Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am 
Nationalised

I heard tommy Gavin on the radio this morning. One thing stuck in my head -- they want Coveney to "audit the hidden homeless" who he says include people living at home with their parents. WTF.

Is there any possible end game here other than that every Irish person will be given a house by the state when they turn 18?

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Apparently, a lot of adults who've been living out of the spare rooms of their parents gaffs have been declaring themselves homeless in the last year or so, and presenting themselves at Corpo houses as emergency cases. Then they head for the hotels and will be first in line for the upcoming gold rush of social housing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Ordered to leave by 12 noon today.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:
I heard tommy Gavin on the radio this morning. One thing stuck in my head -- they want Coveney to "audit the hidden homeless" who he says include people living at home with their parents. WTF.

Is there any possible end game here other than that every Irish person will be given a house by the state when they turn 18?

Not just any ol' free house though. "Needs" to be one within walking distance of the parents. Which generally means well inside the M50, and also within walking distance of city centre or at least on transport route. Otherwise it's "unsuitable." :-GC

I know that's an oversimplification, and I know there's an argument for housing people in areas where "they can access work."
But if they've already committed to a lifetime on the dole, after a certain number of years should they not be moved out to cheaper rural social housing? If it existed. Freeing up central urban housing for those who are unfortunately availing of the housing but are at least actively pursuing work?

I know this is fraught with many real difficulties, but, it's still galling that a working person can't necessarily afford to buy anywhere within M50 with a reasonably paid job. Whereas someone who doesn't have a job, and hasn't really had for years, and is not paying for their own accommodation, can demand to be placed in well-located accommodation.

Is part of the failing that: once you have the house it's yours until you die, or choose to be rehoused?

Could the accommodation not be allocated to you based on best-use for tranches of years? In other words if you are not incapacitated, and are not using the location to access work - you need to rotate out to a location that frees up the house for another to try?

Even if this was only assessed every 5-10 years, surely it would be a motivating factor to work towards keeping the house as your place of residence?

Can anyone clarify if anything remotely ressembling this is done with any social housing stock?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Ah now.
There are less than 7000 officially registered homeless people in the State.
In order to be registered as homeless, you need to to jump through many hoops for assessment by the Council. By reasoning of costs, the Council wish to have less people on their books. If you wish to appeal Council rejection for homeless services, your only option is the High Court.
There are thousands more who are not registered as homeless (hidden).. sleeping on floors, sofas, cars, tents etc for months/years on end with no prospect of it ending.
And then there are all the foreign nationals excluded from official figures who are literally left on the street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 pm 
Nationalised

€10 per night to sleep on a chair in an internet cafe. Dublin 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:05 pm 
Property Magnate

Temene & Coles2: I know - all of that genuine homelessness is shocking, and an awful situation to be in.

I was more referring to younger people living in the family home, or just getting older and deciding they want their own place to live - but want the state to provide it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Nationalised

FTBer wrote:
Temene & Coles2: I know - all of that genuine homelessness is shocking, and an awful situation to be in.

I was more referring to younger people living in the family home, or just getting older and deciding they want their own place to live - but want the state to provide it.

Why can't the State provide a basic level of accommodation? Far cheaper to rent out social housing at affordable levels than to continue to pay private landlords €500 million a year to keep their rents high, €100 million a year on homelessness services, negative health and education impacts for all involved, higher costs of living across the State etc, etc. The market can't fix this problem. It only makes it worse.

An interesting read.

High rents to vulture funds leave the economy. They are a parasitic drag. There's nothing good in Fine Gael's housing policy. It's an aberration; a disgrace; a disgusting perversion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:

Well at least that would lower renting costs and increase competitiveness in the economy. rather than lining the pockets of landlords. What % of TDs are landlords.
Who really wants high rent and property prices

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 pm 
Nationalised

Mannix Flynn on with Joe Duffy again talking shite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
Mannix Flynn on with Joe Duffy again talking shite.

His mural was burned down over the weekend. I wonder who did that?

next the rent-a-mob arsonists will show up at an "exhume the grave" virtue signalling demonstration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Coles2 wrote:

High rents to vulture funds leave the economy. They are a parasitic drag. There's nothing good in Fine Gael's housing policy. It's an aberration; a disgrace; a disgusting perversion.

While I think they should be paying proper taxes etc, and there's obviously lots of questionable deals, a point of order I'd make is that those vulture funds introduced capital into the economy, via NAMA, in the first place. This helped to replace some of the cash that had been borrowed short by Irish banks to fund Irish developers.

We needed foreign capital in, we can hardly then complain that the return on that capital doesn't stay in Ireland - only that said return, along with capital gains, are not being taxed appropriately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:48 pm 
Speculator

while I know it is totally anecdotal but speaking with a work colleague recently who's family is involved in volunteering with a couple of homeless shelters the numbers are totally skewed.

From what I have been told there was plenty of capacity in the shelters / hostels over the last few months and always have been (while I'd still have concerns about the conditions) .. but a large number of the people availing of the shelters are 'part-time homeless'; as in they have to present at least three nights a week to a homeless shelter to qualify for the additional benefits and the rest of the week they stay with partners, family etc

I'll probably be shot down for quoting hearsay but to me it is a decent source of info .. and info that can't be said publicly as it would attract all sorts of abuse from the bleeding hearts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

jammyBastard wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

While I think they should be paying proper taxes etc, and there's obviously lots of questionable deals, a point of order I'd make is that those vulture funds introduced capital into the economy, via NAMA, in the first place. This helped to replace some of the cash that had been borrowed short by Irish banks to fund Irish developers.

We needed foreign capital in, we can hardly then complain that the return on that capital doesn't stay in Ireland - only that said return, along with capital gains, are not being taxed appropriately.

They could also have just allowed prices to fall as per the operation of what many around here used to call 'free markets'...and allowed the market to do its job....the neo-liberals (or whatever) don't even have that particular canard to fall back on anymore given that it was the world of finance itself that effectively killed the 'free market' meme of their own volition.....

We've been in limbo ever since as in transferring 60 years worth of debt onto the taxpayer, they've effectively killed off much of what would have been future domestic growth....

Apollo House and the like stand (in limbo) as representative testament to the entire charade....as do the a significant percentage of the numerous beggars and homeless people living (in limbo) on the streets of Dublin and elsewhere....as do the many thousands of young Irish people who were sacrificed via emigration, many of whom exist, again, in limbo....as do the vulture fund landlord class ie one of the only players who would appear not to be stuck in a form of limbo...

In such a climate, history suggests that a strong lurch in the direction of either populist left or populist right politics would appear inevitable....which it might be in Irelands case isnt fully clear as of yet.....

Last edited by Poacher turned gamekeeper on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm 
Nationalised

Tfp2000 wrote:
I'll probably be shot down for quoting hearsay but to me it is a decent source of info .. and info that can't be said publicly as it would attract all sorts of abuse from the bleeding hearts

Ironic that the people actually getting out and working in the area can't speak out because they'd face abuse from people who like to talk about work in the area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next