Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Re: Builders’ bid for smaller apartments sparks Ministers’ f
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:07 am 
Under CAB Investigation

When I was childless and single in my mid-20s I spent maybe 15% of my life both awake and at home.

A modern, 35sqm studio apartment (if such a thing had existed in Dublin) would have been perfect. I would not really have cared about the aspect or needed a balcony. The 20th floor would have been fine.

Instead I was forced to share a house in the inner suburbs which was fine but not quite in line with the needs of me or my housemates.

Obviously families and older people have much different needs, spending much more of their waking life at home. But for the youth, very small apartments are what is needed.

Post subject: Re: Builders’ bid for smaller apartments sparks Ministers’ f
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 pm 
Property Magnate

bedsit wrote:
Builders’ bid for smaller apartments sparks Ministers’ fury - Irish Times

Pleas from the Construction Industry Federation for further State concessions for developers, including a radical reduction in apartment sizes, were firmly rejected by Ministers at a meeting last week. Mr Donohoe, in particular, was said to have been angered by the presentation from the federation’s Tom Parlon and Hubert Fitzpatrick.
One of the main issues they highlighted was that it felt it was not viable for developers to build apartments in Dublin and that smaller apartments would be more suitable for certain workers, such as those in tech firms such as Google and Facebook. It is also understood the federation advocated a further expansion of the Help to Buy scheme announced in the budget, which allows for an income tax refund to help first-time buyers accumulate a mortgage deposit. XX

I don't grant Ministers any moral authority to prevent me from buying an apartment of any size. If a builder wants to build an apartment the size of a closet, and I wish to buy it, no Minister has any business interfering.

If Ministers want to get my permission to interfere, they need to put in two to three decades of competent administration. Then and only then will I tolerate their input.