Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...] debt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:17 pm 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Feb 2, 2010
Posts: 15
Today on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.ie/news/1minister-says-some-bondholders-will-have-to-share-banking-debts38/
Quote:
November 25th, 20100 Comments The Minister for Finance has confirmed that bondholders at Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide will be made to share the pain of Irish banking debts.

Minister Brian Lenihan was responding to suggestions by the spokesperson for the EU Commissioner on Economic and Monetary Affairs Olli Rehn that bondholders should take a hit in the on-going banking negotiations.

Speaking in Dublin this afternoon Minister Lenihan said subordinate bondholders at certain banking institutions can expect to suffer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 1478
Location: Doorway of an old Hotel
autumn wrote:
Today on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.ie/news/1minister-says-some-bondholders-will-have-to-share-banking-debts38/
Quote:
November 25th, 20100 Comments The Minister for Finance has confirmed that bondholders at Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide will be made to share the pain of Irish banking debts.

Minister Brian Lenihan was responding to suggestions by the spokesperson for the EU Commissioner on Economic and Monetary Affairs Olli Rehn that bondholders should take a hit in the on-going banking negotiations.

Speaking in Dublin this afternoon Minister Lenihan said subordinate bondholders at certain banking institutions can expect to suffer.


Must be the deaf , dumb and blind bondholers that he is talking about .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:02 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Jan 29, 2008
Posts: 3133
Location: In a greener field.
everybody knows wrote:
autumn wrote:
Today on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.ie/news/1minister-says-some-bondholders-will-have-to-share-banking-debts38/
Quote:
November 25th, 20100 Comments The Minister for Finance has confirmed that bondholders at Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide will be made to share the pain of Irish banking debts.

Minister Brian Lenihan was responding to suggestions by the spokesperson for the EU Commissioner on Economic and Monetary Affairs Olli Rehn that bondholders should take a hit in the on-going banking negotiations.

Speaking in Dublin this afternoon Minister Lenihan said subordinate bondholders at certain banking institutions can expect to suffer.


Must be the deaf , dumb and blind bondholers that he is talking about .


Yeh, but they sure play a mean pinball.

_________________
The best way to predict your future is to create it. - Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 28585
Location: Tullamore
Is he really only talking about subordinate bonds? But surely that is mostly done?

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 30, 2008
Posts: 363
Subbies only? That's a joke. It's not enough. It should be all non ELG bonds.

As usual Lenihan is a day late and a dollar short.

He should fuck off back to the Four Courts...he's been out of his depth since the start of this crisis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:09 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Jun 2, 2007
Posts: 3797
Location: Top of the Bubble
Looks like bondholders in Anglo are happy at the news.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:19 pm 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 30, 2008
Posts: 363
@yogan: Maybe he'd talking about AIB and BoI...Could a resolution regime finally be on the way?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:22 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 28585
Location: Tullamore
dirtysquatter wrote:
@yogan: Maybe he'd talking about AIB and BoI...Could a resolution regime finally be on the way?

Pah, if you listen to the audio, it is historical about Anglo and INBS. The tone of the conversation suggests the government is resisting moves to impose losses with the impetus coming from the IMF and latterly the EU (probably under IMF prodding there there is no alternative?).

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:22 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Nov 7, 2006
Posts: 5308
Location: Cloud 9
Dreaded_Estate wrote:
Looks like bondholders in Anglo are happy at the news.

Image


8000 what?

_________________
Landlord throwing you out on your ear so he can sell?
Need to save a few bob?
Then take a look at the bargain aisle
http://www.thebargainaisle.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:07 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Posts: 4532
There HAS to be something up. All of a sudden there is all this talk of sharing the pain. What about this Al Erian chap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11835044

WTF? He holds trillions of € of goverment debt. This is all very odd.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:10 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Apr 19, 2010
Posts: 1423
Maybe this is why FF are holding on, maybe they want their names to be associated with the investors taking their share of the pain and hence FF will end up looking like champions of the people, Jesus wept it might actually work!! XX

_________________
I don't to be in a club that would have Ireland as a member.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:20 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 4, 2009
Posts: 1163
Looks like Pimco have finally sh-t their pants at the thought of a disorderly default. About f-cking time. It is in the creditors' interest that the international financial system doesn't go to hell in a hand-basket. We better leave Lenny and Cowen in the negotiations for the moment. Looks like they are doing a great job, ably abetted by Batt O'Keefe (his "time to panic the hoop" pronouncements on Primetime) and Michael Noonan (if we're left hanging we won't be hanging alone). :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:31 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 28585
Location: Tullamore
Larry wrote:
There HAS to be something up. All of a sudden there is all this talk of sharing the pain. What about this Al Erian chap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11835044

WTF? He holds trillions of € of goverment debt. This is all very odd.

Mr. El Erian's comments were made a couple of days ago and reported here. There are two points to note:
1. Pimco are very long sovereign bonds and so very short inflation. Haircutting bank debt would generally be good for sovereign bonds and deflationary.
2. If Pimco are saying this publicly, they and other buyers of sovereign debt must also be saying it privately. This has big implications for larger states with big banking systems. If the bond markets start to make judgements on sovereign risk based on the size of the banking sector, it could increase costs to states whether their banking system goes bust or not. The pressure is on and not just from the left...

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:44 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Jun 2, 2007
Posts: 3797
Location: Top of the Bubble
whizzbang wrote:
Dreaded_Estate wrote:
Looks like bondholders in Anglo are happy at the news.

Image


8000 what?


8,000bps CDS spread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minister says some bondholders will have to share [...]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:15 pm 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Nov 25, 2010
Posts: 6
everybody knows wrote:
autumn wrote:
Today on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.ie/news/1minister-says-some-bondholders-will-have-to-share-banking-debts38/
Quote:
November 25th, 20100 Comments The Minister for Finance has confirmed that bondholders at Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide will be made to share the pain of Irish banking debts.

Minister Brian Lenihan was responding to suggestions by the spokesperson for the EU Commissioner on Economic and Monetary Affairs Olli Rehn that bondholders should take a hit in the on-going banking negotiations.

Speaking in Dublin this afternoon Minister Lenihan said subordinate bondholders at certain banking institutions can expect to suffer.


Must be the deaf , dumb and blind bondholers that he is talking about .


Pig-soldier Lenihan will know that those international money makers must now never suffer any of the pain inflicted on us Irish !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to: