrospectively justify the treacherous conduct of the most incompetent and reckless government Ireland has endured since Diarmuid Mac Murchadha invited the neighbours over to bail him out.

Lenihan will be rightly vilified by generations to come as should this parasite and her poor simpleton of a husband.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
Too Big to Fail

coc wrote:
Thanks Ivor. Yes, I see that my post might look like I'm confusing my Whites and my Ryans. To be clear then, Victoria and Eamon are disgusting parasites, who are inexplicably given platform after platform to retrospectively justify the treacherous conduct of the most incompetent and reckless government Ireland has endured since Diarmuid Mac Murchadha invited the neighbours over to bail him out.

Lenihan will be rightly vilified by generations to come as should this parasite and her poor simpleton of a husband.

Saw Eammo on Primetime the other night about the Eirgrid Pylons and he was all over the place. Eirgrid claim to need to build the pylons to strengthen the networks to carry the power from Eammos precious wind farms. But the good people along the routes are saying no way
Eammon caught between a irish politicians natural instinct to please and worried that some of the audience might say Pylons ugly Windfarms uglier came up with a unique solution. Since one of the issues raised was drop in house values because you were too close to the pylons Eammos solution was.......Eirgrid (meaning the taxpayer) buys all these houses at "Market value" A sort of NAMA LIGHT (gettit :-GC )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

coc wrote:

yeah, I know I certainly place a lot of blame on lenihan.

But, only recently when watching Yes Minister, I was reminded of how incompetent Ministers could be,
and really when you think about it, if something went wrong at the Ministry for Administrative Affairs,
you knew that Sir Humphrey would know a hell more about it than Jim Hacker.

So, the screw-up at the Department of Finance, do I blame Lenihan or Kevin Cardiff?
I'm inclined to blame Kevin Cardiff more, Lenihan a solicitor to me, seemed to be way out of his depth in a Financial brief.
A bit like an economist in a legal brief such as the Department of justice and Law Reform

Lenihan went to McWilliams for advice - someone outside the Department of Finance,
he got PWC I think it was, to look over Anglo's accounts before committing himself to guaranteeing their liabilities,
he got rid of Patrick Neary and put someone from outside the Department of Finance in the Irish Central Bank,
the fact that apparently, according to the media, he flew to central Europe on his own for help rather than with the support from the Department of Finance officials (Am I looking at another situation like Mick Collins going to bargain with the UK - a boy to do a man's job - i really believe that slimy wanker Ahern would have got better terms.)
Lenihan was blameable but maybe not totally blameable.
The truth is I don't know, maybe none of the above actions amount to anything.

For me though, no-one is more blameable than Patrick Neary,
although its a close contest between himself and Brian Cowen,
a gobshite that was still negotiating a national pay deal with pay rises at the same time that the country was collapsing.

The thing is, did Brian Lenihan not negotiate this so-called 5-year budgetary plan with Europe,
one which, on getting into power, the opposition did not rip and start again,
but actually chose to follow it - and then claim credit when they left the bailout.

Roc, if we had a organization like the FDIC in the US, where banks could be closed one day, and money transferred to other banks by the next working day, I would feel more confident in condeming Lenihan.
This is a country where our civil servants couldn't set up Suzie to dispense college maintenance grants efficiently,
do I want them transferring funds from one closed bank to another strong bank - if we had a strong bank.
I would have to have experienced the situation in Cyprus first-hand,
where families were left with no access to funds for a few days before i can really judge the rights and wrongs.

I think the incompetence is ingrained in our government for the past 20 years,
just look at the Minister responsible for FAS spending 1 billion a year at a time of full employment and never thinking something was wrong!
I could go on and on, citing instances of stupidity in our governments.

For me, this whole crisis began the day the Irish Government abolished the household property tax in the 1990s - so lets hope history remembers that person and the devastation they have caused to the property market ever since.

