Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:58 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 129
Location: out of harms way
Hi,

I am working abroad but am paid into a AIB USD account.
I am trying to convert from this to my regular AIB account without getting robbed blind on the exchange rate.
I have tried currency fair but they won't activate an account for me because of where I am resident currently :roll:

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend an reliable alternative.

Many thanks,

Luko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:03 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5054
I use HiFX, though if you're being caught by AML regs then you may have the same problems as you had with CurrencyFair.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:24 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 129
Location: out of harms way
Eschatologist wrote:
I use HiFX, though if you're being caught by AML regs then you may have the same problems as you had with CurrencyFair.


What are AML regs please??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:37 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5054
Noljakka wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
I use HiFX, though if you're being caught by AML regs then you may have the same problems as you had with CurrencyFair.


What are AML regs please??

Anti-Money Laundering.

e.g.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007 ... tents/made

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:31 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 129
Location: out of harms way
Eschatologist wrote:
Noljakka wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
I use HiFX, though if you're being caught by AML regs then you may have the same problems as you had with CurrencyFair.


What are AML regs please??

Anti-Money Laundering.

e.g.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007 ... tents/made


Gotcha... but should that be an issue when transferring between two Irish accounts?
Taxes are deducted at source so I think I'm fine. Could it be a possibility that that it's not worth the hassle for CurrencyFair?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Sep 26, 2008
Posts: 1813
Location: Hey y'all
Noljakka wrote:
Hi,

I am working abroad but am paid into a AIB USD account.
I am trying to convert from this to my regular AIB account without getting robbed blind on the exchange rate.
I have tried currency fair but they won't activate an account for me because of where I am resident currently :roll:

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend an reliable alternative.

Many thanks,

Luko

I use currencyfair for the last four years but went through the bother of setting up a transfermate account this time last year because of problems I was having with country of residence and currencyfair. As it turned out I have never used the transfermate account to date

_________________
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." —Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 129
Location: out of harms way
mikewest wrote:
Noljakka wrote:
Hi,

I am working abroad but am paid into a AIB USD account.
I am trying to convert from this to my regular AIB account without getting robbed blind on the exchange rate.
I have tried currency fair but they won't activate an account for me because of where I am resident currently :roll:

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend an reliable alternative.

Many thanks,

Luko

I use currencyfair for the last four years but went through the bother of setting up a transfermate account this time last year because of problems I was having with country of residence and currencyfair. As it turned out I have never used the transfermate account to date


Thanks Mike,
I'll try transfermate
L


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 pm 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner
User avatar

Joined: Jan 8, 2008
Posts: 348
I use Transfermate, albeit on a business account and for Sterling, but found it simple and straight-forward. Rate and charges seem better than the banks too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting USD to EURO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Mar 3, 2009
Posts: 203
N26 or Revolut any use?

I've only used them for small transactions, they may have some limits.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com