Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Councils legally obliged to house the deliberately homel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:01 pm 
Nationalised

grumpy wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Did the 'journalist' give her a 'right to reply'? If not, why not? What was the purpose of the piece?

Oh come on. From the article

Quote:
When details of Dublin City Council's offers of accommodation were put to Ms Fleming last week, she acknowledged the details related to her but said it "appears" to be "inaccurate information". However, when asked what parts of the information were inaccurate she declined to respond.

There were no offers of accommodation. There was an offer of a HAP payment if accommodation could be found.

grumpy wrote:
Without it being left wing or right wing I think her actions in refusing housing are shitty parenting.
"Keep your mouth shut or we'll take your child."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:03 pm 
Nationalised

Barney Gumble wrote:
I do wonder whether she is already in SF though - perhaps someone knows?
I have no idea if she is or isn't, but should her campaign be ignored if she is a member of a political party?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
I do wonder whether she is already in SF though - perhaps someone knows?
I have no idea if she is or isn't, but should her campaign be ignored if she is a member of a political party?

She's entitled to campaign for whatever she wants, the same as Tom Parlon can push his agenda. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

Regarding Erica Fleming, I believe she was offered a specific apartment in Clontarf?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Also, I still don't see how this was a hatchet job.
That's because you approve of it. The rightwinger within you likes it.

Wwow, you really explained your point on it being a hatchet job really well there. I think it's your own biases thats colouring your view of this.
I haven't made made a comment for or against

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:40 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The world changed but nobody told Erica.

She might have noticed all the immigrants over the last 20 years staying in private accommodation but it didn't register that the population was increasing hugely and was being housed predominantly in private accommodation . She might have noticed that the new builds were being done by and sold to private sector. She might have noticed all the people she knew who had bought their council house and that this would lower the stock for future council tenants didn't register either.

She wants it to be 19something but it's not. The token public housing stock populated by people with lifelong tenancies despite their increasing wealth and queue jumped by whatever sectional interest is cause de jour is broken forever.

It's not Erica's fault but that doesn't mean it's the State's or anyone else's responsibility

The biggest gimp in this whole debacle is Minister Coveney. He's supposed to be minister and he doesn't seem to get it at all

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Under CAB Investigation

All of these people could very comfortably and cheaply be housed in Ireland at much lower cost.

Hereis a four-bedroom, furnished house within walking distance of all amenities.

It is yours for €700 per month. The only catch is that it is in Longford.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 am 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
All of these people could very comfortably and cheaply be housed in Ireland at much lower cost.

Hereis a four-bedroom, furnished house within walking distance of all amenities.

It is yours for €700 per month. The only catch is that it is in Longford.
Indeed. No shortage of housing in areas with no employment or educational opportunities. I wonder if anyone has ever considered a solution to that problem? Maybe incentivising manufacturing industry (remember that?) to those areas? Creating incentives for remote working contracts? Nah. "The private market will sort it out." Just like it sorted out the Famine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:49 am 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
The world always changes but you seem to think it's now cast in stone. I assure you it's not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:58 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
Indeed. No shortage of housing in areas with no employment or educational opportunities. I wonder if anyone has ever considered a solution to that problem? Maybe incentivising manufacturing industry (remember that?) to those areas? Creating incentives for remote working contracts? Nah. "The private market will sort it out." Just like it sorted out the Famine.

There is primary and secondary education in Longford as good as anywhere else.

There are also plenty of jobs, albeit not with the level of pay or diversity of Dublin.

But why should the state house people in close proximity to vibrant labour markets if they show no ability to access them?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:13 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Because that's were all their friends and relatives live :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:19 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
But why should the state house people in close proximity to vibrant labour markets if they show no ability to access them?
How do they show 'no ability to access labour markets'? Who exactly are you talking about? If people who require social housing can't access a 'vibrant labour market' in Dublin then how are they supposed to access a non existing one in Longford?

Providing long term social housing benefits the entire society. The economic case for it is blindingly obvious. At present we pay €500 million a year in various rent supplements that goes directly towards inflating rents across the market which further increases the amount of rent supplement that has to be paid. Create affordable social housing and you lower rents right across the board which would massively reduce the amount of money that we pay to inflate rents. This benefits everybody.

It's going to happen because it has to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:35 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Moving the working poor to Longford at the State's expense does not sound like a brilliant plan, unless you happen to own property in Longford.

There are many victims of the State's incompetent execution of it's responsibilities w.r.t housing. Pitting one set of victims set against the other is not the way forward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:00 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
GameBlame wrote:
The world always changes but you seem to think it's now cast in stone. I assure you it's not.

We're supposed to play make believe that dublin isn't full of young EU immigrants working as Baristas and in call centres. And that they will get "forever homes" too at peppercorn rents. I assure they'd love cheap rent. I assure you they won't get it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:10 am 
Nationalised

@GameBlame, It's difficult to figure out what your point is. Could you edit it and post it up again. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The whole idea of a "housing list" is broken. It is 1990s thinking. The list is gamed by whatever sectional interest is preferred at a particular point in time (travellers, Syrians, single parents without the means to cover childcare).

We're all supposed to pretend there aren't loads and loads of people (like baristas and call centre workers) who wouldn't like and don't equally merit peppercorn "forever homes". These people aren't even on "the list". But they can end up living and paying rent in a normal commercial way in the same building as people who are on "the list" in their "forever homes" or with their 5 year tenancies for being special people.

Someone should really tell Erica.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property