Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Much like Esat, DOB is I'd say 100% convinced he's done nothing wrong. Hand on heart stuff. He'd look plaintively at you and tell you how much good work he does.

In Ireland it makes sense to hire an ex communications minister and ex senior civil servant to your bid team and have a word socially with as many decision makers as possible and put in calls get any little snippet of information that's helpful. Other things might have happened in the Esat bid too.

If a man is convinced and has evidence to support that this works and is "normal", he will see no problem with it. And he'll be completely hurt that anyone else would allege anything untoward has gone on.

In Ireland it's perfectly normal for the wealthy to cut through all that bullshit chain of command compliance stuff and go straight to the top. It will only stop when the guy at the top refuses to take their call and says "No, Sorry, Follow the process. Talk to your relationship manager". The "relationship managers" in any organisation in Ireland know that if they displease a HPP, their boss will get a call.

This is why I can see things from Pat Neary's perspective (Mr 630k Pension Lump Sum). If he'd shouted stop a network would have started a chorus about him being "too red tape", "not commercially minded" blah blah. He'd have been shunted into something inoccuous.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:24 pm 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
This is why I can see things from Pat Neary's perspective (Mr 630k Pension Lump Sum). If he'd shouted stop a network would have started a chorus about him being "too red tape", "not commercially minded" blah blah. He'd have been shunted into something inoccuous.

But based on what I've heard him say (and I can't remember the exact quotes) it seems that he wasn't really aware that his job was to police the banks. 'They should have known better' was the gist of his explanation as to why he wasn't out there checking what they were doing. It would be a bit like the Garda Commissioner confining all his men to barracks, and when told that criminals had gone on a rampage, saying 'But they know they aren't supposed to do that'. As if that is a reasonable response and the happenings were somehow unforeseeable. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
GameBlame wrote:

But based on what I've heard him say (and I can't remember the exact quotes) it seems that he wasn't really aware that his job was to police the banks. 'They should have known better' was the gist of his explanation as to why he wasn't out there checking what they were doing. It would be a bit like the Garda Commissioner confining all his men to barracks, and when told that criminals had gone on a rampage, saying 'But they know they aren't supposed to do that'. As if that is a reasonable response and the happenings were somehow unforeseeable. Bizarre.

Apologies yes. I didn't mean to say that he had offered this "perspective" as to why he did nothing.

The perspective I meant was that in general terms he had risen through the ranks and survived so what other kind of a regulator was he ever going to be ? A bit like the boss guy in Reggie Perrin....except the quote would "I didn't get where I am today by kicking up a fuss"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6