Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Je suis Corbyn
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:45 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2, 2015 wrote:
'Poppyism' is Fascism. Every year it gets more and more bizarre and stupid, but any effort to point that out could literally result in your murder. Have we reached 'peak poppy'. Not a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Coles2 wrote:
Coles2, 2015 wrote:
'Poppyism' is Fascism. Every year it gets more and more bizarre and stupid, but any effort to point that out could literally result in your murder. Have we reached 'peak poppy'. Not a chance.

Good pic. It is a strange one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:13 pm 
Nationalised

Looks like a tomato.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:22 pm 
Nationalised

It's a 5-year-old tomato though judging by the date on it.

"You see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge." --Scroobius Pip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
Coles2, 2015 wrote:

So remembering the war dead is now fascism? The very same people who gave their lives to fight fascism.

Do you see the wearing of the easter lilly as fascism?

--------------------------

What does Geschichtsmüde mean?

What does Ohnmachtswutfreude mean?

lorg na deoire

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing everyday. - Winnie the Pooh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:25 pm 
Nationalised

Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:
Good pic. It is a strange one
It's getting stranger every year.

How about this one?

And yes, that is an OFFICIAL British Legion fundraising picture. That has nothing whatsoever to do with commemorating anyone and everything to do with pro-military propaganda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:03 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Coles2, 2015 wrote:

So remembering the war dead is now fascism? The very same people who gave their lives to fight fascism.

That's not the point. If you want to wear a poppy that's fine and dandy.

The problem is that in the UK it has become practically mandatory. Anyone who doesn't adorn themselves with a poppy is instantly labelled as anti-British, hates the British troops, supports enemies of Britain etc. etc.

If you want to get ahead in British public life, without drawing controversy, there's no question that you'd have to wear the poppy without question. That's what has the troubling echoes of fascism.

Ask James McClean (who doesn't consider himself British AFAIK), who has legitimate and compelling reasons not to wear the poppy, how fair and even handed those who chose not to wear a poppy are treated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:32 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Coles2, 2015 wrote:

That's different :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:57 am 
Too Big to Fail

It's not the wearing of symbol that's troubling but the stifling social pressure and groupthink that goes with it.

Anti-poppyists think that wearing the poppy represents a sort of a moral rubber-stamping of stupid immoral wars.
Pro-poppyists think that wearing the poppy is apolitical and that the anti-poppyists are disrepecting the sacrifice of the war dead by politicising it.

To me the behaviour of both sides looks like a lot of shallow virtue signalling.

I don't personally like public displays of grief towards strangers but generally STFU as it's not a debate that ever ends well. Wear it or don't wear it, but don't be a dick about it either way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:45 am 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
Pro-poppyists think that wearing the poppy is apolitical and that the anti-poppyists are disrepecting the sacrifice of the war dead by politicising it.
So the poppy is a non-political statement, but not wearing it IS a political statement? Interesting. I've never seen anyone actually admit that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:01 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Eschatologist wrote:
Wear it or don't wear it, but don't be a dick about it either way.

Amen to that!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Walking around the english city streets I'd guesstimate I see roughly one in 30 people wearing a poppy.

Of closer to the 11th it will probably increase.

Actually the only criticism I've ever got from anyone for not wearing a poppy was on the 11/11 last year in Ireland when some local history nob was on their high horse about it being an Irish commemoration too. Undoubtedly the same nob was probably in full swoon of the easter lilly too.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:36 pm 
Nationalised

I lived in London for a number of years.
Found that those wearing poppies were mostly ex-servicemen or had a relation who died in one of the wars.
Most people don't wear them.
Complete non-issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
So the poppy is a non-political statement, but not wearing it IS a political statement? Interesting. I've never seen anyone actually admit that.

Read what I posted again. I wrote "by politicising it". I didn't define what "it" is. Maybe I should.

This is how these conversations go, in my experience. Typical scenario: someone goes round an office selling poppies for charity. An individual doesn't buy one.

Nigel (pro): you're not buying a poppy?
Polly (anti): no, I don't really believe in it.
Nigel: believe in what?
Polly: well, I think many of these wars were appalling and remembrance glorifies it a bit.
Nigel: this isn't about politics, this is about respecting the sacrifice of our blah blah blah.
Polly: well, WWI was a total clusterfuck from the start. Millions dead and for what? Then we impoverished the Germans and that sowed the seeds for the Nazis. And don't get my started on Iraq.
Nigel: Why are you making such a big deal of this? You should really STFU and show some respect. Why do you hate this country? Sacrifice duty veterans blah blah blah.

Sometimes the Nigels start the argument and sometimes the Pollys. It never ends well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:03 pm 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
Walking around the english city streets I'd guesstimate I see roughly one in 30 people wearing a poppy.
mr_anderson wrote:
Most people don't wear them. Complete non-issue.

So then it would be fair to assume that only 1 in 30 Premiership footballers would wear a poppy? Only 1 in 30 MPs? 1 in 30 media personalities, journalists, reporters and 'celebrities'? Have you got a TV? :)

Eschatologist wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:

Read what I posted again. I wrote "by politicising it".
If a footballer chose not to wear a poppy on his shirt would his action be considered 'politicising it' and if so, why? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next