Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: The charity sector thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:03 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Today's Irish Times includes a portrait of Cork Simon which reveals simply astonishing staffing levels:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.1631647

The agency has 76 full time staff and 20 volunteers to service the needs of 38 rough sleepers in the city in 2011 and 169 today.

Yes just one staff member for every two homeless people.

The article mentions that some non rough sleepers also avail of Simon's services, but even taking this into account - realistically can this level of staffing be justified?

By way of comparison, Liam Doran from the nurses' trade union mention on RTE drive time this evening that the staffing ratio in intensive care us one nurse to every three patients and in geriatric hospitals it is one nurse and one nurses' aid per 40 patients. Yet after revealing this fact, he was greeted by a lecture from Mary Wilson about he need to make cuts.

I agree we need to make cuts but surely they should be intelligently targeted? Vital services should be protected while over staffing of organisations like Simon should be eliminated.

Last edited by mocame on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Staffing levels at Cork Simon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:11 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

If as appears in the article Cork Simon spends €6.5m this year on 170 homeless persons - is that a cost of c. 38K per homeless person? and would that be on top of anything else the homeless person is entitled to/or is spent by other homeless agencies? Sounds wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

They could just hire all the homeless people in Cork & then lay off their staff 8DD

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:14 pm 
Real Estate Developer

This figure is correct in my experience big books, I have calculated that the spend on homeless services in Dublin averages at €35 per person.

I simply cannot understand why there is not more media attention on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

mocame wrote:
This figure is correct in my experience big books, I have calculated that the spend on homeless services in Dublin averages at €35 per person.

There's only so many things you can be angry about at any given moment & I suspect a lot of people just aren't capable of getting any more pissed off than they already are . :|

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm 
Nationalised

mocame wrote:

Clearly a crazy number but... is it not the case that homelessness is often conflagrated with some form of mental illness? I know you hear the stories of people becoming homeless due to family breakups etc, but I was under the impression that they were in the minority, and that what the majority need are extensive social services, mental heath facilities, etc than could indeed run to tens of thousands per year.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:
Cork Simon, established 42 years ago, will spend €6.5 million this year on providing services to those who are homeless, and on the verge of being made homeless – two groups whose numbers have swelled with the collapse of the Irish economy during the past five years.

The charity, which employs 76 full-time equivalents and has a core of 20 full-time volunteers and some 1,000 part-time volunteers, is this year hitting record numbers for those utilising its services, such as emergency shelter, soup runs and housing support.

I'm assuming the vast majority of their spend is towards those who at risk of becoming homeless.
€35k per homeless person doesn't add up for any charity, especially since they have so many unpaid volunteers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
mocame wrote:

Clearly a crazy number but... is it not the case that homelessness is often conflagrated with some form of mental illness? I know you hear the stories of people becoming homeless due to family breakups etc, but I was under the impression that they were in the minority, and that what the majority need are extensive social services, mental heath facilities, etc than could indeed run to tens of thousands per year.

Having lived in the "homeless industry" capitol of the world, SF, where they spend several hundred million dollars a year to keep several thousand people *on* the streets the simple answer is that there are very few true homeless people. At least around here. People down on their luck who have temporarily lost their home and have nowhere to live. The word "homeless" is used as a blanket term to hide a whole spectrum of heterogeneous problems, usually self inflicted, behind a simplistic and misleading tag.

The vast majority of the "homeless" are winos or junkies, the mentally ill who wont take their meds, drifters, runaways, and what were once called tramps. Basically mostly people who are where they are through their own volition or else through bad personal choices. In the case of the mentally ill, the real tragedy of the streets, in the US various human rights laws over the decades has made it almost impossible to get involuntary commitment orders for those mentally ill who need close supervision taking meds. It seems its a basic human right to not take meds that will give someone a reasonably dignified and stable life and instead let them die in utter squalor on the streets. A least a few dozen die like this every year. In just one city.

That is the real reason why you see so many mentally ill on the streets in US cities. You dont see so many in Dublin. It is a truly heart-breaking sight. But it seems this is not a problem for the progressive types whose main knowledge on the subject seems to mainly come from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. It seems notional "rights" are more important than actual deaths.

You do see and hear genuine hard luck tales every now and then. But not that many. But on the whole most people will stay on the streets as winos and drifters until *they* make the decision to clean up their acts. In the meantime you'll have thousands of NGO parasites with all their "programmes" making a very nice living from not solving the problems they hide under the vacuous and meaningless term "homelessness". Think of the NGOs as modern secular missionaries indulging in middle class sanctimony. At least their non-secular equivalent 100 years ago preached temperance, self dignity and self worth. Which actually is part of a real solution to the underlying problem in most cases. The modern equivalent just offers a never ending (but lucrative) non-solution to a very real social problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

jmc wrote:
Basically mostly people who are where they are through their own volition or else through bad personal choices.

I've seen too many pregnant junkies and neglected children to think like that.