Former CEO of Bank of Ireland Mike Soden has said many of the people who took out buy-to-let mortgages used the money to fund lavish lifestyles. Who would have made the money, had the market not collapsed? The individual would have.
(http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banks-to-use-rent-receivers-to-collect-buy-to-let-mortgages-561140.html)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

discostu wrote:
Since one of the issues raised was drop in house values because you were too close to the pylons Eammos solution was.......Eirgrid (meaning the taxpayer) buys all these houses at "Market value" A sort of NAMA LIGHT (gettit :-GC )

Muppet - one good thing that South Dublin County Council did was to build necessary roads alongside/underneath electricity pylons that no-one wanted to live near.
These two maps, one of which Google needs to update, but if you look closely you can see how close the new road runs to the pylons.
From memory, I think Fingal County Council did this alongside the M1.
Surely when building the motorways from the midlands, ESB networks or Eirgrid could have forseen this issue and built the pylons beside the new Motorways.
Ronanstown - Adamstown

Belgard -Citywest

Former CEO of Bank of Ireland Mike Soden has said many of the people who took out buy-to-let mortgages used the money to fund lavish lifestyles. Who would have made the money, had the market not collapsed? The individual would have.
(http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banks-to-use-rent-receivers-to-collect-buy-to-let-mortgages-561140.html)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 pm 
IMF'd

Ireland_is_different wrote:
Roc, if we had a organization like the FDIC in the US, where banks could be closed one day, and money transferred to other banks by the next working day, I would feel more confident in condeming Lenihan.

You forget what teh FDIC was borne out of - it took under 100 days to come up with the legislation for the FDR government. Our government had the advantage of having legislation in various parts of the rest of the world (including the EU) to copy. Instead of spending three months coming up with the guarantee, they could have spent three months coming up with bank resolution legislation.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:37 pm 
Property Magnate

I think the incompetence is ingrained in our government for the past 20 years,
just look at the Minister responsible for FAS spending 1 billion a year at a time of full employment and never thinking something was wrong!
I could go on and on, citing instances of stupidity in our governments.

So what happened about 20 years ago? It was decided to restructure the civil service and we introduced the Strategic Management Initiative (SMI) and the Top Level Appointment Committee (TLAC). TLAC handles all of the appointments of Secretaries General and essentially handled control of these appointments to politicians as Cabinet approves all of the appointments. So what was the result of these developments, we have had the greatest period of policy failure in the history of the State.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43 pm 
IMF'd

Yippee, the sheeple love it... http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1123/488675 ... overnment/

Boo, nasty economist types... http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/11 ... et-report/

Spintastic...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Lenehan spoke at Haughey's funeral. Haughey stole from the fund set up to pay for Lenehan senior's life saving operation.

That says volumes about the man, his priorities and his loyalties.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

For me though, no-one is more blameable than Patrick Neary,

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews ... 6759.shtml

Quote:
The first chief executive of the Financial Regulator Liam O'Reilly, retired at 60 and joined the board of Irish Life & Permanent Plc. He became the first Chairman of the Chartered Accountants Regulatory Board (CARB) in April 2007. He is also a director of Merrill Lynch International Bank based at the IFSC. Last February, CARB appointed the former Irish Comptroller & Auditor General, John Purcell, to undertake an investigation into the issue of directors' loans at Anglo Irish Bank. Seán Fitzpatrick is a chartered accountant.

Patrick Neary was appointed to the position of chief executive in February 2006. Prior to this, he held the position of prudential director of the Financial Regulator from 2003. In this role, his responsibilities included the protection of consumers’ deposits, funds and policies. He is a fellow of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants (FCCA) and was previously Head of Securities and Exchanges Supervision and Deputy Head of Banking Supervision in the Central Bank of Ireland.

O'Reilly is seldom mentioned was more to blame, Neary was also delinquent , not that he shouldn't be locked up as well.

Both trying to ride me...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 pm 
Nationalised

For me, this whole crisis began the day the Irish Government abolished the household property tax in the 1990s - so lets hope history remembers that person and the devastation they have caused to the property market ever since.

