Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How did you vote in the Referendum today?
Yes - Marriage 42%  42%  [ 62 ]
No - Marriage 9%  9%  [ 14 ]
Yes - Presidential 28%  28%  [ 42 ]
No - Presidential 20%  20%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 148
 Post subject: Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:48 pm 
Nationalised

FirstBass wrote:
So judgemental. Are you 'No' voter by any chance?

Yes Hifi has been a clearly defined NO voter all the way through.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:50 pm 
Nationalised

Well the pinster exit poll is showing a stunningly fabulous YES for gay marriage (I make it 83% in favour at time of post) but a lot less certain about the presidential age in comparison.

Fascinating.

Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
FirstBass wrote:

Yes Hifi has been a clearly defined NO voter all the way through.

I know, it was just my little joke... :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FirstBass wrote:

Yes voter here and I agree with him

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Open Window wrote:
Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.

The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
A stand on Henry St today for the Yes side also had the same message.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:46 pm 
Neo Landlord

FreeFallin wrote:
Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

...but, but, but.... sher Enda hasn't had a personal journey re what the majority of the people in this country wants/needs... and as for the Labour party putting that kind of sense into their party manifestos/negotiations for programme for government..... sher where would you get that idea from?!?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:

The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

If even .001% of our population are not treated equally in the constitution we have a duty to do something about that.
Media were incredibly strict with time allotments, you may not have heard all the no campaigners but from my perspective there was a good balance. The majority of elected representatives and many respected public figures were campaigning for a yes vote, there weren't as many big names supporting no which might give the impression that they were underrepresented but I think in actual air time terms there was equal coverage

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

FreeFallin wrote:
Homosexuals were treated very badly by Irish society for a long time. I'm happy to see such strong support for a Yes vote.

Edit: Here's one I remember although I was young at the time:
http://comeheretome.com/2013/06/03/reac ... n-ireland/
9 September 1983: Declan Flynn, Fairview Park, Dublin
Flynn (31), an Aer Rianta worker, was beaten to death by a group of five teenagers in a ‘gay-bashing’ incident in Fairview Park. The gang had been responsible for a spate of attacks on gay men in previous weeks and it emerged that they used the park to target members of the gay community. As Flynn lay dying, £4 from his pocket and his watch was stolen. In court, one of the teenagers admitted that “we were all part of the team to get rid of the queers from Fairview Park”. The five male teenagers were all released on a suspended manslaughter charge with Judge Sean Gannon saying “This could never be regarded as murder”.

Last edited by ex-Patrick on Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:01 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Homemaker wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:

If even .001% of our population are not treated equally in the constitution we have a duty to do something about that.
Media were incredibly strict with time allotments, you may not have heard all the no campaigners but from my perspective there was a good balance. The majority of elected representatives and many respected public figures were campaigning for a yes vote, there weren't as many big names supporting no which might give the impression that they were underrepresented but I think in actual air time terms there was equal coverage

Not true.

Ive read today that an independent surveyor has calculated that Yes articles outnumbered No articles in newspapers by three to one...when you factor in web forums and social media, this has probably been the most one-sided referendum 'debate' in the history of the Irish State....

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:03 pm 
Nationalised

A majority of Pinsters in favour of lowering the Presidential candidate age? I'm surprised by that, but I had a 'road to Damascus' conversion myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
Ive read today that an independent surveyor has calculated that Yes articles outnumbered No articles in newspapers by three to one...when you factor in web forums and social media, this has probably been the most one-sided referendum 'debate' in the history of the Irish State....
You don't remember the tiny feet on collar pins I guess.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:11 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Renting And Proud! wrote:
FirstBass wrote:

Yes voter here and I agree with him

+2 the pontificating and one-upmanship is quite tiresome.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:21 pm 
Property Magnate

FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:

Your percentages are a bit off. Half of the heterosexual population is too young or too old to get married too, and plenty more are 'playing the field or have no interest in getting married'. So, in due course, the percentage of same sex marriages is likely to be reflective of the total number of lesbian/gay people in the country.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

There was definitely a massive heavy bias towards Yes in all the meeja..

All these people 'returning home' to vote, I wonder if they were ordinarily resident here on 1st September last?
Otherwise they are not eligible to be on the electoral roll. But shure this is ireland

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

There's is definitely a class of people who would probably have voted to give the gay community more rights than the rest of us just to show everyone how right on and liberal the really are. :)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."
—Hunter S Thompson-The Great Shark Hunt, 1979

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next