Also from what I gather from what you term workers in the "industry" there's a shocking correlation between child sexual abuse and ending up on the streets. I suppose you could counter that they've made a bad personal choice from not dealing with it adequately the way so many other survivors do. But some people just can't cope.

Coping skills is what some of the really great workers in the "industry" help to foster in the homeless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 pm 
Real Estate Developer

mocame wrote:

Sorry all just logged on and retread my earlier post and realised I left out a vital figure. The spend on homeless services in Dublin is €35k per person.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:23 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Brilliant post JMC. This "homeless" business (and it's a multi-million Euro business) has gotten completely out of hand and the more charities that are involved it seems, the worse it gets. We're all being hit with a massive guilt trip by these "charities" who cynically make us part with our cash on the basis of misleading information. (I'd like to know how, and why, the number of homeless families has "doubled" this year, as one radio ad keeps informing us.)
And I've just realised that I've been "homeless" myself at least three times in my lifetime - thanks to hearing Alice Leahy from Trust on the radio a few days ago. Apparently, once you have no permanent accomodation and are, for example sleeping on a friend's couch for a period, you are deemed to be "homeless". (And I must remind my good mate, a Dutchman, who slept on the couch in my parents sitting room for about two months in the 1980s that he was also "homeless" at the time. I think we should both offer to do one of those "reality" radio ads, where we can speak of our first hand experience of the horrors of being "homeless".)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 pm 
Neo Landlord

HiFi wrote:
And I've just realised that I've been "homeless" myself at least three times in my lifetime - thanks to hearing Alice Leahy from Trust on the radio a few days ago. Apparently, once you have no permanent accomodation and are, for example sleeping on a friend's couch for a period, you are deemed to be "homeless". (And I must remind my good mate, a Dutchman, who slept on the couch in my parents sitting room for about two months in the 1980s that he was also "homeless" at the time. I think we should both offer to do one of those "reality" radio ads, where we can speak of our first hand experience of the horrors of being "homeless".)

This definition covers at least 50% of Australians living in Europe...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:32 pm 
Speculator

There's certainly some serious payola going on in that particular field. The Corpo alone is spending €46 million or almost a quarter of its housing budget on 'Administration of Homeless Service' although I don't know if some of that is distributed via the various charities. Off the top of my head there's The Simon Community, Focus Ireland and the Peter McVerry Trust operating in the area (amongst others I presume) so straight away there's a lot of wasted money in administration. When private hostels can profitably accommodate young backpackers for €10 or €12 a night including VAT you have to wonder where all the cash is going...

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Ab ... t_2013.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 pm 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
But some people just can't cope.

I've experienced a wide spectrum of people on the edge. The people who genuinely can't cope have serious physiological conditions and need intense care, when I was growing up my mother used to take care of children who were in and out of the institutions during the Summer holidays when she had me and my siblings available. In practice that meant us having to give constant attention during the day as their defects required that, to put them to sleep in the evening they were often given medication. Quality of live was not great for the extreme cases, down syndrome is relatively easy to cope with on the spectrum. Most of these people die before the age of 40 due to these conditions which tends to be hard on the parents involved having put so much time and effort into caring for the individual. In about half the situations we handled the children had been totally rejected as a result of the defect they were born with and got dumped in a state institution, they experienced very low quality of life. That's my experience of the extreme end of the spectrum.

Given where I live currently I meet another class of people who are on the margin and the quality of life these people experience depends on their willingness to engage with other people and given human nature they have a support structure built up around them and generally people around them look out for them. That was one of the problems with the evictions during the Summer they disrupted the support structure these people had built up around them, the well meaning landlords around the place did put them up in up alternative accommodation while they renovated the place, their rent still went up though. The landlords who decided to call it a day gave the tenants their notice and sold up or boarded up the premises. A few of those former tenants were camping out in the Phoenix park over the Summer, having nowhere to go. those people can cope because they are willing to engage and human empathy takes care of the rest.

There is is another class of of person that is classed as being unable to cope and these people will either not engage or have engaged in some anti-social behaviour that warrants their expulsion. These are the people you very often see on the street sleeping rough, the reasons they will not engage are varied, it can be as you say physical or sexual abuse in the home forcing them to runaway, the key thing is trying to catch them before they fall in the hands of predators (as I have indicated before these predators exist across all strata of Irish society) otherwise there is nothing you can do to help them. There are another class of men who may at one time have held down a job and a family and through their own acts have alienated themselves from their family and seek refuge in alcohol or drugs. They are there of their own volition either they sort themselves out or they end up in the city morgue within 5 years. There are also men of no fixed abode who drift around from city to city sometimes London or Birmingham and sometimes Dublin and I don't know why but it seems to be a lifestyle choice for them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:51 pm 
Too Big to Fail

mocame wrote:
mocame wrote:

Sorry all just logged on and retread my earlier post and realised I left out a vital figure. The spend on homeless services in Dublin is €35k per person.

Remember Fas spent 250K on for every person they placed into employment in 2007.

Total disgrace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next