Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 pm 
Nationalised

Rents in my part of Galway have risen more like 20% on the year as the hot market pushes right out beyond the City limits, Down in the village where there are a few tiger era estates it is more like 25% up on the year.

Rents rose in lockstep with property prices round my way until around 2002 after the McCreevey microslump in 2001 and then house prices decoupled and rent was static from around 2002 to 2014 while house prices soared again.

Rents only moved off their long term local average in 2015 and kept going in 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

You have to conclude that this kind of thing is widespread

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.2975618

Dublin City Council is investigating the renting out by a homeowner of 16 bunk beds, in three bedrooms, to young women for up to €445 each a month. The bunk beds are being let in the Portobello home of film and radio documentary-maker Eamon McElwee, who is also living in the house. A former resident, a young Brazilian woman working as a carer, who was paying €420 a month for a bunk in a room with five others, says she was “really desperate” when she took a bed in the house last November. “To be honest I was so relieved I found somewhere. I got a bottom bunk so I hung sheets around my bed, like curtains, for a bit of privacy.”
All the other women – apart from one “young Irish girl, she was about 18” – were from abroad.
“They were from France, Mexico, China, Brazil. Some had hardly any English.”
She has provided photographs showing bunk beds crowded beside narrow lockers. Green blinds are over the windows, which she says, were to be kept closed at all times.
A visit to the property on Monday found 21 full bags of rubbish in the front garden. All blinds were down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 pm 
Too Big to Fail

HiFi wrote:
You have to conclude that this kind of thing is widespread

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.2975618

Dublin City Council is investigating the renting out by a homeowner of 16 bunk beds, in three bedrooms, to young women for up to €445 each a month. The bunk beds are being let in the Portobello home of film and radio documentary-maker Eamon McElwee, who is also living in the house. A former resident, a young Brazilian woman working as a carer, who was paying €420 a month for a bunk in a room with five others, says she was “really desperate” when she took a bed in the house last November. “To be honest I was so relieved I found somewhere. I got a bottom bunk so I hung sheets around my bed, like curtains, for a bit of privacy.”
All the other women – apart from one “young Irish girl, she was about 18” – were from abroad.
“They were from France, Mexico, China, Brazil. Some had hardly any English.”
She has provided photographs showing bunk beds crowded beside narrow lockers. Green blinds are over the windows, which she says, were to be kept closed at all times.
A visit to the property on Monday found 21 full bags of rubbish in the front garden. All blinds were down.

Quote:
ADVISED TO REMOVE

Last edited by NegativeEquity on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Indeed announced 500 new jobs for Dublin over the next 2 years.
Microsoft announced 600 new jobs for Dublin this AM to be filled over the coming 6 months.

This rental crisis is going to get crisier!

Last edited by FreeFallin on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 am 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Microsoft announced 600 new jobs for Dublin this AM to be filled over the coming 6 months.

This rental crisis is going to crisier!

I think the pragmatic solution here is to give up on the prospect of sufficient accommodation for the required workers, and instead for the existing population to start working two or even three jobs as needed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 am 
Of Systemic Importance

FreeFallin wrote:

How can Dublin be so attractive to international companies when it is such a hellhole for workers on the very moderate wages which those companies are willing to offer.
Think of all the gentrification that could be achieved in towns like Limerick or Athlone or Dundalk or Waterford with that sort investment.
Apart from Government taking income tax/PRSI/USC etc.. from these employees and then claw the lions share of their remaining disposable income be it in tax on rental income or VAT or a multitude of other taxes it is hard to see the benefit it delivers to society especially as 1100 beds will not be built in the greater Dublin area in response to the additional need for accommodation.

If they are intent on making Dublin a metropolis then make Dublin a metropolis and build, build up now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

dipole wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

How can Dublin be so attractive to international companies when it is such a hellhole for workers on the very moderate wages which those companies are willing to offer.
Think of all the gentrification that could be achieved in towns like Limerick or Athlone or Dundalk or Waterford with that sort investment.
Apart from Government taking income tax/PRSI/USC etc.. from these employees and then claw the lions share of their remaining disposable income be it in tax on rental income or VAT or a multitude of other taxes it is hard to see the benefit it delivers to society especially as 1100 beds will not be built in the greater Dublin area in response to the additional need for accommodation.

If they are intent on making Dublin a metropolis then make Dublin a metropolis and build, build up now.

I have been pondering this for a while, It doesnt make sense. I can only conclude it's down to poor planning and weak leadership.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:24 pm 
Neo Landlord

Administrative systems not fit for purpose.

