Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Re: Time for renters to make themselves heard
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:16 pm 
Nationalised

I would hazard a guess that the average standard of rented accommodation in Ireland is generally increasing due to increased regulation. The bedsit ban/minimum standards is a big step forward, as well as better regulation of new developments.

Obviously it would be great if everyone could live in a 5000 sq ft mansion, but we have to be realistic about allocation of scarce resources. In the case of apartment blocks these are space and capital. It may make a lot of sense in some purpose-built rental blocks to allocate space and capital to things other than individual driers. This is unlikely to make sense at the higher end and in larger apartments, but sub 400 sq ft it might make the difference between an extra storage area and none.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:22 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
Stop and ask yourself is this progress or is the standard of living decreasing with apartments and now talk of shared facilities. Bottom barrel crap for sure. I did it in Australia. It sucks.

I share a Miele washing machine. I'm not complaining.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:38 pm 
Nationalised

dipole wrote:
Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
Stop and ask yourself is this progress or is the standard of living decreasing with apartments and now talk of shared facilities. Bottom barrel crap for sure. I did it in Australia. It sucks.

I share a Miele washing machine. I'm not complaining.

I have to share one with my wife. It's a disgrace Joe!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

slasher wrote:
Have you ever lived in a place that had [shared laundry facilities]?

I have. They were fine. I also shared a bathroom with non-family members for about 10 years. That was also fine. I grew up in a house with a single bathroom. For a year or so in that house my washing machine was broken and I had to either wash my clothes by hand in the bath or walk a mile or so each way to the launderette. None of these things bothered me.

I do worry sometimes (ok, I don't) that a subset of millennials has grown up thinking that things like en-suite bathrooms represent a sort of civilisational lower bound.

Kids these days etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:50 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

In Germany it is clear what your apartment contains;
light and heat; yes or no or how much additionally
service charge; yet or no or how much additionally
square metres; divide rent by sq. m. to get an indication of value for money
lockable storage space in Cellar; yes or no
kitchen; yes or no
parking space; yes or no or details of on street parking.

no griping because everyone knows the score.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Sharing clothes washing facilities means:

1. Having to haul heavy bags of laundry and detergent around a building;
2. Having to hope that there is a machine available or change your plans and haul all your dirty laundry back to your flat only to try again later meaning your morning/evening is ruined and needs re-planning;
3. Having to use machines that likely stink;
4. Having to use machines that have stranger's pubic hair in them;
5. Having to use machines that have bits of tissues in them;
6. Finding all your clothes are wrecked because a recent user put dye or bleach in the machine;
7. Having to stick your hands into another person's laundry because they didn't bother coming back on time to empty the machine;
8. Having to plan your entire morning/afternoon around the wash because you need to be there to empty the machines;
9. Finding your clothes have been flung on the ground because you didn't come back on time;

Nobody who has had to share laundry facilities would advocate for it. It is dismal.

Having a place in the basement for your own machines is the best solution as it does not preclude keeping the machines in your flat, if you prefer.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 pm 
Nationalised

I feel the same way about having to share a swimming pool.

Joking aside, shared facilities of any sort are not ideal but can make sense. Depends on the trade off.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:26 pm 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
slasher wrote:
Have you ever lived in a place that had [shared laundry facilities]?

I have. They were fine. I also shared a bathroom with non-family members for about 10 years. That was also fine. I grew up in a house with a single bathroom. For a year or so in that house my washing machine was broken and I had to either wash my clothes by hand in the bath or walk a mile or so each way to the launderette. None of these things bothered me.

I do worry sometimes (ok, I don't) that a subset of millennials has grown up thinking that things like en-suite bathrooms represent a sort of civilisational lower bound.

Kids these days etc.

I have too - on several occasions. They were fine for me as single man but as I pointed out they need to be managed/have someone responsible and this is then reflected in the service charge. Mullally doesn't mention this.

