Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Je suis Corbyn
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:06 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
If a footballer chose not to wear a poppy on his shirt would his action be considered 'politicising it' and if so, why? :)

Are you referring to James McClean?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:52 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
catbear wrote:
Walking around the english city streets I'd guesstimate I see roughly one in 30 people wearing a poppy.
mr_anderson wrote:
Most people don't wear them. Complete non-issue.

So then it would be fair to assume that only 1 in 30 Premiership footballers would wear a poppy? Only 1 in 30 MPs? 1 in 30 media personalities, journalists, reporters and 'celebrities'? Have you got a TV? :)

I haven't had a TV since I give it away after "I'm an adult, get me out of here" was on. But I know what you're saying. In the pubic media sphere it really has become something truly nationalistic and far detached from its supposed significance.

By the way I I reckon I was off on my estimate, it's probably more like 1 in 60 people on the street and a lot of ladies seem to favour an accessorized elaborate jewel versions. It's ripe for a comic send up, someone with a giant poppy berating others for being less patriotic with the normal poppies etc..

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:54 pm 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
If a footballer chose not to wear a poppy on his shirt would his action be considered 'politicising it' and if so, why? :)

Are you referring to James McClean?

Has any other Premiership player made the choice not to wear it? And if not, why? :)

Wearing a poppy is only meaningful if it’s voluntary, - The Guardian.
Quote:
The irony here is that McClean, in choosing not to wear the poppy, has thought more thoroughly about its meaning than the 359 other Premier League players who do sport it in the matches this weekend. I am not castigating them for wearing those shirts, but it seems unlikely that most of them made an informed choice to do so, in the way McClean chose not to. They are simply doing what is expected of them, in the same way that politicians appearing in public have a poppy pinned to them by an adviser, or a TV newsreader has one thrust upon them by a production assistant.

Nor is there any reason for most Premier League footballers to feel any connection to Britain’s war dead. Last season, two-thirds of players in the Premier League were non-English.

I suppose he was 'virtue signalling'! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:58 pm 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Have you got a TV? :)

I haven't had a TV since I give it away after "I'm an adult, get me out of here" was on.
You missed 'Stwictly Come Dancing ON ICE'?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:41 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Show your respect for the fallen, get down to Tesco and pick up these gut stuffers.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 pm 
Speculator

Coles2 wrote:
Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:
Good pic. It is a strange one
It's getting stranger every year.

How about this one?

And yes, that is an OFFICIAL British Legion fundraising picture. That has nothing whatsoever to do with commemorating anyone and everything to do with pro-military propaganda.

I don’t wear poppies, and this image perfectly encapsulates why
The article that accompanies that picture was very powerful
Quote:
...And now it all becomes clearer than ever. They want us to forget what happened and pretend–as they did a hundred years ago–as though wars are nothing more than a jolly good lark. They brainwash children: not to mourn, but to strive to emulate. I cannot stop looking at that picture. It makes my gorge rise. These are children, and yet in a few years’ time, if they follow the naive dream they are being steered towards, we could be seeing them shipped back in coffins.

Instead of the symbols, the reminders, we should focus on actually remembering. On remembering, one sees the brutal senselessness of this slaughter. With a symbol, it is all too easy to simply radicalise children into militarism...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 pm 
Nationalised

The modern law of self-defence, - International Institute for Strategic Studies.
Quote:
At this IISS event the UK Attorney General, Jeremy Wright, will explain the UK’s position on the application of international law on self-defence. He will set out the legal basis for British military strikes against terror targets overseas, and stress that it is vital for the UK to retain the right to deploy lethal force in self-defence against terrorists who would harm the country.

In particular he will discuss the concept of 'imminence', and will, for the first time, outline the legal considerations that would be discussed before action is taken in self-defence against an imminent attack.

UK adoption of US drone assassination model ‘shocking’ – campaigners, - RT.com
Quote:
Britain will look to the US drone assassination model as it seeks to update its own rules of war, a move campaigners say is deeply concerning.
Sir Jeremy Wright QC, the government’s senior lawyer, will give a speech on the law as it relates to targeted killing. Wright will speak at the International Institute for Strategic Studies on Wednesday.

The key issue which he is expected to address is that of ‘imminence’ – the circumstances required to legitimate a pre-emptive strike – and the potential for collateral damage – killing civilians – in order to ‘save’ lives elsewhere.

Wright is expected to insist that the threshold for deadly action and for collateral damage are not being lowered, but rather brought up to date.

“So we really want to see the principles [of pre-emptive self-defense] that the US have already adopted, which we think strikes the right balance of all the different factors,” he will say according to a draft of the speech seen by the Guardian newspaper.

