Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dublin Airport, Illegal Immigration Racketeering Watch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I heard "Security analyst Declan Power" on Newstalk this morning trying his level best to downplay this story (for some inexplicable reason.) He kept using phrases such as "In fairness to... [DAA] and "credit where it's due..." He also stressed several times that "you can bet this is going on all over Europe..."

I was frankly astonished and when your woman Colette wrapped up the interview, Shane Coleman in fairness, came back in and said to him that this was a farcical situation and asked again, how it could have gone on so long undetected.

The papers this morning are talking about Mafia and Triad involvement - inside the supposedly secure area of Dublin airport - Jesus wept! Given the ongoing revelations about fake language schools, sham marriages and now this I've no hesitation in saying we've probably lost control of our borders. (The discovery of 70 foreign nationals living in a house not far from mine doesn't do anything to convince me otherwise.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 am 
Nationalised

You have to remember that DAA are primarily concerned with (1) money and (2) keeping the unions happy. As long as those are under control they couldn't give a toss. Their major concern about this will be whether they collected landing fees for the smuggled passengers, and whether they can charge Aer Lingus something extra to "re-certify" people or the like.

"You see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge." --Scroobius Pip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Evil_g wrote:
Why would anyone pay tens of thousands of euro to get from Rome to Ireland when they could (a) just enter Ireland on some sort of holiday visa and overstay or (b) stay in Rome and move around the Schengen area to their heart's content? Is it because we're English speaking?

Dozens, if not hundreds, of people in the airport had to have known about this, and a lot of them would have to have been in on it.

How can the authorities say with such confidence how long this has been going on for, how much it cost, how many have gotten in, and who was involved internationally?

It is very strange that there is no mention of any involvement of the authorities from other countries.

The 10k+ gets you from Asia (China) into Europe, not just Rome to Dublin. They obviously have false papers/airport contacts on the Asian side to get them on the plane- they then transit through European airports without having to show papers as they go straight to the Irish bound plane- then picked up on a Dublin runway and ferried away.

Gardai claiming this AM that they spotted this when 1 guy with a fake ID was identified but no issue was made at the time and they discreetly followed it up through this investigation. I really find it hard to believe that this wasn't first identified in Rome by the Italians or by Interpol.
Paul Reynolds RTE again saying this AM that the Gardai have said our reputation would have been more damaged if we hadn't discovered this scam- that we have shown we can uncover crimes like this [after up to 10 years!!!]. I can't get my head around this line of thinking :roll:

Last edited by FreeFallin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The UK angle is big here.
This news item from 2012 reports Albanian mafia bribing airport police in Rome to traffic people with fake papers to Dublin, final destination UK.

Last edited by temene on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 am 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
The 10k+ gets you from Asia (China) into Europe, nit just Rome to Dublin. They obviously have false papers/airport contacts on the Asian side to get them on the plane- they then transit through European airports without having to show papers as they go straight to the Irish bound plane- then picked up on a Dublin runway and ferried away.

I was struggling to understand the mechanics of it but that makes sense. Thanks for spelling it out. Although on my frequent travels from what might be considered 'higher risk' countries for illegal immigration I generally transit through Germany. Even though there is no passport control if not entering the Schengen zone the German police regularly have people stationed at the door of the plane profiling passengers and pulling some aside for document checks. I wonder do the Italians do the same and did this also have to be circumvented?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:52 am 
Under CAB Investigation

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
The 10k+ gets you from Asia (China) into Europe, nit just Rome to Dublin. They obviously have false papers/airport contacts on the Asian side to get them on the plane- they then transit through European airports without having to show papers as they go straight to the Irish bound plane- then picked up on a Dublin runway and ferried away.

I was struggling to understand the mechanics of it but that makes sense. Thanks for spelling it out. Although on my frequent travels from what might be considered 'higher risk' countries for illegal immigration I generally transit through Germany. Even though there is no passport control if not entering the Schengen zone the German police regularly have people stationed at the door of the plane profiling passengers and pulling some aside for document checks. I wonder do the Italians do the same and did this also have to be circumvented?

I'm pretty sure there is a passport check to fly from Rome (Frankfurt) to Dublin even for those who are only connecting flights. The border police in Schengen really fetish the passport, its not just about showing them the passport and they say "That's grand!"*.

Its becoming increasingly necessary for the boarding card to be scanned before entering the passport check/security zones.

* if you want to avoid the guard at the passport check at Dublin airport, one can use the automatic scanners that collects photograph data. EU passengers only.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thing Fish wrote:
I'm pretty sure there is a passport check to fly from Rome (Frankfurt) to Dublin even for those who are only connecting flights. The border police in Schengen really fetish the passport, its not just about showing them the passport and they say "That's grand!"*.

If you land at Frankfurt from outside the Schengen zone, and you are connecting to a flight with a destination outside the Schengen zone, you don't get your passport inspected by German officials unless you happen to be on a plane that is spotted checked at the jetway and you happen to be one of those chosen to be checked. You do have your passport checked by airline staff or contractors at the gate so the airline doesn't get fined for delivering someone to Ireland who isn't allowed entry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:

If you land at Frankfurt from outside the Schengen zone, and you are connecting to a flight with a destination outside the Schengen zone, you don't get your passport inspected by German officials unless you happen to be on a plane that is spotted checked at the jetway and you happen to be one of those chosen to be checked. You do have your passport checked by airline staff or contractors at the gate so the airline doesn't get fined for delivering someone to Ireland who isn't allowed entry.

Thanks for the claification.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Boston wrote:
I'd say the Brits are watching this with interest. If we are unwilling to control our own border than they will think twice about having an open border between the North and ROI once they leave the EU.

Keeping the Common Travel Area intact post-Brexit will mean a lot of extra effort and resources.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Bogus marriages much worse than previously thought, according to the Gardai. (Of course they bloody were - almost everything to do with asylum and illegal immigration into this country is "much worse" than any official figures suggest. How did this obvious scam get off the ground in the first place?)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2949938
More than half of all marriages in the Republic between men from outside the EU and non-Irish EU women in recent years are believed by gardaí to have been shams. The rates of such marriages have fallen so much since the Garda-led Operation Vantage began 18 months ago that senior officers now believe the abuse of the system was much more widespread than previously suspected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Of Systemic Importance

All this news about our 5hit border/immigration controls coming out now at a very sensitive time Brexit wise. Not good for the soft border advocates

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:05 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

All you need is a burka and an Irish womans passport and you can get into Ireland.

Dublin Airports twitter account confirms.

https://twitter.com/AshlingLarkin/statu ... 1893157888

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Bubblecovery wrote:
All you need is a burka and an Irish womans passport and you can get into Ireland.

WTF - that's lunacy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Nationalised

NegativeEquity wrote:
Bubblecovery wrote:

WTF - that's lunacy.

That's at security (leaving) not immigration. DAA have nothing to do with immigration.
Twas a good troll though.

"You see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge." --Scroobius Pip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Mantissa wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
Bubblecovery wrote:

WTF - that's lunacy.

That's at security (leaving) not immigration. DAA have nothing to do with immigration.
Twas a good troll though.

Still not sure its a good idea though...
Reminds me of a story in one of the hospitals I worked in, in the Middle East. A woman got caught trying to use her locally resident sister's id when getting a checkup and treatment. As she was fully covered she had passed through patient access & registration and nearly got away with it, only the doctor noticed something was amiss....it was when the doctor tried to make sense of the woman's indications and vitals, compared to the medical record, that it came to light.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next