1000s of cities have managed to solve similar issues. Not that hard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm 

dipole wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

Most of the skilled workers are in Dublin, or are willing to move there. Once you get outside Dublin and maybe Cork, recruiting skilled tech workers becomes very difficult. This isn't just an Irish phenomenon; the tech industry is very inclined to cluster, even where, on the face of it, it doesn't really make sense (Silicon Valley, say). I wouldn't take a job in Athlone, partially because I've lived in Dublin all my life and don't particularly want to leave, but also because, if the company went under, there'd likely be no replacement jobs locally, whereas in this industry there's plenty of competition for employees in Dublin.

Realistically, even if you don't need skilled workers, suddenly creating 1,000 jobs or whatever in a small town is probably a problem. In Dublin, sure, there's a housing crisis, but you can probably get your thousand people. In Dundalk, if 1,000 extra people suddenly show up, where the hell are they going to live? The problem is that we only really have one proper city, maybe two. This is hard to fix, and realistically probably won't be fixed, so hoping large employers will move to regional towns is not a good approach; effort should be concentrated on alleviating the housing (and transport) crisis in Dublin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Worstpigeon wrote:
dipole wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

Most of the skilled workers are in Dublin, or are willing to move there. Once you get outside Dublin and maybe Cork, recruiting skilled tech workers becomes very difficult. This isn't just an Irish phenomenon; the tech industry is very inclined to cluster, even where, on the face of it, it doesn't really make sense (Silicon Valley, say). I wouldn't take a job in Athlone, partially because I've lived in Dublin all my life and don't particularly want to leave, but also because, if the company went under, there'd likely be no replacement jobs locally, whereas in this industry there's plenty of competition for employees in Dublin.

Realistically, even if you don't need skilled workers, suddenly creating 1,000 jobs or whatever in a small town is probably a problem. In Dublin, sure, there's a housing crisis, but you can probably get your thousand people. In Dundalk, if 1,000 extra people suddenly show up, where the hell are they going to live? The problem is that we only really have one proper city, maybe two. This is hard to fix, and realistically probably won't be fixed, so hoping large employers will move to regional towns is not a good approach; effort should be concentrated on alleviating the housing (and transport) crisis in Dublin.

I actually don't accept that it's hard to fix, but I think you're right to say it won't be.

If the government was serious about addressing this they could have sites shovel ready in at least all of the cities (maybe big towns too) to add apartment blocks, and associated schools, shops, etc, for any significant job announcement. Of course if we could do that we could also fix Dublin, but let's not pretend it's because it's inherently "hard". The people who could do it just refuse to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 pm 
Real Estate Developer

dipole wrote:

1. That's not the company's problem - they don't give a damn
2. In other countries the Government resolves the problem - having planned to attract jobs, they have also planned to provide housing and public infrastructure. In Ireland the landlords in the Dail rub their hands with glee, the other gobshites continue to talk about a crisis and take no action

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I remember when people were debating this stuff around 2005/6/7....some people talking about problems associated with infinite growth economics, others about planning, public transport, rental markets, all the rest of it etc etc....seems we're back talking about the same crap a decade later....in a week where Garda corruption and spectre of child sexual abuse loom large .....and still nobody wants to talk about the bigger picture and the possibility that there is an underlying philosophy underpinning it all....no, tweak the fire prevention laws, tweak housing policy, tweak immigration requirements, tweak bedsits, tweak rent allowance......what a load of bollix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Exactly.
There's no vision, no long term plan.
It's all about fighting to stand still on the housing crisis, the health crisis, the Gardai crisis etc etc. A tweak here, a fix there. Bull5hit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 pm 
Nationalised

Worstpigeon wrote:
Most of the skilled workers are in Dublin,

I think you mean "Riga" or "Marseille".

Worstpigeon wrote:
or are willing to move there.

Bingo. Try telling someone in France with fluent French and Russian that you have a great job opportunity for them in.... Dundalk.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

FreeFallin wrote:
Exactly.
There's no vision, no long term plan.
It's all about fighting to stand still on the housing crisis, the health crisis, the Gardai crisis etc etc. A tweak here, a fix there. Bull5hit.

cmon success propaganda is great. It will be grand, I am telling you..

Irish are great at selling stuff which does not exists or will never be even close to that vision. God damn, these sales people.. So many times as engineer I had to deal with unrealistic expectations from customers, after they've been brainwashed by our sales team.

Quote:
I think you mean "Riga" or "Marseille".

You mean Kraków, Munich or Wrocław... ;)

This is my best finding this year:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next