Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Feb 9, 2010
Posts: 8704
Skippy 3 wrote:
LAs should still be building more than they currently do btw.

Does the 'completions' figure in the graph include properties that the councils/housing agencies acquire rather than build I wonder?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: May 12, 2012
Posts: 1366
Barney Gumble wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
LAs should still be building more than they currently do btw.

Does the 'completions' figure in the graph include properties that the councils/housing agencies acquire rather than build I wonder?


No.

Ministers like to trumpet a big gross figure. So they mix in purchases, new builds and renovations for press releases.

The statistic Coles2 is using is a long-standing series on new build dwellings by local authorities.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Feb 9, 2010
Posts: 8704
Skippy 3 wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
Does the 'completions' figure in the graph include properties that the councils/housing agencies acquire rather than build I wonder?


No.

Ministers like to trumpet a big gross figure. So they mix in purchases, new builds and renovations for press releases.

The statistic Coles2 is using is a long-standing series on new build dwellings by local authorities.

So the huge fall off in social housing completions in Coles' graph might be balanced to some degree by an increase in the acquisition of existing Tiger builds that would be sitting empty?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:45 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: May 12, 2012
Posts: 1366
Barney Gumble wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
Does the 'completions' figure in the graph include properties that the councils/housing agencies acquire rather than build I wonder?


No.

Ministers like to trumpet a big gross figure. So they mix in purchases, new builds and renovations for press releases.

The statistic Coles2 is using is a long-standing series on new build dwellings by local authorities.

So the huge fall off in social housing completions in Coles' graph might be balanced to some degree by an increase in the acquisition of existing Tiger builds that would be sitting empty?


Yes, but only to a small extent. Acquisitions is not even at the level of new builds ten years ago.

I don't have time to dig through the numbers at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 6965
Skippy 3 wrote:

Yes, but only to a small extent. Acquisitions is not even at the level of new builds ten years ago.

I don't have time to dig through the numbers at the moment.


Code:
Year                  TOTAL OUTPUT                                     
                  completions/                  acquisitions                  total delivered
                  units delivered
2004                  5,146                                                      971                                    6,117
2005                  6,064                                                      918                                    6,982
2006                  7,541                                                      1,153                                    8,694
2007                  9,589                                                      2,002                                    11,591
2008                  10,446                                                      787                                    11,233
2009                  9,809                                                      727                                    10,536
2010                  7,205                                                      850                                    8,055
2011                  6,666                                                      325                                    6,991
2012                  5,870                                                      351                                    6,221
2013                  4,421                                                      253                                    4,674
2014                  4,179                                                      183                                    4,362
2015                  9,469                                                      1,099                                    10,568


http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default ... nal_2.xlsx

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 6965
Quote:
The social housing budget has been increased by 50 per cent to €1.2 billion for next year to fund measures announced last July by Minister for Housing Simon Coveney as part of the €5.35 billion Rebuilding Ireland housing action plan.
The fund is intended to allow 21,000 households to be accommodated next year in social and private rented housing.


Long before Apollo House.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.2823729

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 6965
Mary Lou weighs in (of course)

Quote:
Promises made to homeless people in Apollo House must be fulfilled - Mary Lou McDonald TD


http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/43007

Good thing they are not in charge here because after almost 10 years of power sharing:

Quote:
Homelessness is at a higher rate in Northern Ireland than anywhere else in the UK, research has revealed.

One in 18 (5.7%) of all adults in the province said they had experienced homelessness, with 1.4% saying this had happened in the last five years.


http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 45982.html

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11175
Location: Multiverse
grumpy wrote:

Good thing they are not in charge here because after almost 10 years of power sharing:

Quote:
Homelessness is at a higher rate in Northern Ireland than anywhere else in the UK, research has revealed.

One in 18 (5.7%) of all adults in the province said they had experienced homelessness, with 1.4% saying this had happened in the last five years.


http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 45982.html



But that's the fault of those dastardly Brits, right ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:44 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Feb 9, 2010
Posts: 8704
mr_anderson wrote:
But that's the fault of those dastardly Brits, right ?

Yeah, those ones that actually provide the NI Exec with an actual living, breathing money tree so the NI citizen gets services way beyond what the taxpayer can afford...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 10658
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
Northern Ireland's Housing Ministers.

Image

If you even had a passing interest in Northern Irish politics you would be well aware of the efforts to reverse the DUP housing policy, but despite the ignorance you'll never see a Fine Gael rep criticise the DUP. If there was ever a United Ireland FG and the DUP would merge.

Does anyone really want to debate Northern Ireland housing policy? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:47 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 6965
Not really. But isn't it amazing that the Shinners have not made housing in the North a red line issue? It really matters of course.

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:04 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 10658
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 16401
Location: To the right of the decimal place
grumpy wrote:
Not really. But isn't it amazing that the Shinners have not made housing in the North a red line issue? It really matters of course.


They're too busy abolishing water charges...

_________________
Success is like being pregnant. People will congratulate you, but no one knows how many times you were fucked before you got there.

"You see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge." --Scroobius Pip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:12 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 10658
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
Mantissa wrote:
grumpy wrote:
Not really. But isn't it amazing that the Shinners have not made housing in the North a red line issue? It really matters of course.


They're too busy abolishing water charges...


You guys have really got your fingers on the pulse.

SF and DUP unite to prevent introduction of water charges in Northern Ireland, - Belfast Telegraph (Sept 2016)

Anyway, let's focus on the thread. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: May 12, 2012
Posts: 1366
Not just yet. From the same source.....

Northern Ireland is officially one of UK's costliest regions as fiscal deficit hits £9bn
Quote:
IN 2011-12 tax revenues raised in Northern Ireland were £14.1bn. In the same year, total government spending was £23.8bn. Admittedly, of that total, £19.4bn was actually spent in Northern Ireland.

The remaining £4.4bn combines Northern Ireland's share of certain UK-wide expenditures (eg defence, interest repayments on the national debt, international services) and an accounting adjustment to allow for the depreciation of public sector capital.

This implies Northern Ireland had a fiscal deficit of £9.6bn, equivalent to a third of the region's output or gross value added.



The gap between government revenue and expenditure in NI is £1 for every £3 produced in the entire economy of the region. This is absolutely massive, the kind of thing you generally only find in micro-regions and isolated islands which are part of wealthier countries.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Terra Incognita, Thargor and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to: