Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Posts: 8609
Location: Australia
Not sure what the right forum for this is but its interesting and brings up a few questions.........


Quote:
Last year, Cape Town recorded its driest year since 1933, and the three years to the end of 2017 were also the driest period in those 84 years.

While water restrictions have been in place since last May, the city's water supply is expected to completely run out by mid-April.

Survival strategies

Speak to anyone from Cape Town and you will find they suddenly know an awful lot about how to save water.

"When we get together with friends it's all we talk about," says Louise Mullholand.

Her family are using their braai (barbecue) more often so they don't need to wash pots and pans. They're also collecting fresh water from a nearby spring to supplement their supply — "the queues are a nightmare and there is a security guard to make sure people only collect their allowance," she says.



Most keen water-savers take two-minute showers over buckets, reusing the water to flush their toilets.

Others avoid washing altogether. Elizabeth Bishop is getting her kids to eat their meals naked.

"Playground dirt and dust, the clothes just get re-worn, but food marks are pretty gross so we just avoid that," she says.



In an online thread, Despina Learmoth recommended spraying dirty clothes with a solution of water and vinegar before hanging them to air — then going out to buy loads of knickers.

"Or just stop wearing any at all!" she says.

Laurian Sachs has disconnected her washing machine from the plumbing and reuses the water in subsequent loads. Once it's too dirty, she uses it to flush the toilets.


Quote:
Capetonians are praying the heavens will open so their taps will not be switched off.

They are calling that moment Day Zero.



Quote:
Cape Town grew 2.6% from 2001 to 2011, reaching a metro population of 3.75 million. In 2013, the Western Cape was one of 4 provinces in South Africa that showed significant growth, with the Western Cape's population growing by nearly 1.5 million people over twelve years. The province's share of South Africa's population increased from 10.1% to 11.4% over this time.

Cape Town and the Western Cape are attracting many migrants, largely due to the area being an employment hub. Unfortunately, Cape Town cannot keep up with the pace of migration for long as it puts a great deal of pressure on the city

http://worldpopulationreview.com/world- ... opulation/

Interesting to watch this from Australia where migration is simply huge and water is scarce. Wonder how the next proper drought will go over here. There hasnt been a prolonged drought in the densely populated areas since the massive influx.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3292
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
I've been following this too.
The issues are
climate change - trade rain-bearing winds have shifted south for years
overpopulation - large influx of people that the State must by law provide water for, but infrastructure has not caught up
political will - ANC control most of ZA except the Cape which is an opposition stronghold, questionable polices pursued by both
personal responsibility - we all waste treated water, we should be more aware

Australia has controlled migration and a welfare safety net. Melbourne had a drought crisis last decade resulting in expensive desalination plants, water piped from Alps
ZA does not, this water shortage affecting millions will result in civil disorder.
Guardian - Let Cape Town revolutionise the way we think about water


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 11737
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
http://www.weathersa.co.za/climate/historical-rain-maps


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: 3425
Location: Bogtrotterland!
I was watching this story a few months ago, day zero is approaching rapidly as it was originally predicted to be May now it's April.
It also appears that some residents are not taking it seriously and wasting water, forcing the authorities to fit limiters to their pipes.
Unfortunately, the limiters can sometimes fail and cause thousands of litres of water to leak, thus making a bad situation worse.

_________________
"Democracy is like sausage, you want it, but you don't want to know how it is made". [John Godfrey Saxe]
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild


Last edited by dolanbaker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3292
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
It's the entire region that's affected.
Port Elizabeth (pop 1.15m) is also on drought watch. Similar to its drought in 1949, when it imported via sea in a rented 11000-ton oil tanker, millions of litres of fresh water from Durban in 17 round trips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:31 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 924
Interesting to see the emphasis on the immigrants here. I get the feeling that it's not the immigrants that are watering their lawns and golf courses , hosing down their SUVs and topping up their swimming pools in the gated communities of the Cape.

Edit: My bad :oops: I just realised that they are also immigrants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 4942
metalmike wrote:
Interesting to see the emphasis on the immigrants here.