It's a gimp level article; moaning and cut/paste from blogs - and the only - sort of - solution is generally unworkable for normal Irish apartment blocks (though the one advantage it might have would be to reduce laundry drying in apartments which is a cause of mold in damp climate - then again though that's unknowable as people might baulk at paying a premium for drying...). No mention of supply, no mention of those who made a fortune tax free from their PPRs in Una's hood in SCD

The same edition of the newspaper carries an article outlining how Dublin city councillors want to keep Dublin low rise; not mentioned in this column. Beyond parody.

oh; and she claims no one she knows can buy houses. I know several of her classmates from Colaiste Eoin - they all own property and did before 2006

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Agreed, it is a cut and paste article. The only bits that she adds herself are mostly swivel eyed loon - that the 24 month law "caused" rent increases and was premeditated to do this. It didn't really. It led to rent reviews - the market is the reason for the rent increases. And the market is influenced by the constraints the state places on it, such as Low Rise planning guidelines.

If she'd come up with something interesting like taxing vacant property that would be at least interesting to read. It must be easy to track. Look up all the MPRNs with no/low power usage

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:47 pm 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:
Obviously it would be great if everyone could live in a 5000 sq ft mansion, but we have to be realistic about allocation of scarce resources. In the case of apartment blocks these are space and capital. It may make a lot of sense in some purpose-built rental blocks to allocate space and capital to things other than individual driers. This is unlikely to make sense at the higher end and in larger apartments, but sub 400 sq ft it might make the difference between an extra storage area and none.

Point is about whether or not its progress or if it is an increase the standard of living to go from predominantly semi-ds to move towards town houses and apartments. Whether having an ever increasing population making these resources of space and land near cities is a good thing or not. Nobody is questioning this. Also its not a big country and with maybe one or two good motorways and train lines an alternative to Dublin could be created. If using an already existing city/town all you need is to change some local council plans.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm 
Nationalised

I guess I'm asking whether apartments are replacing semi-Ds, or bedsits.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:37 am 
Property Magnate

Most people put them on small annex balconies in Asia. You can buy washing machines of any size to fit. Dryers aren't so common. You can also hang some clothes on the annex balcony. Handy solution. Never seen a shared laundry facility. Some folks get the launderette or dry cleaners to do everything, you can even drop your stuff in 7-11 and then collect it again the next day or two. Maybe you can do 'airlaundry', something catchy like 'dirtyknickers.com' 8DD There's money to be made in laundry!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:48 am 
Back Home with Mammy

Putting aside the various methods of washing and producing a clean pair of underpants, one point she made does make sense:

If renters could organize and speak as an organised group, then the great rental rip-off going on could be tackled head on.

The 24 month rental freeze is a joke in my case. My landlord just insisted on a rent increase via cash in hand.

He brought along supporting info from daft to remind me of what else is available on the rental market. The implication being that if I didn't like it then I could begin the move from the frying pan to the fire.

Without security of tenure you really have no strong point of negotiation. If a family moves into rental accomondation and pays the rent on time - IMO they should be given at least 5 years security.

The whole rotten sytem is corrupt to the core when it's a "pay more or get out" situation for a family home - even in the face of a so called 24-month rental freeze.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 am 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:
newirishman wrote:
It would be helpful to change the Irish building regulations so that you could at least put your washer and dryer into the bathroom, stacked upon each other.
Best place for it in my opinion.

Is there a restriction? I wasn't aware.

Yes, it's a complete joke. Electricity and water yadda yadda, yet somehow it's fine to have them in a kitchen beside a sink, or in a utility room with a sink. But in the same room as a toilet? Nope, not allowed.
:roll:

If you build a little 'housing' for the washer and dryer, you might get away with it though.
It's so stupid. In some countries (Australia I think is one) the bathroom is often seen as the logical/ natural place for a washing machine.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:00 am 
Property Magnate

croquette wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Makes sense re shared laundry facilities in apartment blocks. Happens in other countries.

Have you ever used a laundrette? They are disgusting. Sharing laundry facilities is real bottom of the ladder stuff (even if it happens in other countries). It's not something to inflict on people.

That said, I am used to the concept of each apartment having its own space in the basement for its own washer and dryer.

That seems very wasteful.