Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Confident in Cape Verde
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This resort featured in the Sunday Times "Wish you were Here" advertorial section. Article on the opposite page was about people buying abroad, not doing their research and getting screwed. Both sections were written by Siobhan maguire (coincidental name presumably).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Thanks to Google translate I have emailed the Cape Verde government to enquire about the land that Flash Developments claim to be purchasing from them. Will post the reply, assuming I get one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:03 am 
Private Tenant

Is it just me, or has Ms Marcele Bernandes (see the executive staff page) just been promoted to the position of ''senior architect''?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 am 
Too Big to Fail

EI321 wrote:
Is it just me, or has Ms Marcele Bernandes (see the executive staff page) just been promoted to the position of ''senior architect''?

I can't recall her having a more junior position, however she may have been replaced by now! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 am 
Nationalised

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am 
Too Big to Fail

BrendanG wrote:
Thanks to Google translate I have emailed the Cape Verde government to enquire about the land that Flash Developments claim to be purchasing from them. Will post the reply, assuming I get one.

I have just got a reply from the contact given to me when I enquired through the Cape Verde Government website, not happy reading for anyone who has invested in Palm View resort:

Quote:
Dear ********

Regarding your question, I would like to inform you that:

1. Curral Velho is out of the ZDTIs (Integrated Tourism Development Zones); so, it is out of ZDTI of Santa Mónica, what means that public facilities will not reach that place.

2. Curral Velho, by law, is classified as a protected area (Protect Landscape), what imply that it is not ease to implement an investment of €2.2 billion there.

3. All projects in tourism sector for Boa Vista and Maio islands must be approved by SDTIBM, even those located out of ZDTIs; up till now, the SDTIBM did not receive any project for Curral Velho.

4. Implementing a project of €2.2 billion in a protect area involves changes in the respective law, with agreement of the Ministry of Environment.

5. The SDTIBM is finishing the master plans for all ZDTIs of Boa Vista, foreseeing the capacity (rooms) for all the island; an investment of €2.2 billion in tourism sector must be done accordingly to the planning; if not, the sustainability of the tourism development of the zone will be in danger.

6. Lands belonging to the State of Cape Verde, located out of ZDTIs, are sold only by the "Direcção-Geral do Património do Estado", accordingly to Cape Verde Investment Agency proposals.

7. It is very risky to invest in Boa Vista and Maio Island without dealing directly with the SDTIBM or their formally authorized partners.

Kind regards,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:32 pm 
Property Magnate

BrendanG wrote:
BrendanG wrote:

I have just got a reply from the contact given to me when I enquired through the Cape Verde Government website, not happy reading for anyone who has invested in Palm View resort:

Quote:
Dear ********

Regarding your question, I would like to inform you that:

1. Curral Velho is out of the ZDTIs (Integrated Tourism Development Zones); so, it is out of ZDTI of Santa Mónica, what means that public facilities will not reach that place.
[SNIP]

Great journalism there, BG!

Makes this strange story even more amusing! I just hope that nobody has lost their money on this.

The scam alert for me was a line somewhere (in this thread? on another site?) that the Maguire executive team were 'head-hunted from around the world' and then it lists three executives, all named Maguire!

EDIT: Having read thru the whole thread again (what entertainment!), I found the reference to the exec. team (posted by theschmuck.):

Quote:
MEET THE EXECUTIVE STAFF

Ciaran Maguire group is made up of a lead team of professionals that have been hand picked from around the World (sic) with a level of expertise not known to its rival companies.

Ciaran Maguire Chairman and President
Christopher Maguire Executive Director
Declan Maguire Head of Gaming Operations
:roll:

Last edited by Hobo Sapiens on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:40 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Hobo Sapiens wrote:
I just hope that nobody has lost their money on this.

I afraid quite a few people have already placed deposits and in some cases have signed contracts to purchase in Palm View resort.

A number of people have posted on the boa vista experience forum that they having been trying to get their "refundable" deposits back, so far without success!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47 pm 
Property Magnate

This story gets stranger and stranger :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

fishfoodie wrote:
You could try flagging it to the folks in TV3. Given that the late, late allowed it self to get taken in by this muppet & that it also got taken in by a certain missing solicitor. I'm sure they'd love the opportunity to make RTE look like fools.

TV3 also ran a competition in cooperation with this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:30 pm 
Nationalised

Calina wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
You could try flagging it to the folks in TV3. Given that the late, late allowed it self to get taken in by this muppet & that it also got taken in by a certain missing solicitor. I'm sure they'd love the opportunity to make RTE look like fools.

TV3 also ran a competition in cooperation with this.

Here are the details

Quote:
http://www.tv3.ie/competition.php?view_ ... ID=1.65.68

Fancy winning a 7-night to Cape Verde? At a 5-star resort, with food, beverages plus return flights and transfers? Look no further.

Xpose have teamed up with the Palm View Resort on Boa Vista Island, Cape Verde, just south of the Canary Islands.

We're giving you a chance to win a trip for 2 for 7 nights in a 5* resort, with food, beverages plus Return flights and transfers.

The Ciarán Maguire Group launched the luxurious Palm View Resort on Boa Vista Island, Cape Verde.The first phase of this magnificent resort is released this week for purchase to the Irish market, you could buy a property for as little as €10,000 euro with nothing further to pay until 2020.

For your chance to win ,

call 1516 999 333

or

text WIN to 57003

to answer this question........

A lotion that protects the skin against the suns rays is know as ...?

A) sun-screen

B) sunday

C) sun trap

Competition terms and conditions apply.

The lucky winner will be announced on Monday 20 Oct 2008.

Calls cost €1.50 p/call S.P. Opera Telecom Ph: 0818 286606

Texts cost €1 x 2 S.P. Phonovation Ph: 0818 217100

Terms and Conditions apply see 3text pg 696

Lines close at 2.00pm Monday 20 Oct 2008

Image .....you could buy a property for as little as €10,000 euro with nothing further to pay until 2020

Now if that does not set alarm bells ringing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:39 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Time for someone to draft a complaint to the Consumer Protection Agency, seems like there is sufficient info. here to put one otgether. Would be interesting to know how the competition winners are getting along with their prizes, i.e. are they going ahead or did they offer something else.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
Property Magnate

Green Bear wrote:

The lucky winner will be announced on Monday 20 Oct 2008.

Lines close at 2.00pm Monday 20 Oct 2008

Any announcements on this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 pm 
Property Magnate

Damn, jabaar beat me to it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Great thread, guys. Baffling, but I'm still not convinced it's a scam. I mean - it seems that these are real people, with an address in Dublin, their pics are plastered all over the place, young Ciaran seems to have the whole family involved - what were they going to do when the scam was discovered? Disappear en masse to somewhere with no extradition treaty? How many deposits would they need to be able to pull that off? And would any ageing parents really go along with it? And, as many have pointed out, these are very small units for a six, sorry, seven star resort. Why not tell a more convincing lie, if you're going to the bother of lying at all? And why not hire an editor, along with the flash designers, come to think of it?

On the other hand, if it's not a scam, I don't know what it is. I don't think any reputable PR agency would take a stunt this far. Could Ciaran have been scammed himself? If he's this thick, maybe he's the frontman for the real scammer?

Edit: Boy, would I love to win one of those prizes :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next