Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great & good aka High Profile Persons (HPP) debtor revie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:51 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Newstalk is gas this morning. Being listening to the B'fast show and can hear no mention of any of this hoo-haa.
And to think of the fine journalists that are Chris and Ivan (in fairness, he calls himself an entertainer)!!! They should stick to the Ploughing Championship or getting frantic about their support for the Yes campaign in the Marriage referendum.

He who pays the piper

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 am 
Too Big to Fail

Barney Gumble wrote:
So it seems a certain wealthy individual was paying 1% interest on a 500 million euro loan, rather than the 7.5% that might have been expected, and the story has been hushed up due to an injunction granted by an FG appointed judge. You couldn't make this up. I'm not saying that FG are complicit in this, but they've certainly engineered it so that it looks that way to the man on the street.

Help me out here lads. Are these the Siteserv loans or are they separate loans to DOB personally?
It's very hard to make any sense out of all this, primarily because of the strictures on reporting.

Ruminations of a Rain Sozzled Paddy blog

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Some detail in the Grauniad: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/may/29/irelands-media-silenced-over-mps-speech-about-denis-obrien
Speech is also on the Oireachtas website: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2015052800027

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:48 am 
IMF'd

ex-Patrick wrote:

Ah, that's one way to keep it quiet... :lol:
He'd have done better to have the storm in a teacup blow over in Ireland and not get further than a small column in the business pages...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:58 am 
Too Big to Fail

Also from the broadsheet article:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/28/red ... rest-rate/

Quote:
Scary update: Solicitors acting for Denis O’Brien have asked us to remove this post asserting that it is a breach of a High Court Order [O’Brien Vs RTÉ]. They gave a 7pm deadline or they would begin injunction proceedings. We have replied that article 15.12 of the constitution allows all Dáil statements “wherever published” to be privileged and we currently await their response.

Update: In response, Denis O’Brien’s legal representative said the High Court ruling “covers what could be reported about what was said in the Dáil by Catherine Murphy” and again put us ‘on notice’. Unfortunately The judge in the case never revealed the terms of the injunction. In a statement tonight Catherine Murphy said: “I am a public representative. Information came to me, from a number of reliable sources, that is, without doubt, in the public interest. I have a duty to put that information into the public domain and I fully intend to fulfill my democratic mandate.”

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 am 
Under CAB Investigation

gaius wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:
So it seems a certain wealthy individual was paying 1% interest on a 500 million euro loan, rather than the 7.5% that might have been expected, and the story has been hushed up due to an injunction granted by an FG appointed judge. You couldn't make this up. I'm not saying that FG are complicit in this, but they've certainly engineered it so that it looks that way to the man on the street.

Help me out here lads. Are these the Siteserv loans or are they separate loans to DOB personally?
It's very hard to make any sense out of all this, primarily because of the strictures on reporting.

He had substantial borrowings that predated his involvement in Siteserv. That was brought up in relation to one of the IBRC officers having to recuse himself from involvement in the Siteserv disposal as he was already responsible for DO'B's other borrowings.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 am 
Too Big to Fail

RTE have come out of cover having originally pulled the story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704498-dail-leaders/

I wonder if it will make the news on the TellyBox :x

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:47 am 
Property Magnate

Dubhgeannain wrote:
RTE have come out of cover having originally pulled the story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704498-dail-leaders/

I wonder if it will make the news on the TellyBox :x

Quote:
Mr O'Brien today accused Ms Murphy of making false statements about him. He said it was a deliberate abuse of Dáil privilege.

That would be defamatory unless he can prove that it's true wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am 
Too Big to Fail

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
gaius wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:

He had substantial borrowings that predated his involvement in Siteserv. That was brought up in relation to one of the IBRC officers having to recuse himself from involvement in the Siteserv disposal as he was already responsible for DO'B's other borrowings.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:47 pm 
Property Magnate

As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:00 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Ardillaun wrote:
As mentioned above, he's only made it into a bigger story by trying to stop it coming out. Even in Ireland, it's very difficult to halt the leakage of a tale as big as this.

Apparently, Dinny's boys think his injunction also covers any Dail statement on the matter. More legal gravy for the lads.

Would help to see the text of his injunction. That judgement isn't available afaik but I am open to correction.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Ardillaun wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Calina wrote:
Ardillaun wrote:

Would help to see the text of his injunction. That judgement isn't available afaik but I am open to correction.

The terms of the injunction prohibited reporting the terms of the injunction AFAIK.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:06 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

ex-Patrick wrote:

I'm sure they were already aware, but I forwarded the Guardian piece to the NYT, WaPo, and NPR, with a suggestion they do a piece on "Media Mogul Muzzles Media".

NYT are in print with this on May 30.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/world ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:46 pm 
IMF'd

Another article in the Grauniad today.

And one on the BBC mobile news app...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next