Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:51 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 5123
Location: SthDub
Newstalk is gas this morning. Being listening to the B'fast show and can hear no mention of any of this hoo-haa.
And to think of the fine journalists that are Chris and Ivan (in fairness, he calls himself an entertainer)!!! They should stick to the Ploughing Championship or getting frantic about their support for the Yes campaign in the Marriage referendum.

He who pays the piper


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Feb 6, 2007
Posts: 4172
Barney Gumble wrote:
So it seems a certain wealthy individual was paying 1% interest on a 500 million euro loan, rather than the 7.5% that might have been expected, and the story has been hushed up due to an injunction granted by an FG appointed judge. You couldn't make this up. I'm not saying that FG are complicit in this, but they've certainly engineered it so that it looks that way to the man on the street.

Help me out here lads. Are these the Siteserv loans or are they separate loans to DOB personally?
It's very hard to make any sense out of all this, primarily because of the strictures on reporting.

_________________
When Chuck Norris buys a house he wears a Bertiebasher T shirt - ewd3

Ruminations of a Rain Sozzled Paddy blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2009
Posts: 5311
Location: Utopia
Some detail in the Grauniad: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/may/29/irelands-media-silenced-over-mps-speech-about-denis-obrien
Speech is also on the Oireachtas website: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2015052800027


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:48 am 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 30993
Location: Tullamore
ex-Patrick wrote:

Ah, that's one way to keep it quiet... :lol:
He'd have done better to have the storm in a teacup blow over in Ireland and not get further than a small column in the business pages...

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:58 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Posts: 4280
Location: Mesopotatia


Also from the broadsheet article:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/28/red ... rest-rate/

Quote:
Scary update: Solicitors acting for Denis O’Brien have asked us to remove this post asserting that it is a breach of a High Court Order [O’Brien Vs RTÉ]. They gave a 7pm deadline or they would begin injunction proceedings. We have replied that article 15.12 of the constitution allows all Dáil statements “wherever published” to be privileged and we currently await their response.

Update: In response, Denis O’Brien’s legal representative said the High Court ruling “covers what could be reported about what was said in the Dáil by Catherine Murphy” and again put us ‘on notice’. Unfortunately The judge in the case never revealed the terms of the injunction. In a statement tonight Catherine Murphy said: “I am a public representative. Information came to me, from a number of reliable sources, that is, without doubt, in the public interest. I have a duty to put that information into the public domain and I fully intend to fulfill my democratic mandate.”

_________________
The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Posts: 2099
gaius wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
So it seems a certain wealthy individual was paying 1% interest on a 500 million euro loan, rather than the 7.5% that might have been expected, and the story has been hushed up due to an injunction granted by an FG appointed judge. You couldn't make this up. I'm not saying that FG are complicit in this, but they've certainly engineered it so that it looks that way to the man on the street.

Help me out here lads. Are these the Siteserv loans or are they separate loans to DOB personally?
It's very hard to make any sense out of all this, primarily because of the strictures on reporting.

He had substantial borrowings that predated his involvement in Siteserv. That was brought up in relation to one of the IBRC officers having to recuse himself from involvement in the Siteserv disposal as he was already responsible for DO'B's other borrowings.

_________________
banana republic, septic isle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Posts: 4280
Location: Mesopotatia
RTE have come out of cover having originally pulled the story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704498-dail-leaders/

I wonder if it will make the news on the TellyBox :x

_________________
The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:47 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Posts: 568
Dubhgeannain wrote:
RTE have come out of cover having originally pulled the story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704498-dail-leaders/

I wonder if it will make the news on the TellyBox :x



Quote:
Mr O'Brien today accused Ms Murphy of making false statements about him. He said it was a deliberate abuse of Dáil privilege.


That would be defamatory unless he can prove that it's true wouldn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Feb 6, 2007
Posts: 4172
JohnnyTheFox wrote:
gaius wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
So it seems a certain wealthy individual was paying 1% interest on a 500 million euro loan, rather than the 7.5% that might have been expected, and the story has been hushed up due to an injunction granted by an FG appointed judge. You couldn't make this up. I'm not saying that FG are complicit in this, but they've certainly engineered it so that it looks that way to the man on the street.

Help me out here lads. Are these the Siteserv loans or are they separate loans to DOB personally?
It's very hard to make any sense out of all this, primarily because of the strictures on reporting.

He had substantial borrowings that predated his involvement in Siteserv. That was brought up in relation to one of the IBRC officers having to recuse himself from involvement in the Siteserv disposal as he was already responsible for DO'B's other borrowings.

Thank you.

_________________
When Chuck Norris buys a house he wears a Bertiebasher T shirt - ewd3

Ruminations of a Rain Sozzled Paddy blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:47 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Jan 4, 2010
Posts: 730
Location: Talamh an Éisc
As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:00 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 4735
Ardillaun wrote:
As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.


Would help to see the text of his injunction. That judgement isn't available afaik but I am open to correction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Feb 6, 2007
Posts: 4172
Ardillaun wrote:
As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

_________________
When Chuck Norris buys a house he wears a Bertiebasher T shirt - ewd3

Ruminations of a Rain Sozzled Paddy blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 6982
Calina wrote:
Ardillaun wrote:
As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.


Would help to see the text of his injunction. That judgement isn't available afaik but I am open to correction.


The terms of the injunction prohibited reporting the terms of the injunction AFAIK.

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:06 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Posts: 1380
ex-Patrick wrote:


I'm sure they were already aware, but I forwarded the Guardian piece to the NYT, WaPo, and NPR, with a suggestion they do a piece on "Media Mogul Muzzles Media".

NYT are in print with this on May 30.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/world ... .html?_r=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:46 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 30993
Location: Tullamore
Another article in the Grauniad today.

And one on the BBC mobile news app...

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to: