Post subject: Re: Ireland's housing crisis is completely normal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Epicurus wrote:
CBI release each month will only show balance, not the underlying transactions. But Property price register could give approximation of volumes.

Thanks for the tip.

Taking Dublin, there are 15k entries on the PPR for 2015, 2016, and 13.3k so far in 2017 (probably will top the 16k )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 am 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
Conor Skehan says it again: 'Homelessness is a normal thing'
http://www.thejournal.ie/homelessness-n ... 0-Nov2017/

http://www.macgillsummerschool.com/dr-conor-skehan/

He's a planner. And an expert at "foresighting"

Planners are Ireland's most doctrinaire, but least capable profession. But outrageously certain of themselves. When you're really doctrinaire and certain it looks like you get to be in charge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:14 pm 
Too Big to Fail

FineGael re-appoint Conor Skehan for another year as Housing Agency chief
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 61955.html

Simple incompetence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
Nationalised

The Patrick Neary of Housing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 pm 
Speculator

Looks his rhetoric isnt welcomed by those in the homelessness crisis industry :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I sense Varadkar doing a lot of signalling at present - to the Brits most obviously. To HSE managers and Docs lately. This looks like Eoghan Murphy taking an opportunity to do something similar. Skehan himself may be a bit irrelevant in all this - just the right guy at the right time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 pm 
Nationalised

cyrusir wrote:
Looks his rhetoric isnt welcomed by those in the homelessness crisis industry :x
What a silly comment.

Last edited by Coles2 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

AWAAF wrote:
I sense Varadkar doing a lot of signalling at present - to the Brits most obviously. To HSE managers and Docs lately. This looks like Eoghan Murphy taking an opportunity to do something similar. Skehan himself may be a bit irrelevant in all this - just the right guy at the right time.

+1 but is it "signalling" or "baiting"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 am 
Speculator

Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
What a silly comment.

In what way ? I would suggest it’s quite an accurate comment unless you deny that there is a homeless industry here ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 pm 
Nationalised

cyrusir wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
What a silly comment.

In what way ? I would suggest it’s quite an accurate comment unless you deny that there is a homeless industry here ?
The "homeless industry"? :lol:

That sounds like a bullshit term used by people who know nothing about the topic. Convince me otherwise! Tell me everything you know about the 'homeless industry'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:

That sounds like a bullshit term used by people who know nothing about the topic. Convince me otherwise! Tell me everything you know about the 'homeless industry'.

How many different homeless charities are there and what's their total annual funding ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

mr_anderson wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

How many different homeless charities are there and what's their total annual funding ?

Some info here...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 04937.html

The Dublin Homeless Network represents the 23 charities across Dublin - that's one charity for almost every seven rough sleepers in Dublin or for around almost every 100 homeless nationally.

In 2010, in Dublin alone, there were four outreach services, 24 day centres, support and advice services, 14 emergency facilities, 20 transitional housing services, 14 long-term supported housing services and four settlement services.
This does not include domestic violence services or services for homeless young people. More significantly, it does not include 33 private emergency accommodation facilities.Each bed in emergency accommodation in Dublin costs approximately €28,000 a year, with beds in supported temporary accommodation costing approximately €29,000.

Between them, the 23 homeless charities in Dublin employ nearly 900 full-time equivalent employees in statutory and voluntary homeless services and several hundred more on a part-time basis. CSO filings examined for 2013 show that the top 12 homeless charities receive over €78m in income of which well over €25m is spent on staff payroll.

Surely the time has come to examine what is being done with all of this money - and, in particular, what the many homelessness charities are doing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 pm 
Nationalised

HiFi wrote:
Between them, the 23 homeless charities in Dublin employ nearly 900 full-time equivalent employees in statutory and voluntary homeless services and several hundred more on a part-time basis. CSO filings examined for 2013 show that the top 12 homeless charities receive over €78m in income of which well over €25m is spent on staff payroll.

Jesus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
What a silly comment.

The "homeless industry"? :lol:

Let’s start the ball rolling wth circa 900 full time employees working for charities supporting the homeless in Dublin.

But hey, what do I know :)

Last edited by Luan on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

There is a homelessness industry unfortunately. €50m spent on hotels, €m's spent on highly paid charity jobsworths.
However, that is the Government's fault for offloading their obligations to citizens (shelter, welfare, etc) to charities, who duplicate the work repeatedly. Most of the funding should go to building housing, which would start fixing the problem - remember that the majority of homeless persons are simply poor, turfed out of the accommodation market by high rents/nothing available/failed state policies.