Property tax has never stopped any property bubble, however the optimisation of the tax code did play it's part in extending the bubble, the bubble in Ireland ran about 15 years. Prior to that within living memory we had the farmland bubble that burst in 1979. There were a combination of factors that fed the bubble here, the key driver was the introduction of the Euro, that drove the fall in interest rates and the unleashing of a massive credit binge. The f&ckwits in the department of finance and it's subsidiary the central bank did NOT advance any argument against it's introduction in Europe. The damage was done and the rot was already there long before a clueless time server like Patrick Neary got the foremans job. Neary got handed the reigns in 2006 when Liam O'Reilly got out and went to sit on the boards of the banks he once "regulated", at that stage Neary was just a passenger in the ensuing debacle. Neary would have acted in the full knowledge of the DoF to allow the Irish banks cross funding.

Governor O'Connell's Central Bank defence - -> http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/go ... 88707.html
02 April 1998

Quote:
Central Bank governor Maurice O'Connell yesterday emphatically rejected suggestions that the bank had failed customers in its supervisory role of the main banks.
The Central Bank ``very rarely'' went into branches to carry out inspections and would not examine branch audits unless it had reason to believe that issues of importance affecting the stability of the bank might arise, he said.
He had no reason to believe, he said, that the kind of activity highlighted in reports concerning the National Irish Bank was going on in other banks. But he added that the Central Bank would never tolerate any abuse of people's trust in the banking system.

there is more

O'Connell stays at Central Bank - Shane Ross -> http://www.independent.ie/business/ocon ... 46858.html
28 January 2001

Quote:
Banking sources say that the Government's request to Mr O'Connell to stay on is based on his unique knowledge of the euro and Ireland's entry to the single currency. Department of Finance officials are believed to be anxious that the present governor should oversee the introduction of euro notes and coins in January 2002.
Mr O'Connell, a career civil servant in the Department of Finance, was one of the principal defenders of the Irish pound during the devaluation crisis in 1992/93 when current Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was Minister for Finance.

there is more

Politicians failed to grasp financial risk during boom, says ex-mandarin - Tom Lyons -> http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 85918.html

Quote:
Ireland's most powerful civil servant during the boom, Dermot McCarthy -- who left office with a golden goodbye of €570,000 and a pension of €142,000 a year -- has claimed the government was warned of the financial and economic risks but politicians failed to "fully understand" the vulnerabilities
In documents released after a 19-month FoI battle with the Department of Finance, McCarthy admitted in September 2010 that "reflecting back" Ireland's "financial vulnerability" and exposure to international money markets was "extreme".
He said politicians and civil servants were blinded by success. "We were swayed by an abundance of resources," he said, but he insisted "risks were certainly highlighted" by his own Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Finance to their political masters.

there is more

Bailout mandarin gets €725k top-up - DANIEL McCONNELL -> http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ba ... 66184.html

Quote:
Mr Doyle was Mr Lenihan's key official on the night of the bank guarantee on September 29, 2008, and played a crucial role in deciding the Government's course of action.
In line with norms for senior officials in the civil service, Mr Doyle received a tax-free lump sum of one-and-a-half times his final salary, worth €343,000.
On top of that, he also received a severance payment of €115,000 -- or six months' salary. As a result of the added top-up, his annual pension is also €115,000. This amounts to a total of €575,000.
His top-up and severance payment are among a number included in a €10.5m pension lump sum payout to top civil servants by all government departments since 2005, revealed today.

there is more

Lendahand was the patsy appointed as minister for finance in May 2008. He was well out of his depth and faced with a crisis being guided by the same mandarins in the DoF who had presided over the policy that led to this for many decades. At the height of the crisis the mandarins likely clammed up when the likelihood of their exposure over the cover up seemed inevitable and he was left alone to seek answers, which was probably why he went looking for David McWilliams opinion.

Last edited by BoyRacer on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.