Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Re: 2016 US Presidential race - Making Threads Great Again.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 pm 
Nationalised

jmc wrote:
I was not talking about extra solar astronomical sources I was talking about background radiation from near orbit terrestrial sources. From the Van Allen Belt on in. Those very high energy electrons (Mev plus) can produce some very very high power RFI.

Aha. My bad -- you're absolutely right.

Coles2 wrote:
I appreciate your contribution but you appear to be assuming that the only harm that can be caused to cells by electro magnetic fields is through ionization on the atomic level and the creation of free radicals. You have reached that assumption because that is the mechanism that is understood, but we have already establishd that there are observed health impacts where the mechanism is not known.

Regarding RFI, I don't accept we have established that at all. Out of all the studies that have been done, the handful that showed any correlation fell a long way short of being definitive.

Coles2 wrote:
There is so much that we don't understand, and to try to present it as a closed case is 'flat earth science'. The exploration has barely started. Of course some of it will be proven to be wrong, but you really should keep an open mind.

Every crazy conspiracy theory starts with "there is so much we don't understand". That way lies tinfoil hattery. A huge amount of science is and always will be based on statistical inferences, not cast iron physical law. In my book, the odds at the moment are strongly against a link between low energy RFI and any pathology. Meanwhile, the positive benefits of modern communications are enormous. I'm all for precautionary principles, but right now I see little cause for concern.

Post subject: Re: Radiation issues - Split from US Election thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:08 pm 
Nationalised

Coles you could move here instead: There's a National Radio Quiet Zone where man-made EMR is banned. No petrol cars even due to RFI from spark plugs.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda