Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irish Moral Hazard Organisation (IMHO)
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:19 am 
Property Magnate

Poc wrote:
Dubhgeannain wrote:
Hearsay at this stage but, according to Newstalk this morning the claimed but so far unpaid Lotto win of € 8.2 m was by a well known property developer in Sligo. The reason it is so far unpaid? You'll love this...

He(pretty sure they said he) wants it paid in cash due to to owing NAMA/banks a shed load.

Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone else find it annoying that large lottery wins are tax free?

I thought they aren't? Doesn't the lottery pay the relevant tax, so the lottery win you get is so to say "net" after tax?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am 
Holiday Home Owner

newirishman wrote:
Poc wrote:
Dubhgeannain wrote:
Hearsay at this stage but, according to Newstalk this morning the claimed but so far unpaid Lotto win of € 8.2 m was by a well known property developer in Sligo. The reason it is so far unpaid? You'll love this...

He(pretty sure they said he) wants it paid in cash due to to owing NAMA/banks a shed load.

Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone else find it annoying that large lottery wins are tax free?

I thought they aren't? Doesn't the lottery pay the relevant tax, so the lottery win you get is so to say "net" after tax?

Don't think so.

If it was taxed, it would make sense for them to advertise the pre-tax amount, it's no skin off their nose what the revenue do after you've received your novelty oversize cheque.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm 
Old Time Landlord

It's a sad day for family life in Ireland that there's nobody he could trust to be the winner on his behalf.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Poc wrote:
newirishman wrote:
Poc wrote:

Don't think so.

If it was taxed, it would make sense for them to advertise the pre-tax amount, it's no skin off their nose what the revenue do after you've received your novelty oversize cheque.

Yes, I remember back at the time when the Lottery was launched and a big deal was made of the fact that prizes were to tax free.

BuMble wrote:
It's a sad day for family life in Ireland that there's nobody he could trust to be the winner on his behalf.

That was my first thought too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:41 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Maybe not the right thread to place this but...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0729/805739 ... er-claims/

Lifeline managers claim dismissal was due to whistleblowing

Quote:
Two senior managers at the Lifeline ambulance company owned by mortgage campaigner David Hall have alleged that they were unfairly dismissed because they disclosed alleged wrongdoing at the company to the Revenue Commissioners.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm 
Nationalised

So what was this alleged financial wrongdoing by David Hall's company?

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 pm 
Real Estate Developer

tax evasion. There is a description on the Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2738889

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:15 am 
Under CAB Investigation

RTÉ had quite a long segment on it last night.

Judge insisted that they stay on the payroll for now. Will be a drag on the business for quite a while I'd say.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:09 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

You can take the man out of Fianna Fail but you can't take Fianna Fail out of the man.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm 
Single Home Owner

mocame wrote:
tax evasion. There is a description on the Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2738889

Nobody comes out of that story well. Including the Revenue auditors who I thought are supposed to be ruthless.

I wonder what Mr. Hall's financial backers, the ones who insisted on his return to active involvement in Lifeline last August, thought of his media re-emergence in the Console debacle and its timing in relation to the above matter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:16 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I only buy one newspaper a week these days, the Sunday Business Post, and spend a week working my way through it. So it's only today that I stumbled across a reference to David Hall in last Sunday's edition in an article about AIB readying a portfolio of BTL loans for sale to vulture funds.

"The lender is thought to be engaging in early-stage discussions with debtor advocate David Hall, who recently confirmed plans to raise up to €150 million to fund the purchase of mortgages, about the possibility of a loan sale."

It seemed to suggest Hall was a politically palatable destination for owner occupier mortgages which could not be sold off to vultures in the way BTLs could.

Interesting who will end up getting screwed here; Mr. Hall's investors because they should have realised they were investing in a 'social project' so of course there can't be any foreclosures, or the AIB mortgage holders who suddenly find that Mr. Hall is no longer an advocate of forbearance when it affects his bottom line?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:11 pm 
Nationalised

...or the taxpayers when they realise AIB sold to Hall at less that market value due to political pressure.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:22 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:
...or the taxpayers when they realise AIB sold to Hall at less that market value due to political pressure.

Recall: http://www.thejournal.ie/new-beginning- ... 3-Dec2014/

New Beginnings passed on details of its customers to a potential business partner. In fairness this was long after Hall had left NB.

But it is suggestive of the business model not unusual in the third sector in Ireland:
-Declare yourself a champion of the needy
-Set up a charity
-Build a client base
-Become a paid facilitator for the state
-Pay yourself tiny salary of course

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:52 pm 
Nationalised

bleeding parasites Joe

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environm ... 8.facebook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Daid Hall is not into cycling...I'm shocked!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next