It's a Blindjustice BATONEFFECT thread, of course it's about immigrants. :D

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Posts: 8609
Location: Australia
Its pointless talkin about climate change or sustainability Without addressing population (as opposed to migration but in many places population would be stable Without. Anyway im a migrant and have no issue with it if the infrastructure is there)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
Speculator

Joined: Aug 30, 2015
Posts: 433
There must be some sort of an opportunity to pipe or ship some of our excess water off to Spain/ Africa etc. It will probably happen at some point in the future when fresh water really gets scarce and expensive on a global scale. It might be a good investment on a 30-50 year view to buy a lake in Mayo, Galway, Clare, anywhere near the coast. A lake fed by a decent sized river with a large catchment area and with a natural fall to the sea would be ideal. Or maybe large boats will just come in into the Shannon and suck it up onboard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11607
Location: Multiverse
Given it's South Africa, I'd put the main emphasis on corruption.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 302
Location: Middle Earth
onioneater wrote:
There must be some sort of an opportunity to pipe or ship some of our excess water off to Spain/ Africa etc. It will probably happen at some point in the future when fresh water really gets scarce and expensive on a global scale. It might be a good investment on a 30-50 year view to buy a lake in Mayo, Galway, Clare, anywhere near the coast. A lake fed by a decent sized river with a large catchment area and with a natural fall to the sea would be ideal. Or maybe large boats will just come in into the Shannon and suck it up onboard.



I have idly pondered this in the past. If you talk to anyone living in Killaoe they will tell you Shell to Sea will look like an Enid Blyton story in comparison to the resistance to the plan to pump water from Lough Derg to Dublin. The other side of the coin, when Ireland is flooded during the winter there are large areas of farmland that could be drained perhaps to the coast to fill large tankers of maybe 300,000 tonnes. These ships would be cheaper than most of their size because the cargo is innocuous so no need for double hulls and other environmental safety systems associated with oil or LNG and the propulsion could be sail or sail assisted since the cargo is also not perishable.

Does 300,000m3 of water a month for 4 months of the year, Dec to Mar, help Capetown?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
Speculator

Joined: Aug 30, 2015
Posts: 433
owenm wrote:
onioneater wrote:
There must be some sort of an opportunity to pipe or ship some of our excess water off to Spain/ Africa etc. It will probably happen at some point in the future when fresh water really gets scarce and expensive on a global scale. It might be a good investment on a 30-50 year view to buy a lake in Mayo, Galway, Clare, anywhere near the coast. A lake fed by a decent sized river with a large catchment area and with a natural fall to the sea would be ideal. Or maybe large boats will just come in into the Shannon and suck it up onboard.



I have idly pondered this in the past. If you talk to anyone living in Killaoe they will tell you Shell to Sea will look like an Enid Blyton story in comparison to the resistance to the plan to pump water from Lough Derg to Dublin. The other side of the coin, when Ireland is flooded during the winter there are large areas of farmland that could be drained perhaps to the coast to fill large tankers of maybe 300,000 tonnes. These ships would be cheaper than most of their size because the cargo is innocuous so no need for double hulls and other environmental safety systems associated with oil or LNG and the propulsion could be sail or sail assisted since the cargo is also not perishable.

Does 300,000m3 of water a month for 4 months of the year, Dec to Mar, help Capetown?


I don't know anything about the economics of shipping but obviously it is a "win-win" to move water from somewhere with an excess (West of Ireland/Midlands) to somewhere in the world with a deficit, and I imagine that at some point in the future the economics will work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3292
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
Transporting water that distance would be ridiculous given our current modern technology.
Capetown could produce plenty of water by harvesting all the springs on table mountain, erect fog catchers due to the cold Benguela current, desalination plants using solar/wind energy, and my favourite, tow an iceberg 5000km from Antarctica


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 4942
onioneater wrote:
I don't know anything about the economics of shipping but obviously it is a "win-win" to move water from somewhere with an excess (West of Ireland/Midlands) to somewhere in the world with a deficit, and I imagine that at some point in the future the economics will work.

I did some maths for pumping.

Roman acqueducts had a fall of about 1:5000.

So for freshwater to flow 10,000 km it would be need to be pumped to a height of 2km, or 20mj (5.5kwh) per cubic metre, or about a 90c/m3 at consumer rates, call it a euro per cubic metre with small pumping losses.

That's the same price as the consumer water rates in SA (at lower levels of usage).

Plus the capital costs of building a 10,000 km closed intercontinental aquaduct. :D

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Day Zero - Cape Town Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm 
Offline
Speculator

Joined: Aug 30, 2015
Posts: 433
temene wrote:
Capetown could produce plenty of water by harvesting all the springs on table mountain,


Thanks for that link. I can't believe that the authorities in South Africa haven't got around to tapping into the water resources coming from Table Mountain to solve their problems in the Cape Town area. Pure ineptitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anco_reeves and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com