thepropertypin.com
http://www.thepropertypin.com/

Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64486
Page 2 of 5

Author:  Open Window [ Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FirstBass wrote:
So judgemental. Are you 'No' voter by any chance?


Yes Hifi has been a clearly defined NO voter all the way through.

Author:  Open Window [ Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Well the pinster exit poll is showing a stunningly fabulous YES for gay marriage (I make it 83% in favour at time of post) but a lot less certain about the presidential age in comparison.

Fascinating.

Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.

Author:  FirstBass [ Fri May 22, 2015 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Open Window wrote:
FirstBass wrote:
So judgemental. Are you 'No' voter by any chance?


Yes Hifi has been a clearly defined NO voter all the way through.



I know, it was just my little joke... :)

Author:  Renting And Proud! [ Fri May 22, 2015 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FirstBass wrote:
So judgemental. Are you 'No' voter by any chance?


Yes voter here and I agree with him

Author:  FreeFallin [ Fri May 22, 2015 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Open Window wrote:
Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.


The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
A stand on Henry St today for the Yes side also had the same message.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

Author:  Sammy [ Fri May 22, 2015 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FreeFallin wrote:
Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

...but, but, but.... sher Enda hasn't had a personal journey re what the majority of the people in this country wants/needs... and as for the Labour party putting that kind of sense into their party manifestos/negotiations for programme for government..... sher where would you get that idea from?!?

Author:  Homemaker [ Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:
Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.


The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
A stand on Henry St today for the Yes side also had the same message.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

If even .001% of our population are not treated equally in the constitution we have a duty to do something about that.
Media were incredibly strict with time allotments, you may not have heard all the no campaigners but from my perspective there was a good balance. The majority of elected representatives and many respected public figures were campaigning for a yes vote, there weren't as many big names supporting no which might give the impression that they were underrepresented but I think in actual air time terms there was equal coverage

Author:  ex-Patrick [ Fri May 22, 2015 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FreeFallin wrote:
Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:
Homosexuals were treated very badly by Irish society for a long time. I'm happy to see such strong support for a Yes vote.

Edit: Here's one I remember although I was young at the time:
http://comeheretome.com/2013/06/03/reac ... n-ireland/
9 September 1983: Declan Flynn, Fairview Park, Dublin
Flynn (31), an Aer Rianta worker, was beaten to death by a group of five teenagers in a ‘gay-bashing’ incident in Fairview Park. The gang had been responsible for a spate of attacks on gay men in previous weeks and it emerged that they used the park to target members of the gay community. As Flynn lay dying, £4 from his pocket and his watch was stolen. In court, one of the teenagers admitted that “we were all part of the team to get rid of the queers from Fairview Park”. The five male teenagers were all released on a suspended manslaughter charge with Judge Sean Gannon saying “This could never be regarded as murder”.

Author:  Poacher turned gamekeeper [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Homemaker wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:
Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.


The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
A stand on Henry St today for the Yes side also had the same message.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:

If even .001% of our population are not treated equally in the constitution we have a duty to do something about that.
Media were incredibly strict with time allotments, you may not have heard all the no campaigners but from my perspective there was a good balance. The majority of elected representatives and many respected public figures were campaigning for a yes vote, there weren't as many big names supporting no which might give the impression that they were underrepresented but I think in actual air time terms there was equal coverage


Not true.

Ive read today that an independent surveyor has calculated that Yes articles outnumbered No articles in newspapers by three to one...when you factor in web forums and social media, this has probably been the most one-sided referendum 'debate' in the history of the Irish State....

Author:  Coles2 [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

A majority of Pinsters in favour of lowering the Presidential candidate age? I'm surprised by that, but I had a 'road to Damascus' conversion myself.

Author:  ex-Patrick [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
Ive read today that an independent surveyor has calculated that Yes articles outnumbered No articles in newspapers by three to one...when you factor in web forums and social media, this has probably been the most one-sided referendum 'debate' in the history of the Irish State....
You don't remember the tiny feet on collar pins I guess.

Author:  pm1977 [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

Renting And Proud! wrote:
FirstBass wrote:
So judgemental. Are you 'No' voter by any chance?


Yes voter here and I agree with him


+2 the pontificating and one-upmanship is quite tiresome.

Author:  mortgageboy [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

FreeFallin wrote:
Open Window wrote:
Could there be a correlation between the amount of media time one question got over the other. I'd say there is a very strong possibility. Does this point to the power of media when it mobilising before our very eyes to command our attention. Sure. Was it biased? No idea.


The way the Media rounded as one on this was quiet staggering...I thought there was rules on the radio for example around splitting air time equally between both sides and the Presenters showing no bias at all. But that has been out the window since day 1. Now I know how people felt living in the old USSR :lol:
Perhaps this could lead to a legal challenge from the No side in the near future?

I saw an ad in the Sth Dublin Echo from Brid Smith Councillor for PbP..."Beat the Bigots, Vote Yes'.
A stand on Henry St today for the Yes side also had the same message.
Nothing as illiberal as a Liberal....if you don't agree with me, your a bigot and a homophobe (this last one being a particular favourite of a few of the celebs who were all too keen to get in the news on this referendum).

Never has there being so much media space and noise given to such a small minority in this country before.
Is circa 7% of the population Gay? Half of them are too young or too old to be married. Another high % are playing the field or have no interest in getting married.
So we're left with maybe 1% of the population who may actually take this up each year.....and for that we've had around 3 months of constant Media hype, Una Mullally columns etc etc.

Oh if only so much time was devoted to the Housing question in this country or the cost of childcare, what a great place it would be too live in. But those subjects don't seem to impact on the luvvies in the Media/artistic world much :roll:


Your percentages are a bit off. Half of the heterosexual population is too young or too old to get married too, and plenty more are 'playing the field or have no interest in getting married'. So, in due course, the percentage of same sex marriages is likely to be reflective of the total number of lesbian/gay people in the country.

Author:  temene [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

There was definitely a massive heavy bias towards Yes in all the meeja..

All these people 'returning home' to vote, I wonder if they were ordinarily resident here on 1st September last?
Otherwise they are not eligible to be on the electoral roll. But shure this is ireland

Author:  Rimbaud [ Fri May 22, 2015 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Ref, EXIT POLL - How did you vote?

There's is definitely a class of people who would probably have voted to give the gay community more rights than the rest of us just to show everyone how right on and liberal the really are. :)

Page 2 of 5 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/