Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: FitzPatrick applies for State to pay his legal costs
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:22 am 
Nationalised

FitzPatrick applies for State to pay his legal costs - Conor Gallagher -> http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/f ... 70004.html

Quote:
Yesterday, counsel for Mr FitzPatrick, Michael O’Higgins, asked Judge Martin Nolan to fix a date for a costs application on behalf of his client. Mr FitzPatrick, aged 65, did not attend the short hearing.

Judge Nolan put the matter back to June 5, when he will hear submissions from Mr FitzPatrick and the DPP on whether the State should pay the costs of the former chairman’s defence.

there is more

Post subject: Re: FitzPatrick applies for State to pay his legal costs
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:58 pm 
Nationalised

Can he not apply to his wife ?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

mr_anderson wrote:

:D
Nicely!
Might be useful to take a leaf from the American legal scene and query a few 'transfers' here!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Tis Meself wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:

Nicely!
Might be useful to take a leaf from the American legal scene and query a few 'transfers' here!

Might be nice to have a legal scene, or one that's fit for purpose (not saying the American one is great). This country is a joke.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:15 am 
Too Big to Fail

Well he was found innocent.

Anyone, however unlikeable, should not be burdened with massive legal debt for a crime they have been found not to have committed

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:34 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
TheJackal wrote:
Well he was found innocent.

Anyone, however unlikeable, should not be burdened with massive legal debt for a crime they have been found not to have committed

It's not about likeability, it's the brokenness of the system which is failing to enforce any meaningful consequences for destructive behaviour. The verdict is a big part of that, as well as the steps now coming after (discharge of bankruptcy, legal aid, etc.,)

It's not even about Fitzpatrick for me, he's an old man now and unlikely to do further harm... It's rather about the example it sets and the future behaviour it will encourage. (In particular that ignorance of events is a defence, and since ignorance is one thing we have in surplus in Ireland, that sets the scene for some interesting events in the future)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:46 am 
Nationalised

Sean Fitzpatrick asking taxpayers to foot his €1 million legal bill is a step too far - Aine Hegarty -> http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-opi ... ot-3615593

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

TAXPAYERS will not have to foot the estimated €1m legal bill for former Anglo Irish Bank chairman Sean FitzPatrick. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... D9Fs9.dpuf
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 78045.html
Quote:
Circuit Court judge Martin Nolan has rejected an application by Mr FitzPatrick's legal team that he should not be liable for the cost of defending himself during his recent 48-day criminal trial.
Last March, Mr FitzPatrick, of Greystones, Co Wicklow, was acquitted, at the direction of Judge Nolan, of 16 counts of providing illegal loans to the Quinn family and the Maple 10 group of investors.
Insurers refused to cover the legal costs of Mr FitzPatrick, an undischarged bankrupt who did not seek legal aid.
Mr FitzPatrick's defence was privately funded after he was refused directors and officers' liability (D&O) cover.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

He's extremely cheeky (as most rich people are) He reminds me of our indigenous, wandering ethnic minority in a way.

Fitzpikey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:06 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Happy enough to Sean taking some pain here but can some one set me straight on the judges logic here? Seems to be that innocent people can be forced to defend themselves at very high cost as long as the agency prosecuting them behaves fairly. Surely that can't be right!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Seems it's because he is a bankrupt so it would not be fair to reward him with money when he never paid his legal fees in the first place. I'm guessing it's the same principle as when someone who is receiving free legal aid isn't entitled to a refund of the defence costs!

But even so, I don't understand the problem that the law has with cases funded by third parties.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Fitzpatrick to challenge decision on costs:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0728/633629 ... ick-anglo/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 am 
Too Big to Fail

Not surprising. He did win his case...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 am 
Nationalised

Is he representing himself? :|

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28 am 
Homeless

TheEmigrant wrote:
Seems it's because he is a bankrupt so it would not be fair to reward him with money when he never paid his legal fees in the first place. I'm guessing it's the same principle as when someone who is receiving free legal aid isn't entitled to a refund of the defence costs!

But even so, I don't understand the problem that the law has with cases funded by third parties.
Well, Seánie was innocent. Innocent I tells ya! What's more, he must have known he was innocent all along.

So the million yoyos he blew on defending himself was utterly and unneccessarily extravagent. Why should the state fund such wastefulness? All he had to do was draft a statement for the court outlining why he was innocent, the glaring truth of which would have swatted away the entirity of the frivolous and pointless prosecution. That might have set him back a couple of grand at most.

If I decide to pave the road outside my house with gold slabs, I can hardly invoice the county council for the work, can I?

Luckily for Seánie, he has an independantly wealthy wife - so he can well afford his legal costs.

He really was lucky in love, wasn't he?