UK to conduct anti-terrorist operations in Irish Airspace, - UK Defence Journal
Quote:
It is understood that Civil servants from the Irish Department of Defence and Department of Foreign Affairs with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) entered into a bilateral agreement with British counterparts: the RAF, the Civil Aviation Authority, the Ministry of Defence, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The agreement reportedly permits the British military to conduct armed operations over Ireland in the event of a terrorist-attack, real or suspected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:21 pm 
Speculator

Quote:
Laura Kuenssberg report on Jeremy Corbyn breached accuracy and impartiality rules, BBC Trust finds
The BBC breached accuracy and impartiality rules with a News At Six report by Laura Kuenssberg on Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, its governing body has ruled.

An item, which aired in November 2015, inaccurately represented the Labour leader’s views on a shoot-to-kill policy in the aftermath of the Paris terror attacks, it found.

The complaint, by a member of the public rather than Mr Corbyn himself, was rejected four times previously under the BBC’s own editorial standards policies, before the Trust finally ruled against the programme.
More...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 pm 
Nationalised

UK Government covered up Trident missile fiasco, - The Sunday Times.
Quote:
The cause of the failure remains top secret but a senior naval source has told this newspaper that the missile — which was unarmed for the test — may have veered off in the wrong direction towards America after being launched from HMS Vengeance, one of Britain’s four nuclear-armed submarines.

The source said: “There was a major panic at the highest level of government and the military after the first test of our nuclear deterrent in four years ended in disastrous failure.

“Ultimately Downing Street decided to cover up the failed test. If the information was made public, they knew how damaging it would be to the credibility of our nuclear deterrent.

“The upcoming Trident vote made it all the more sensitive.”

The incident happened shortly before Theresa May became prime minister but she omitted any mention of the failed test when she persuaded parliament to spend £40bn on new Trident submarines in her first big Commons speech on July 18.

In an interview this morning, May refused to say whether she knew about the failed test when she addressed MPs.

Read more...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am 
Nationalised

Tory by-election boost is a humiliation for Labour https://www.ft.com/content/46bf968c-fa4 ... d53499ed71 via @FT

Quote:
Tory by-election boost is a humiliation for Labour
Historic Conservative win leaves opposition facing stark choice, writes Sebastian Payne

It is a good time to be a Conservative and a bad one to be a Labour or UK Independence party supporter. The result in Thursday’s poll in Copeland, Cumbria is a historic victory for the Tories: for only the fourth time since the second world war, a party of government has seized a seat in a by-election.

The opposition Labour party has been humiliated: it has lost a constituency that it held for more than 70 years. The unpopularity of its leader, Jeremy Corbyn, proved too powerful, as activists confirmed what has long been suspected: he is toxic on the doorstep.

The Tories not only gained Copeland but did so with a comfortable majority — almost the same as Labour’s at last year’s general election. It was the best by-election performance for a governing party since 1966

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... enge-stoke
Quote:
Labour suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the the Conservative party in Copeland, a heartland seat dominated by the party since 1924, just half an hour after the party saw off Ukip leader Paul Nuttall in a bitter battle for Stoke Central.

Jeremy Corbyn is under mounting pressure after Labour’s Gillian Troughton was defeated by the Conservatives’ Trudy Harrison, marking the first time a governing party has taken a seat from another party in a byelection in 35 years.

who saw that coming? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am 
Nationalised

Oi! Keep your pants on, mate!

The Labour Party won the by-election in Stoke, despite it being the 'Brexit Capital of England' where 70% of the voters voted to leave the EU.

The Copeland vote was 13k to 11k, which was close by any measure. There will be a period now while the Brexit voters affirm their choice by voting for hate-mongering, anti-immigrant parties, but they'll realise soon enough that they are being led down the garden path. The defeat of UKIP is the start of that process.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 pm 
Nationalised

Corbyn's destruction of Labour would be funny at this stage if it didn't leave the UK political landscape dangerously unbalanced towards the right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:20 pm 
Speculator

More unbalanced to the right than when Tony Blair led the Labour party? Even John Major said he was to the right of the Conservative government that preceded him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 pm 
Nationalised

I think the emergence of UKIP and it's subsumation by the Tories might be more to blame for unbalancing the UK. I'm fairly sure I warned of this over the last couple of years. The greatest threat to Ireland has always come from the Britain. It's a geography thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
I think the emergence of UKIP and it's subsumation by the Tories might be more to blame for unbalancing the UK. I'm fairly sure I warned of this over the last couple of years. The greatest threat to Ireland has always come from the Britain. It's a geography thing.

UKip are essentially HyperTories and are now being folded back into the mothership.

I do think you're right about a potential threat to Ireland, when things get nasty during A50 there's potential to lash out at easy targets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next